Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Cleaning the computer for Pesach
1  2  3  Next

Do you change telephones or computer keyboards for Pesach?
I change my kitchen phone, and clean the others  
 6%  [ 2 ]
I change all my phones  
 3%  [ 1 ]
I clean all of them.  
 86%  [ 26 ]
I change my keyboard and phone  
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 30

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Mar 12 2007, 11:46 pm
Last year, the computer keyboard was full of crumbs. I turned it over, banged it gently on the desk, and more and more crumbs kept coming out. embarrassed (I'm not the only one who uses it, so that's my alibi Rolling Eyes ). How do you get the keyboard "kosher" for Pesach? What can be used to wash/wipe it without ruining it?

Is there a way to cover it, that it still works?

I guess the same question applies to telephones.

roza

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 12:13 am
I shake my keyboard upside down and then spray it with some cleaning solution that has ammonia in it to render all the remaining 'chometz' inedible. It worked for my dell keyboard, I don't guarantee yours will be the same after the treatment. Twisted Evil

roza

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 12:15 am
...and while we are at it, here are the guidelines for cleaning comp. equipment for pesach:

Quote:
Office Pesach cleaning guidelines

Keyboard

If you never eat at the computer, no Pesach cleaning is necessary.

If you sometimes eat chametz while working at the computer, the keyboard must be thoroughly cleaned of crumbs. There are two main approaches among the halachic authorities. The lenient position deems it sufficient to turn the keyboard upside-down and shake it vigorously until no more crumbs fall out. A minority of posekim, however, require the keycaps to be removed (this can usually be accomplished easily with a bit of leverage from a screwdriver) and the interior of the keyboard to be vacuumed clean of crumbs. Please consult your rabbi for advice.

Either way, if you plan to use the computer over Chol Hamoed, the keyboard should be covered. Some computer shops and kosher supermarkets will carry clear plastic keyboard covers which suit this purpose. Look for those marked Kosher for Passover.

If you consume hot liquid chametz at the computer, such as instant noodles or some types of coffee and hot chocolate, the keyboard must be kashered using hag'ala. Plunge the keyboard in a large pot of boiling hot water for approximately 15 seconds, or until sparks fly. The entire keyboard must be kashered, including the cable. We take no responsibility for the continued functioning of the keyboard after this procedure. If this is not possible, buy a new keyboard for Pesach.

Mouse

Though it is smaller and less complex than the keyboard, the mouse is more problematic to clean for Pesach, as the mouse has a tendency to "drag-and-drop" chametz from place to place. Either buy a new mouse for Pesach, or learn the keyboard shortcuts.

Monitor

A flat-screen monitor (LCD display) does not get hot and thus need not be kashered for Pesach. It is sufficient to clean it with a moist cloth.

A conventional CRT display, however, can get quite hot. If you use your monitor to heat up chametz, you must kasher it using libun gamur. Generally, this means heating it up until the surface glows. This can be done by applying a blowtorch for several seconds to each area of the surface. Make sure to unplug the monitor before trying this.

It is recommended to test the procedure on a small, concealed part of the monitor before applying it. If your monitor does not hold up well to a blowtorch, consider buying a new monitor for Pesach. (You owe it to yourself, anyway.) If this is not an option, you can cover the monitor with shelf paper or aluminum foil. Otherwise, avoid placing food directly on the uncovered monitor during Pesach.

Hard drive

If your hard drive has chametz in it, you have problems that Pesach cleaning cannot solve. It couldn't hurt to defragment, though.

su7kids

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 12:30 am
roza wrote:

Hard drive

If your hard drive has chametz in it, you have problems that Pesach cleaning cannot solve. It couldn't hurt to defragment, though.
[/quote]

And what if I have chometzdike recipes in my hard drive??????

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 12:37 am
That's hysterical! roza, we have have a standing joke in this house, if anything doesn't work it's because I "kashered" it for Pesach. It stems from the first phone that I ruined when we were newlywed by immersing the receiver in soapy water. LOL

Last edited by TzenaRena on Tue, Mar 13 2007, 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total

roza

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 12:38 am
su7kids wrote:

And what if I have chometzdike recipes in my hard drive??????

good question... Scratching Head may be get a kosher for pesach hard drive

Marion

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 2:28 am
You forgot an option...you're kidding, right?

I don't shake my keyboard (laptop) out...I can't get between the keys, so neither can a dog. Therefore, it's not "raui l'achilat kelev" (ראוי לאכילת כלב) and therefore not a problem. If I could shake it out, I would, but I'd leave it at that.

It's a great "quote" you've got there about cleaning, but I've honestly NEVER met anyone who does more than shake it out, although I know several people who use it with a plastic cover all year.

Mitzvahmom

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 9:07 am
LOL this is too funny Smile

Well I need my laptop to take an exam and write a paper that is due...blah

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 9:26 am
I was actually considering licking my computer ... should I do it now or on pesach ...

realeez

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 9:27 am
This is what I do...

yeah right Very Happy but it's a funny picture!

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 9:31 am
mommyabc123 - so I see you are ready for pesach

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 9:44 am
how about an option of non of the above? we have a laptop and ther is no food near the keyboard, but we shake it out, maybe, sometimes. the phone? how in the world does food get in/on the phone?

bashinda

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 12:34 pm
I cover the keyboard with plastic wrap. I also clean it out first with compressed air. this computer is only from june and already the keyboard has gunk and I have no idea how to get it out either. embarrassed it's a mac keyboard (newer imac)

chanab

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 12:40 pm
I have a separate keyboard for pesach---I lock the other one away for pesach.

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 12:46 pm
chanab, last year I had a new keyboard, but it stayed in use, and I don't want yet another keyboard hanging around. Confused bashinda, what's this compressed air thing?

Ima'la

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 1:38 pm
Marion wrote:
I don't shake my keyboard (laptop) out...I can't get between the keys, so neither can a dog. Therefore, it's not "raui l'achilat kelev" (ראוי לאכילת כלב) and therefore not a problem. If I could shake it out, I would, but I'd leave it at that.

I don't know who's joking and who's not anymore, but I don't think the halachic term "raui l'achilat kelev" (ראוי לאכילת כלב) applies to something just because a dog can't get to it. I think it has to be inherently unfit for a dog's consumption.

mommyabc123 - great pic!

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 1:46 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
how about an option of non of the above? we have a laptop and ther is no food near the keyboard, but we shake it out, maybe, sometimes. the phone? how in the world does food get in/on the phone?
shabbat, does your phone never ring while you're baking or cooking? or eating? Surprised

Marion

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 1:53 pm
TzenaRena wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
shabbat, does your phone never ring while you're baking or cooking? or eating? Surprised

Um, if I'm eating, I don't answer the phone. If I'm cooking or baking, I wipe my hands first. And my phone doesn't come into my kitchen. The other phone is next to the computer, in a no-food zone (we don't take food off the first floor).

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 2:04 pm
Well, I guess I'm one of those wierd people that answer right away,and don't like answering machines and nope, sometimes can't stop what I'm doing long enough to wash hands first. (Usually it's Erev Shabbos, and I'm cleaning a chicken, or have my hands deep in the challah dough). Of course I wipe my hands - if I'm lucky and it's not dear family members ringing it off the hook, you can hear their desperation through the rings Rolling Eyes - but that's not good enough for Pesach'dik clean. Smile

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 3:59 pm
TzenaRena wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:

I have to agree with marion. while we are eating I rarely talk on the phone and while cooking I really dont, but IF I do, I wipe my hands off and even so, so I would wipe my phone witha baby wipe if I wanted to clean it, thats all. how in the world can crumbs get into anywhere on a phone?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics