Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
WWYD- Neighbor wants my wifi code
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

groisamomma

Post Tue, Aug 20 2013, 9:49 pm
EmesOrNT wrote:
groisamomma wrote:
Everything people do on your WIFI gets traced back to your I.P. address.

Before we had internet I asked my neighbor for her code and she said she uses the code of someone across the street, who then gave it to me. I used it twice total, to track an order I made that hadn't arrived. B"H dh saw the need for internet and we got it.

So I see why people might need it once or twice here and there. But when a new neighbor moved in and asked for my code I gave it to her. I was uneasy about it because it was her sister in the same house that relied on the neighbor's WIFI and I was afraid she would constantly use it so I just changed the passcode. Her dh came knocking that it's down and I told him I have no idea why it's not working.

But why wouldn't you be honest? She asked if she could use it, she did, now she can't.

Good question. Probably because English is not their first language and I may have misunderstood that it's long-term. More likely because I've seen her dh when he doesn't get his way and I chose not to be the recipient of that anger, thank you. Wink

shlomitsmum

Post Tue, Aug 20 2013, 9:51 pm
read this op.
full article ...
http://news.cnet.com/FAQ-Wi-Fi......html

relevant excerpt .

How about sharing?

Is it legal for me to share my cable modem or DSL connection with my neighbors?
In many cases the answer is no. It depends on the wording of your contract with your broadband provider. Many don't want you to share. As far back as 2002, Time Warner Cable was sending warnings to customers with open Wi-Fi access points, and a year later it sued an apartment complex on charges of illicit sharing. Also, AT&T Broadband has acknowledged monitoring customers for "inordinately high" usage.

"Our terms of service for Verizon Online DSL customers do prohibit them from sharing their connection," says Verizon spokeswoman Bobbi Henson. "The service is meant for use in one location, which would be their home."

Henson adds: "We haven't seen a lot of problems with this, to tell you the truth. Because of the way the DSL network is configured (with one line into each house), sharing doesn't cause us the network problems, frankly, that it can cause for cable. If we were to receive some kind of complaint, like maybe a neighbor calls and says, 'I know my neighbor is sharing my connection and it's making me mad because other neighbors are getting it for free,' we might warn that customer."

amother

Post Tue, Aug 20 2013, 10:04 pm
So annoying..I have same problem but with few neighbors that keep asking & no the name is not identifying but by process of elimination they know its us..I feel to stupid saying no and they all use it for WiFi on their phone etc. & it forsure slows our service down & we foot the bill but feel to nerdy daying something abt it..but actually don't like it..& they know I not thrilled cuz I said I had to spk it over with hus etc but then gave in after alot of pressure from them..

causemommysaid

Post Tue, Aug 20 2013, 10:21 pm
shlomitsmum wrote:
read this op.
full article ...
http://news.cnet.com/FAQ-Wi-Fi......html

relevant excerpt .

How about sharing?

Is it legal for me to share my cable modem or DSL connection with my neighbors?
In many cases the answer is no. It depends on the wording of your contract with your broadband provider. Many don't want you to share. As far back as 2002, Time Warner Cable was sending warnings to customers with open Wi-Fi access points, and a year later it sued an apartment complex on charges of illicit sharing. Also, AT&T Broadband has acknowledged monitoring customers for "inordinately high" usage.

"Our terms of service for Verizon Online DSL customers do prohibit them from sharing their connection," says Verizon spokeswoman Bobbi Henson. "The service is meant for use in one location, which would be their home."

Henson adds: "We haven't seen a lot of problems with this, to tell you the truth. Because of the way the DSL network is configured (with one line into each house), sharing doesn't cause us the network problems, frankly, that it can cause for cable. If we were to receive some kind of complaint, like maybe a neighbor calls and says, 'I know my neighbor is sharing my connection and it's making me mad because other neighbors are getting it for free,' we might warn that customer."

Comcast is ok with it last I checked. So long as its "under one roof" so apartments and multi family homes are ok.

spinkles

Post Tue, Aug 20 2013, 10:23 pm
shock It's shocking to hear so many stories of people expecting a neighbor to pay for THEIR internet. I don't get how anyone would think this was a normal thing to ask.

oliveoil

Post Tue, Aug 20 2013, 10:32 pm
amother wrote:
So annoying..I have same problem but with few neighbors that keep asking & no the name is not identifying but by process of elimination they know its us..I feel to stupid saying no and they all use it for WiFi on their phone etc. & it forsure slows our service down & we foot the bill but feel to nerdy daying something abt it..but actually don't like it..& they know I not thrilled cuz I said I had to spk it over with hus etc but then gave in after alot of pressure from them..

Just change the password and tell them you don't know why its not working.

Maya

Post Tue, Aug 20 2013, 10:35 pm
chana_f wrote:
shock It's shocking to hear so many stories of people expecting a neighbor to pay for THEIR internet. I don't get how anyone would think this was a normal thing to ask.

I don't either. We've given out our password on a one-time basis in the past, but we always changed it a few days later to make sure that the neighbor couldn't continue mooching off us. Perhaps we're selfish people, but that's how we see it.

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Aug 20 2013, 10:35 pm
There are a couple people in my area that have open wifi and I often see the chasidish guys who "dont have internet" with their phones standing by my wall using the internet.
Our locked wifi is called "get your own" Smile

Maya

Post Tue, Aug 20 2013, 10:37 pm
chocolate chips wrote:
There are a couple people in my area that have open wifi and I often see the chasidish guys who "dont have internet" with their phones standing by my wall using the internet.
Our locked wifi is called "get your own" Smile

Love it!

groisamomma

Post Tue, Aug 20 2013, 11:56 pm
AFAIK you don't use wifi when you access the internet from a phone.

One of our neighbors had unsecured wifi and we asked her to put a passcode up after a group of yeshivish teenagers pulled up outside the house for too long too many nights in a row.

sara53

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 12:02 am
"You cant access wifi from a phone"

You wanna bet???

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 12:04 am
I always use WiFi on my phone at home. It's much faster than the service I get using my cell phone provider.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 12:04 am
groisamomma wrote:

One of our neighbors had unsecured wifi and we asked her to put a passcode up after a group of yeshivish teenagers pulled up outside the house for too long too many nights in a row.
Of course you can. My husband has an iphone. He can sit right next to me and check his email on his phone while I am on the computer.

Cookies n Cream

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 12:24 am
groisamomma wrote:

You can either use data or wifi.

imamiri

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 12:41 am
groisamomma wrote:

We do! The data plans in Canada are such that data is free over wifi but you only get so much (and then pay overage charges) using 3G.

bamamama

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 1:54 am
imamiri wrote:
groisamomma wrote:

We do! The data plans in Canada are such that data is free over wifi but you only get so much (and then pay overage charges) using 3G.

Yeah that. I don't have a data plan but I do know where all the playgrounds that have open wifi are Wink

smilingmom

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 6:48 am
I am just so shocked at how many imamothers are proud to be selfish.

MommyZ

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 7:11 am
Since when is it selfish to not give away Internet service for free?

smilingmom

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 7:50 am
MommyZ wrote:
Since when is it selfish to not give away Internet service for free?

When you can help someone with no loss to yourself and you refuse to do so, that is selfish.

If you were driving to a wedding and your neighbor was taking public transportation to the same wedding, would it not be selfish to say or think 'buy your own car, why should I let you have use of my car for free.'

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 7:58 am
Who said it doesn't harm people?

Most of the time giving out your wifi code significantly slows down your internet.
Leaving your internet insecure leaves you open to hackers and strongly takes away the security of private transactions you might be doing.

There is nothing wrong with doing a small favor on occasion if it causes a slight inconvenience.
To request such a thing on a regular basis is asking a lot. That is all that posters are saying.
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette