Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Being poor means wires poking your ribs all day long...
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 11:14 pm
... because you can't afford to replace your old bras and the underwire isn't shaped properly anymore.

Being poor isn't just difficult and horrible and shameful. It physically hurts. In so many ways.

ROFL

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 11:16 pm
So sorry. Yes it does suck. Do you see away out or are you seeing a never ending battle

Tova

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 11:18 pm
amother wrote:
... because you can't afford to replace your old bras and the underwire isn't shaped properly anymore.

Being poor isn't just difficult and horrible and shameful. It physically hurts. In so many ways.

Ouch. I hate underwires. Can you remove the wire part?
On a more global note, I'm so sorry for what you are going through...is there anything we can do?

amother

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 11:26 pm
Tell me about it, especially when your E Lance bras are 100$ a pop and you get severe back pain w/o the support

amother

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 11:36 pm
I'm not the OP, but in desperate financial straits. Kids trying to figure out how to help bring in parnosa, while trying to keep up with school work. It's become so desperate, I'm wondering about setting up a fund, to help me raise three thousand dollars to cover my outstanding grocery and other bills. Bikur Cholims have helped with the remaining balances. Now I'm just short of 3k. Think we can put something together? I'll definitely give back when I'm back on my feet.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 08 2013, 11:52 pm
OMG OP! I just bought myself a new bra after not buying one for years, and I'm on a high! Totally understand you. My underwires were poking me. I sewed them back in a couple of times until it wasn't possible anymore!
Hope you get to havea new one soon...

amother

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 12:58 am
Oh I thought I was the only one with that problem. I also can't afford new underwear either. I wish I could help you but I can't but I could just tell you that you are not alone.
My friend who also has no money thought that we should go collecting for each other in other places that do not know us. We still might do it.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 1:10 am
Hi fellow strugglers!

I know I sound cheery but I feel far from it
I just made a 'new year resolution' to stay positive despite it all.

Not having money is just plain difficult every single step of the way.
It hits you in the face over and over and over and over

Can TOTALLY relate to this bra issue - can't believe I'm not the only one.

amother with $3000 grocery bill - are u me? brave girl you are trying to collect funds. I wince at the thought of having to resort to taking money from others but I know exactly why you are doing it.

Hope Hashem wrote us all in for a prosperous year

merelyme

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 1:18 am
OP and others on this thread, please read the below and pm Yael if you think you could be helped.

And everyone, please do not send money to anonymous posters unless it's been verified by Yael.

ישועת השם כהרף עין - Hashem's salvation is like the blink of an eye.

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....&
Yael wrote:
In response to the slew of messages from amothers in dire circumstances in desperate need of money:

any post by amother asking for money will be locked with a message saying until this person contacts me or another poster who is known in real life, with a real name to verifiy, noone should give money.

we have had both trolls and real people asking for money, and the real people were always verified by me or another poster who then passed the info on to me to double check.

if you see any posts asking for money, or even just pulling at your heartstrings that someone naive may be led to offer money, please report the post.

if its under amother or a real-looking username it doesnt matter. we had a troll once who used a real username to constantly ask for help with various expenses. after trying to verify the poster, I immediately found a string of lies which led me to ban the user.

we have also had needy imamothers, who have benefited greatly from the tzedaka honestly given to them through imamother.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 1:26 am
Anyone read their kesubah lately? Your husbands are supposed to provide you with food and clothing! Why are women talking about going around collecting tzedakah for each other, when their husbands should be doing that?

mirror

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 1:33 am
Many people get married before they finish school. The OP is definitely in school, and it's possible that her husband is, also.

It's not always practical to wait until you get your degree.

curlgirl

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 3:55 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Anyone read their kesubah lately? Your husbands are supposed to provide you with food and clothing! Why are women talking about going around collecting tzedakah for each other, when their husbands should be doing that?

Why are you assuming they all have healthy capable husbands, or husbands at all?

opinionated wrote:
Many people get married before they finish school. The OP is definitely in school, and it's possible that her husband is, also.

Scratching Head

How on earth do you know that?

amother

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 4:01 pm
I'm so sorry for what you all are going through. Stores like Burlington and Marshall's often have bras on clearance, for a couple of dollars each- (think $6-$7).

mandr

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 4:06 pm
On a different note, does anyone need good quality shampoo and conditioner (Herbal Essences, Pantene, etc.) and other assorted beauty aids because I'm looking to get rid of it (we have a surplus and gave everyone we know already). You can pick it up (I'm in Monsey). Would send it to you but it's kinda heavy in a box and would cost a lot to ship. PM me if you're interested.

mandr

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 4:07 pm
OP if you tell me what kind you're wearing, maybe I can find you a good deal on it? I'm pretty coupon-savvy, if I may say so myself Smile

amother

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 5:47 pm
sometimes you can get a good deal online. I personally wear bras that cost maximum 15 dollars. I need soft fabric and comfortable wires. I understand that different women have differnet preferances, but try this hp. I found nice pieces for 10 dollars.

http://www.maidenform.com/bras.....eg%3b

(disclaimer: there are naked women on those pictures)

devo1982

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 5:52 pm
OP, are you handy with a sewing machine? You could sew your own to tide you over until you can get new bras.
http://www.makebra.com/
http://www.instructables.com/id/Bra/
(second link has a woman wearing a bra and no top) - best of all, she says you should use the underwires from your falling apart bras!

Fabulous

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 7:02 pm
Kohl's also often has sales and you can get two for thirty or something. Macy's often has coupons and sales as well. I know it's still a lot but better than $50 plus a piece from the local stores.

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 7:32 pm
If you're a special size like me (I'm a 30F) and are lucky enough to live in NY then I highly recommend checking out the Orchard St. Corset shop on the Lower East side, run by a very nice Chassidishe family.

Barbara

Post Mon, Sep 09 2013, 7:36 pm
mandr wrote:
On a different note, does anyone need good quality shampoo and conditioner (Herbal Essences, Pantene, etc.) and other assorted beauty aids because I'm looking to get rid of it (we have a surplus and gave everyone we know already). You can pick it up (I'm in Monsey). Would send it to you but it's kinda heavy in a box and would cost a lot to ship. PM me if you're interested.

If you have kids in school, see if they collect those things for shelters/people who need help.

I wonder if tomchei Shabbat would be interested, to give to families that could use the help.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics