Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Does a girl need a sister more than a boy needs a bro?
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Thu, Oct 03 2013, 4:38 pm
I have 5 sisters, and I would miss out on a lot if I did not have them. I'm was not the average girl with typical girls interests, and I was not very good at making friends. Luckily I have one sister who is pretty similar to me and we get on well.

My husband also has a close relationship with one of his brothers, although he is close to one of his sisters too.

No one "needs" siblings, nor do we "need" books, or chocolate, or electricity. But no one can deny that your life can be enormously enhanced by having these things.

My father was an only child and certainly felt as if he missed out. He told us many times how lonely he was as a child.

marshmellow

Post Thu, Oct 03 2013, 6:18 pm
It is definitely harder for a girl to be growing up with only brothers than it is for a boy to be growing up with only sisters.

It is just so important for a girl to have a female figure in her life who she can feel close to, and often, a sister fulfils that role. I think it is beautiful to have a close relationship with a sister - it's such a blessing.

Also, I think that if a boy grows up with sisters, that is a very GOOD thing. All the husbands I know who have (especially) older sisters, or even an older sister, are very respectful of their wives.

I think it is a very good influence on a boy when he grows up with sisters (especially when he has a sister/s who is/are older than him). That way he grows up learning to be respectful towards women and girls (I.e. his sisters) and this later translates to his wife. Also, it makes them used to dealing with women and their moods, behaviour etc, and just all round more knowing and tolerant of women.

I think that especially in our religion, which is very male dominant at least on the outside, it certainly is a good and humbling thing for a boy to grow up with a girl as the eldest.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Oct 04 2013, 10:03 am
You do not choose your siblings. Not their gender, not their health, not their personality, not their interests, not their middos.

They can enhance your life, meh, or rot it. I've seen all these situations.

Only child here, I would have wished more children for my parents and for klal Israel, but did not wish for siblings. Maybe 15% of the siblings relationships I witnessed were enticing to me.
I know it's not PC to say on Imamother... but I feel that way, as did my husband.

My dad felt the lack of siblings but he was a young orphan- quite different. My FIL was really happy only.

I do not want a large family to provide siblings, but for children.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics