Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
How do I make a pesachdik shabbos this year?
1  2  Next

RedVines

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 11:56 pm
I dont understand HOW to accomplish this? As long as it is kosher l'pesach? Can we gebroks food...but than we have to have I cleared away?

I just dont get it...please explain!

shalhevet

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 2:41 am
Cook the food in Pesachdik pans, dishes etc. About cooking gebrokts, ask your rav if there is a problem about the utensils afterwards (different opinions). Obviously there is no problem with eating gebrokts on disposable, or chametz dishes. Same as far as kitnios.

In the kitchen put the food onto clean disposable plates etc. This is one-way traffic! If you want a refill you take a new plate from the kitchen for more.

You can do this (if you are careful) onto clean chometz dishes if the environment or a few$$ are more important than your sanity. Wink Ask your rav for full instructions (hot, spicy, cold etc).

You then eat your (what was once) Pesachdik food with challa in a different room/ balcony/ garden. You can add other chometzdik food here which doesn't need to be kept in the kitchen.

Another option is what we do if Erev Pesach is on Shabbos, which is to make kiddush, wash and eat challa in some corner. Then move to a Pesachdik room (after you have brushed yourself down from crumbs) to eat your Pesachdik meal on Pesachdik plates.

RedVines

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 9:33 am
thank you! I just couldnt wrap my mind around it and you helped clear some things up!

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 10:01 am
You can get take out food from the butcher too. Don't forget, you have to have challah and you don't want your Pesach stuff out with challah!!!!!

shalhevet

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 10:05 am
chocolate moose wrote:
You can get take out food from the butcher too. Don't forget, you have to have challah and you don't want your Pesach stuff out with challah!!!!!

Why not, if they aren't near each other? Mine are in different rooms. What do you suggest? That no-one eats bread the week before Pesach too? (No matza either!)

And not everyone can afford/ has available or wants take out.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 10:19 am
By us, it's part of the Pesach budget. It has to be. We have to eat and have koyach and if we're busy cleaning, we can't do both. We don't live in a big house with a Pesach kitchen.

There is no way we're going to have challah and Pesach togetheer!

Tila

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 12:41 pm
two shuls and a couple of steibles are offering shabbat meals pre peasch. How about orginizing one in your shul or steibel

Raisin

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 1:46 pm
re gebrokts - don't forget some (all?) people have the minhag not to eat matza close to Pesach. Not sure if this applys to matza meal, or only actual matza.

I have done it before, similar to how Shalhevet said. Pesachdig food, but challa first.

Marion

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 2:01 pm
We usually use pita on Shabbat haGadol, especially when it's so close to Pesach itself. Fewer crumbs, and no leftovers.

baseballmom

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 2:06 pm
Marion wrote:
We usually use pita on Shabbat haGadol, especially when it's so close to Pesach itself. Fewer crumbs, and no leftovers.

What a great idea. thanks Cheers

chen

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 3:02 pm
When shabbos hagodol is also erev pesach, the whole house is pesachdik and we serve a regular pesachdik meal EXCEPT we make motzi on small challahs on a snack tray in the hall , clean it off with a tissue, flush the tissue and any crumbs down the toilet and wash our mouths out in the bathroom sink before continuing with the rest of the meal.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 3:56 pm
tO MAKE A Pes. Shabbos you have to be all cleaned, kashered, and shopped by friday morning or afternoon. that's a tall order.

we're going to make a simple shabbos with take out food and some convenience food. we could eat in shul for $20 each, but I'm sure we're going to be too tired to want to sit around, all dressed up, and my kids like to read and come back to the meal later. so, that doesn't work for us.l

we'll buy fish and chicken and challos . . . we'll prob skip soup & cholent AND MAKE SIMple salads in disposable containers.

shalhevet

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 4:08 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
tO MAKE A Pes. Shabbos you have to be all cleaned, kashered, and shopped by friday morning or afternoon. that's a tall order.

Why? Imagine that Pesach was Friday night or Motzai Shabbos. I'm not so organized, but I've already made that my deadline for the kitchen. I'll do my living room on Sunday. Actually last time Pesach was like this I found it easier since my kitchen had to be kashered earlier.

Quote:

we're going to make a simple shabbos with take out food and some convenience food.

I already wrote that not everyone can afford this option. I'm sure there are also people who live in places where kosher take-out is unavailable. And some people may be limited by special diets. Your comment about making it part of the budget does not help those who are wondering where they'll have the money to buy all the (non-takeout) food they need for Pesach. With a large family take-out is a very large expense.

Quote:

we'll buy fish and chicken and challos . . . we'll prob skip soup & cholent AND MAKE SIMple salads in disposable containers.

I like as much as possible to still honour Shabbos. There is a (tongue in cheek) question: Why is it called Shabbos Hagadol when it looks like the least important Shabbos of the year? Sad I guess everyone needs to find their own balance between kovod Shabbos and making life easier.

cindy324

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 4:25 pm
Quote:

well if not by friday then when??? Sunday ? By sunday morning I want to get started with the cooking. I don't still want to be covering up the kitchen and I certainly DO NOT want to be grocery shopping - OMG imagine the stores here in Brooklyn on Sunday shock

Quote:
Why? Imagine that Pesach was Friday night or Motzai Shabbos.

No biggie. I think we've had that 3 times since I 'm married, that Pesach was Mottzei shabbos. It was actually easier , because my DH is a big challah fan, so it was a lot easier to convince him that we shold only buy small rolls rather than a huge challa with lots of crumbs. LOL

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 4:55 pm
Shalhevet, it's an option HERE. For US. We don't have a Pesach kitchen and DH gets neurotic this time of year !!!!!

If it's not an option for others, then they have to make do with what they have - either they have a Pesach kitchen or they eat out, or they eat sandwiches on the porch, I have no idea!

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 5:06 pm
Put 4 layers of plastic table cloths on table. Chicken, potatoes, and salad friday night cooked in disposable pans and eaten on disposable plates. Lunch = cholent made in crockpot and chicken and salad. (Clean crockpot in bathtub Smile )Challah will be taken out in plastic bags and eaten and then throw first layer of plastic tablecloth with crumbs. Then set table and eat meal on next layer of tablecloth. Same next day.
Sweep up under table motzei shabbos.

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 5:35 pm
Raisin wrote:
re gebrokts - don't forget some (all?) people have the minhag not to eat matza close to Pesach. Not sure if this applys to matza meal, or only actual matza..
This question came up last year, when I asked the Rav if we needed to make a new eruv for Shabbos haGadol, or could use the same one from last year's pesachdike eruv matza.

He said to make a new one, but cautioned that we can't make the brocha unless the old eruv no longer exists, so it has to be destroyed. But we can't throw it out, and we can't eat it either because it's after Rosh Chodesh Nissan. It was actually erev Shabbos haGadol. What a dilemma!

The eitzah the Rav gave was to crumble it up and make a matzoh brie, or kneidlach with it! Idea I guess that answers your question, Raisin.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 11:33 pm
Quote:
But we can't throw it out, and we can't eat it either because it's after Rosh Chodesh Nissan. It was actually erev Shabbos haGadol. What a dilemma!

Could you explain, please...what do you mean after RC Nissan? I would like to understand...and...

The eitzah the Rav gave was to crumble it up and make a matzoh brie, or kneidlach with it! I guess that answers your question, Raisin.
Quote:

So that means you can make gebroks in your pesachdik pots beforehand?

amother

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 11:34 pm
[quote="amother"][quote]But we can't throw it out, and we can't eat it either because it's after Rosh Chodesh Nissan. It was actually erev Shabbos haGadol. What a dilemma!

The eitzah the Rav gave was to crumble it up and make a matzoh brie, or kneidlach with it! I guess that answers your question, Raisin.
Quote:

Could you explain, please...what do you mean after RC Nissan? I would like to understand...and...

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Mar 14 2007, 12:08 am
Quote:
No. it means you can eat the matzoh in the form of matzoh meal, even though we can't eat matzah itself. I made a chometzdike Shabbos. Last year, Pesach was on Wednesday night, IIRC.
Now I realize that the topic of this thread is how to make a Pesachdike Shabbos, so I could see why that was confusing. Smile I wouldn't make gebrokts in pesachdike keilim even before Pesach, unless it was special for that, but I've never asked a Rav that shailoh, so really don't know the answer.

Quote:
Erev Pesach we are not allowed to eat matzah. (That's the reason that when Erev Pesach comes out on Shabbos we daven early and eat chometzdike challah before the zman, there is no choice bec. we can't eat matzah)

However the minhag is that even after Purim, or at least from Rosh Chodesh Nissan on according to some, we refrain from eating (Pesachdike) matzah.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics