Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
I hate Gefilte Fish. So this is what I did!

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Sep 04 2013, 9:52 am
Vietnamese Fish Balls

Fish Paste (魚漿)

Preparation time: 20 minutes
Rapid cooking time: 15 minutes
1 lb. white fish (pollock)
1/2 cup arrowroot starch (can be substituted with tapioca starch or cornstarch)
Egg white from 2 eggs
3 ice cubes (about 1-inch square)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
I also threw a heaping tbsp of chili garlic sauce from Lee Kum Kee in, but you don't have to.
it would be nice with scallions and cilantro chopped up and hand mixed in.
or seasoning with ginger, garlic and possibly sesame oil. but those are the next experiments.
Cut up the fish into 1/2-inch cubes. Put all the ingredients except for the ice cubes in a food processor and blend for about two minutes or until smooth. Then add the ice cubes and continue to blend for another three minutes or so. The paste should be very thick with a lot of elasticity. The finished paste should be very smooth with no solid pieces of fish. Scoop the paste into a bowl and refrigerate for about an hour before using.

I boiled this in water as small balls like they have in vietnamese stores but you could probably turn it in to a loaf as well. Its gluten free.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Sep 04 2013, 10:50 am
Sounds yummy, and I have pollack in the freezer!

I love asian and Indian food. I'm making a Thai lamb curry for RH, and I made potatoes vindaloo for the second day. Basmati rice, salad, apple cake, and we're done!

ally

Post Sat, Sep 07 2013, 10:40 am
I add Red Thai curry paste to minced fish (along with ginger/chopped green beans/lime zest if its around - but the main flavour is from the curry paste) and make fried patties.
Served with sweet chilli sauce and wasabi.

Leftovers become fish burgers.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sat, Sep 07 2013, 8:48 pm
I served this in red curry and coconut soup. Total hit!

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Sep 07 2013, 9:18 pm
I make Moroccan fish balls which does not taste gefilte-y at all. I cheated and used the frozen gef fish but you can probably use your own minced fish.

1 pkg NON SUGAR ADDED gefilte fish log (also make sure no sweeteners are added)
1 egg
2 heapful tbsp. matza meal
a pinch of cumin
a pinch of nutmeg

For sauce
4-5 cloves garlic, peeled, sliced
1 onion, finely chopped
1 rib celery, finely chopped
1 tub matbucha (store bought)
1/2 cup tomato passata
1 teasp harissa
1/2 pickled lemon (if not use unwaxed lemon), chopped
a handful of chopped coriander/cilantro leaves

Whizz the fish, egg, matza meal and spices briefly (use short pulse, lest the whole thing turns into paste). Rest for at least 10-15min. In a large pot, sautee garlic, onion and celery in a small amount of oil till soft. Add matbucha, tomato, harissa, lemon and 1 cup water and simmer for 4-5minutes. Keep a bowl with water handy. Roll gef fish mix into balls the size of walnut and drop into tomato sauce. (It's best if you don't crowd the pot too much, otherwise the fish balls break or stick to one another.) Cover and simmer for 15-20min, uncover and continue to cook for another 10min or so, to let the liquid thicken. Add coriander leaves right before turning off flame. You can eat it cold/room temp but I prefer to serve it hot. Great with couscous.

sarahd

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 2:39 am
I have made Moroccan fish balls with no-sugar frozen gefilte fish and it was very good. What would happen if I used regular frozen gefilte fish, with sugar?

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 3:53 pm
I wouldn't personally. The flavor of tomato/coriander/cumin/lemon/chili does not really compliment sweet things. And sweetness would be too overpowering and no way to diminish/counter it. It would also taste rather heavy and processed.

sarahd

Post Tue, Sep 10 2013, 2:17 am
Okay, thanks.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 10 2013, 4:56 am
The beauty of GF is that you can do a lot with it. Onions, carrot, coconut milk- some do chocolate !

ally

Post Sat, Oct 26 2013, 10:20 am
Mrs Bissli wrote:
I make Moroccan fish balls which does not taste gefilte-y at all. I cheated and used the frozen gef fish but you can probably use your own minced fish.

1 pkg NON SUGAR ADDED gefilte fish log (also make sure no sweeteners are added)
1 egg
2 heapful tbsp. matza meal
a pinch of cumin
a pinch of nutmeg

For sauce
4-5 cloves garlic, peeled, sliced
1 onion, finely chopped
1 rib celery, finely chopped
1 tub matbucha (store bought)
1/2 cup tomato passata
1 teasp harissa
1/2 pickled lemon (if not use unwaxed lemon), chopped
a handful of chopped coriander/cilantro leaves

Whizz the fish, egg, matza meal and spices briefly (use short pulse, lest the whole thing turns into paste). Rest for at least 10-15min. In a large pot, sautee garlic, onion and celery in a small amount of oil till soft. Add matbucha, tomato, harissa, lemon and 1 cup water and simmer for 4-5minutes. Keep a bowl with water handy. Roll gef fish mix into balls the size of walnut and drop into tomato sauce. (It's best if you don't crowd the pot too much, otherwise the fish balls break or stick to one another.) Cover and simmer for 15-20min, uncover and continue to cook for another 10min or so, to let the liquid thicken. Add coriander leaves right before turning off flame. You can eat it cold/room temp but I prefer to serve it hot. Great with couscous.

Made this and everyone - including the kids!- loved it.
Thank you;)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen