Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Home business

amother

Post Sun, Sep 15 2013, 11:18 pm
I need to supplement my income a little and am looking for ideas of a business I can have in my basement parttime. I live in Midwood, Brooklyn. What is there a need for? Everything I can think of is already flooded.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Sep 15 2013, 11:33 pm
You can make some money just providing people with storage space down there, perhaps? For THEIR business. Or their documents, in file cabinets.

Perhaps some large, locked, freezers for other people's food?

You would need strong lighting. Maybe a tiny table and chair. Metal shelving or some way of keeping stuff off the floor, in case of water ever being there. And, clients you really trusted.

What have you personally felt it was hard to obtain recently?

Your own annoyances are other people's too. Maybe you can address them.

Have motion-activated lights on the stairs, and non-slip treads on the stairs, and a stair handrail.

You may need a small fan on constantly.

JollyMommy

Post Mon, Sep 16 2013, 12:20 am
do juicing! it's so popular on the west coast. buy a good juicer (not just a blender!) and blend organic veggies with a gorgeous label. sells for $6-$12 a bottle.

TwinsMommy

Post Mon, Sep 16 2013, 12:58 am
if you do that you'll need a hecksher and to be following the very strict food handling laws. Might be a lot of money an hassle upfront--- but neat idea though. I'd buy some. Of course I live in Ohio though.

I vote for direct sales or network marketing since that's my baileywick. It's not for everyone but the money per hour is great.

ewa-jo

Post Mon, Sep 16 2013, 6:13 am
A better idea might be work-from-home jobs like content writing or being a virtual secretary.

Selling things out of the home involves a high up-front cost and if your merchandise does not move, then you are stuck with it. One option, if you have an eye for bargains, is to sell things online... as in, you find something great and then you list it on ebay. I do this, btw, and it is difficult to find things that people will buy (brand name goods, must be new with tags) and cheap enough where I can make a decent profit (remember, if you offer it on ebay, it has to be cheaper than retail)

One idea, if you have a little space, is to have a consignment shop... maternity clothes or kids clothes or simcha dresses. People bring you their clothes and you sell them and split the selling price. That way, you won't have any up-front costs and if the stuff doesn't sell, then you can just give it back to the person who brought it to you.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 16 2013, 1:31 pm
Retail scares me because I'm not guaranteed to recoup my startup costs and I think it might take too long to see a profit.
A work from home job is not an option right now. Unless I can make over 70k a year it won't be worth it for me to quit my job and lose my benefits.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics