Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Anyone in BP buys "Wild Salmon"?

Mevater

Post Tue, Sep 17 2013, 11:32 pm
Anyone in BP buys "Wild Salmon"? Its supposedly much healthier but a lot more expensive. If yes, where do you buy it and what do you pay?

Reality

Post Wed, Sep 18 2013, 12:05 am
For Rosh Hashana I bought from gourmet glatt. It was $23 lb!! They told me if I bought the whole fish it would be cheaper. So I did. It came out to about $120. I came home with 4 packages of salmon.

It was the freshest and most delicious salmon I have ever had. I don't know if I would do it again so fast cuz it was really expensive.

My father told me he picked up a package of frozen wild salmon at shoprite. He bought the last package. It either had an o-u of kuf-k on it. I don't know if they restocked since then.

Mevater

Post Wed, Sep 18 2013, 12:35 am
Reality wrote:
For Rosh Hashana I bought from gourmet glatt. It was $23 lb!! They told me if I bought the whole fish it would be cheaper. So I did. It came out to about $120. I came home with 4 packages of salmon.

It was the freshest and most delicious salmon I have ever had. I don't know if I would do it again so fast cuz it was really expensive.

My father told me he picked up a package of frozen wild salmon at shoprite. He bought the last package. It either had an o-u of kuf-k on it. I don't know if they restocked since then.
Thanks! Someone told me its much healthier and better tasting. How did you cook it?

Reality

Post Wed, Sep 18 2013, 12:49 am
It is much healthier. After reading about how unhealthy the farmed salmon is I told myself I am only buying wild from now on.

I usually sauté onions, celery and carrots. Sometimes I add mushrooms also. If you are using aluminum pans than you should line the pan with parchment paper. I pour lemon juice over the fish. I lightly sprinkle salt and pepper. Than I cover the fish with the sauted veggies. I cover the pans. I bake in the oven at 375 for about half an hour.

It tastes amazing. It tastes good either hot or cold. I hope you enjoy!

bamamama

Post Wed, Sep 18 2013, 1:03 am
Not from BP, but I live in the Pacific Northwest and people around here will only eat Wild Pacific Salmon (I don't even know if there's such a thing as Wild Atlantic Salmon sold anymore). Farmed fish is disgusting.

Dalia

Post Wed, Sep 18 2013, 1:49 am
A while back I heard there were kashrus problems with the wild salmon. I believe there were worms in them. It may be a good idea to ask your local rabbi...

red sea

Post Wed, Sep 18 2013, 12:36 pm
Real wild salmon like bamamama eats is minimum 25$ lb but usually over 30$ lb here in nyc.

The stuff you buy for 19.99 - 24.99 a lb is usually the top quality farmed salmon which is healthier and better tasting than the regular farmed.

A certain store used to bring it in before Y"T and now they won't because of "kashrus" with worms.

However there was NO SUCH THING AS FARMED SALMON before the mid 1980's. It wasn't mainstream in the fish store until much later than that.

Before all this wild salmon was kosher, so I guess it still is.

Reality

Post Sat, Sep 21 2013, 10:13 pm
I have never heard of "better quality" farmed salmon. Where did you get your info from?

bamamama

Post Sat, Sep 21 2013, 11:03 pm
rfried wrote:
A while back I heard there were kashrus problems with the wild salmon. I believe there were worms in them. It may be a good idea to ask your local rabbi...
And give up my salmon? No way!

I know the fish farms around here get pegged with contributing to outbreaks of disease and parasites which eventually find their way to the wild populations as well.

And,pssst, there are small bugs in almost everything you eat.

Reality

Post Sat, Sep 21 2013, 11:38 pm
bamamama wrote:
rfried wrote:
And give up my salmon? No way!

I know the fish farms around here get pegged with contributing to outbreaks of disease and parasites which eventually find their way to the wild populations as well.

And,pssst, there are small bugs in almost everything you eat.

This is my pet peeve! Every healthy food is infested with bugs but every piece of red #40 garbage is kosher l'mehadrin!!! grrr!!

Miri1

Post Sat, Sep 21 2013, 11:50 pm
I want to know what happened to the OU kosher wild salmon in the Costco freezer section. I haven't seen it in months...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries