Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Moving tips anyone?!
1  2  Next

S.Shcwartz

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 6:44 pm
I'm IYH moving in June. I'd like to hear some practical advice on the moving- packing itself, what to start with, little things that may slip my mind etc. Also, how to make the first few days in new home more relaxing and therefore enjoyable.
I am pesach cleaning now, should I have anything specific in mind, like organize anything in a certain order?

shoy18

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 6:48 pm
The only thing I can tell you is be as orginized as you can packing, and pack neatly, so when you unpack you wont have to redo everything you can just take out of boxes and put away.

Another big help is have your cleaning girl in the new place cleaning and lining all the cabinets and drawers in the kitchen while the movers pack up, then when they arrive have her unpack the kitchen which is the hardest part

shoy18

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 6:49 pm
Oh and DONT USE NEWSPAPER when packing your dishes, they leave stains go to the packing store and get WHITE paper.

And for stuff that isnt heavy you can go to the supermarket and buy boxes for a dollar, for china and stuff buy proper China boxes

HappyPurim

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 7:10 pm
I moved may 15th a year ago, I started packing before pesach basically everything went into boxes, I packed so slowly I enjoyed every minute of it, no pressure at all, the silver and jewelry I had taken over to my mom, I didnt want to be afraid of losing them. g'luck

mommy2

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 7:51 pm
label each box, and write which room it will go into. This way the movers can put it into the correct room. The movers were very impressed by how organized it was cuz it was all labeled and so clear.

1 stupid mistake I did was keep a bottle of bleach. It cracked and leaked all over the boxes in the truck etc. So dont keep bleach or other stuff that can crack.

queen

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 7:54 pm
label each box with a number. (and destination room in new place)
have a notebook that you list what basically is in each box. Makes it easier in the new place, when looking for things- don't need to open a million boxes- just check your ntbk.

(great idea to start a thread with moving tips!)

Hatzlacha!

Twizzlers

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 8:02 pm
I thought of this idea as I was packing today (moving in 3 weeks iyh)

I folded a piece of paper in half like a card and taped one onto each box. on the outside I wrote which room it belongs in and on the inside I wrote what the box contains. this way, the movers will know which room to put what in, and as soon as e/t is in the correct location, I will rip off the top half of the paper and be able to see what is in every box.
for me this is extremely important as I will be arriving in my new place 1 week before pesach and MUST know where all my chometz items are located!

I hope this idea will help me be organized and avoid having to consult with notebooks and lists that I will probably lose Rolling Eyes

please keep the suggestions coming!

shanie5

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 11:09 pm
along w/ labeling the boxes which room they go in, it helps if u have colored stickers to put on the boxes. all blue stickers go to dining room , all yellow to kitchen etc...

also, if possible, move whatever u can from your kitchen a day or 2 before. that way its all ready for u once u move.

another tip-put all linen u will need that first night in a few bags and take it w/ you-so when u need to make the beds u dont have to start opening boxes to look for linen-this is especially helpful when u have kids who need to go to sleep at a semi-decent hour.

get wine boxes to pack your glasses in-they have seaparaters in them to prevent breakage.

if s/o offers help-accept

my personal-dont get cleaning help w/ alcohol or drug problem-oy vey, she didnt let the movers go up the steps w/ our furniture Mad

Secbeb

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 11:33 pm
If you are hiring a moving company, take pictures of what they are transporting and don't sign for anything when they arrive until after you're sure everything is accounted for and nothing's broken. My mother made a cross-country move and there were so many things missing. She had to fight tooth and nail just to get some compensation and it was miniscule at best. Good luck!

brooklyn

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 7:08 am
Use this as an oportunity to get rid of your garbage. Things that have been siiting in a basement or attic for years are probably thing that you will not use again. Throw out or give away things that you don't need.

ssbarnes

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 7:18 am
Is this a local or long distance move?

We move every 3-5 years due to DH's work. Thankfully, they supply movers to do the packing & shlepping. This is what I have learned:

Get replacement cost insurance. If the movers break or lose something, the basic insurance devalues your possessions. If my 5 y/o sofa is destroyed, they may only give me $300. I can't replace it for that. The cost is worth the peace of mind alone.

Take pictures/video of everything before you start packing. Place the current newspaper in the photos/video to prove the date that the pictures were taken.

Pack a suitcase with a couple days worth of clothes, linenes and toiletries that you will want as soon as you get to your new home (including a roll of toilet paper and paper towels).

Do NOT let the movers take anything that is irreplacable. Family heirlooms and antiques are not worth risking.

If you have a computer and they are moving it, hand carry the hard drive. This way, if they "lose" the computer, you still have all of your data (yes this has happened to us).

Make sure to have two people watching the movers.

Have plenty of water on hand for the movers.

Make sure to have an area of the home (closet, den, bathroom) designated for things you do NOT want moved. Place a sign on that door with the word "NO" on it. This is where you want to hide your chemicals and especially your trash. I can't tell you how many people I know that have had their garbage moved.

If you have pets, dont' have them in the house.

If you have children, they shouldn't be home when the movers come.

As you clean your house for Pesach, get your possessions as organized as possible. This will make the packing and unpacking proccess go easier.

Anything you don't want, get rid of it. No point in paying to move it only to get rid of it later.

The movers should sticker each box with a number. The paperwork will indicate a description. If you are doing the packing, put a good description and the room it is supposed to go into.

I always have high dollar items listed seperately. Those boxes I open and inspect before I release the movers.

YALT

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 7:27 am
I also labeled all my boxes w/ which room it goes in and colored stickers/numbers... in a notebook. It was really amazing.

Another very important thing...
Don't pack any books/seforim in big boxes!
The perfect size box is a wine box. Most books fit in there, and it's heavy enough to be happy you didn't pack it in bigger boxes, yet light enough that you can carry it. You won't need to spend 2 movers moving 1 box, and psychologically, the mover thinks, such a small box, I can take 2. The work will get done quicker.

Prepare suppers in the freezer in advance for atleast the first week that you're living there (even for the last few days in the old house). Then you just pull out of freezer, and pop into oven - no time needed.

If you're getting cable/phone wires/ any services that they'll need to connect wires throughout your house, do it before you move in. No furniture will be in his way and the mess can be cleaned up before all your stuff comes in. Do it before the cleaner comes.

Get a cleaner to come clean the whole house top to bottom right before anything gets moved in.
Don't forget to bring the cleaning supplies that she'll need!!!!

Good luck!

S.Shcwartz

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 6:21 pm
Thank you so much! These tips are very helpful...
but...where do I start?!!!

shoy18

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 6:53 pm
When I packed heavy seforim, I threw in dolls and stuffed animals into the boxes, so they wouldn't get to heavy and I wont have to waste boxes on tons and tons of dolls!!!

Twizzlers

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 7:08 pm
start with whatever u wont need before you move.

I started with sefarim that dh wouldnt be using in the near future, machzorim, the kids clothes that were too small, extra china, yom tov stuff like menorahs, esrog boxes....

DF79

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 10:26 pm
Hire movers.... look on craigslist... REAL CHEAP ! we found 3 for 60$ an hour. It was so worth it.
Also give yourself time to recouperate. Its very stressful to move. I also hired my cleaning lady to help me unpack... very lifesaving.

Meema2Kids

Post Wed, Mar 21 2007, 4:06 pm
Where is a good place to get boxes for moving?

DF79

Post Wed, Mar 21 2007, 5:03 pm
go to grocery stores and you can get them free.
Moving companies sell all size boxes, VERY sturdy but for a small fee.
Sometimes on craigslist people give away their moving boxes when they are finished with them.

lotte

Post Wed, Mar 21 2007, 9:08 pm
I would hire one of those heimishe services that do all the packing & organaing for you I see them advertize in local magazines.
And another tip:lots of Volume pills handy... LOL Help
Just kidding.
We moved once when we had only 1 baby-and I felt as if it was the END of the world.I told my dh next time I move it's only to my own house!

Squash

Post Wed, Mar 21 2007, 9:13 pm
I think u meant valium, ten.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics