Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Cost for movers - Brooklyn

amother

Post Sun, Aug 25 2013, 9:35 pm
How much did a local move in Brooklyn cost you?
What type of movers did you use? (Insured, etc.)
When did you move?
How much furniture did you move?

I'm got an estimate that seems quite high for the local move I'm making. I'm moving a few blocks with very little furniture.

I'd love to get an idea of what it should cost.

Thank you!

amother

Post Sun, Aug 25 2013, 10:08 pm
I needed to have a very large seforim shank moved. I had the store where we bought it take it apart. All the movers had to do was wrap it well and move it to my apartment. I decided to take someone who I thought had a good reputation and spend the few $$ extra so that it should go well. So I hired Fishman movers (my parent have used them in the past) and really regretted it.

The guys that wrapped the furniture were really lazy. They wrapped a few doors together - with the hinges and screws still attached. A few doors got large deep scratches on them. It was very upsetting. When my husband called him to complain, he said that he barely made any money on this move, and there is nothing he can do for us. I guess ours was a small job, compared to moving someone's entire apartment. But this was important to me and I paid whatever price he asked for.

I'm just telling you this, because I don't think you should use him.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 25 2013, 11:42 pm
I used BP movers(Fishman) recently and was very happy with them.
We moved from an elevator apt building to a 1 flight up apt.

Full Dining room set- table, 8 chairs, china closet
Dinette set-table and 4 chairs
Full Bedroom set- 2 beds, dresser, armoire
Stackable washer dryer
1 a/c
1 crib
Seforim Shrank

We were charged 1200 for the whole thing(plus tips)

amother

Post Mon, Aug 26 2013, 12:49 pm
amother wrote:
I used BP movers(Fishman) recently and was very happy with them.
We moved from an elevator apt building to a 1 flight up apt.

Full Dining room set- table, 8 chairs, china closet
Dinette set-table and 4 chairs
Full Bedroom set- 2 beds, dresser, armoire
Stackable washer dryer
1 a/c
1 crib
Seforim Shrank

We were charged 1200 for the whole thing(plus tips)

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Based on your estimate, I think mine was high. We have much less (small) furniture. Also, did you move boxes?

Can anyone else give me a breakdown like this?

amother

Post Mon, Aug 26 2013, 7:10 pm
Above amother

We moved about 50 boxes. The movers were quick, careful and efficient. they came at 8 and were done in the new house by 3- with a 1 hour break.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 26 2013, 11:48 pm
I also used Fishman and was very satisfied. I moved in a couple of months ago from an elevator building to a second floor private house. We started between nine and ten and were done by four. We had:
Dining room: table, 6 chairs, china closet, couch, wall painting
Dinette table and four chairs, highchair
Full bedroom set: beds, armoire, dresser and night table, one wardrobe for clothing,
Crib, 33" high-riser, children's small dresser and small armoire,
Stackable washer dryer, 2 air conditioners, bike, twin carriage, vacuum cleaner, keyboard, baby swing, toolbox
+ plus approximately 75 boxes.

Don't remember price off hand but I think $1200 +tips. We also payed additional $ because or DR furniture needed to be hoisted up thru the front porch.

Good luck!

amother

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 11:31 am
amother wrote:
I also used Fishman and was very satisfied. I moved in a couple of months ago from an elevator building to a second floor private house. We started between nine and ten and were done by four. We had:
Full bedroom set: beds, armoire, dresser and night table, one wardrobe for clothing,
Stackable washer dryer, 2 air conditioners, bike, twin carriage, vacuum cleaner, keyboard, baby swing, toolbox

Don't remember price off hand but I think $1200 +tips. We also payed additional $ because or DR furniture needed to be hoisted up thru the front porch.

Good luck!

I got a quote of $1000 and I have probably less than half the amount of furniture that you have and no appliances. Both apartments are 2nd floor walk ups, but it still is a very small job. I don' have full DR set, bedroom set, or children furniture sets. No big bookcases or anything like that. Mostly small light furniture that fit into our small apartment. Our only heavy/bulky items are beds and couch.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 1:21 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

Good luck!

I got a quote of $1000 and I have probably less than half the amount of furniture that you have and no appliances. Both apartments are 2nd floor walk ups, but it still is a very small job. I don' have full DR set, bedroom set, or children furniture sets. No big bookcases or anything like that. Mostly small light furniture that fit into our small apartment. Our only heavy/bulky items are beds and couch.

I think theres a minimum of $800-$1000 (or something like that) which includes a lot. Also it depends on the type of stairs and how hard it will be to take apart the things.
Otoh, it may be cheaper to hire some guys and rent ure own truck for a couple of hours. My brother once did something like that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating