Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
"trinket" ideas for boys

harriet

Post Tue, Sep 24 2013, 3:55 pm
I have a few children, boys and girls, between the ages of 6 and 13.

I often find (and buy) little gifts for my daughters-some times "because I love you" (no specific reason), sometimes "because you were so helpful/thoughtful/amazing recently. . . ", some times "because I know you're nervous about today and hope it goes well. . . "

They are typically under $10 and are hair accessories or jewelry (obviously fake). . .

I'd love to do this for my boys too but don't have any ideas of what to buy them!

I'd love to hear any ideas from everyone (not food though)

TIA

chocolate fondue

Post Tue, Sep 24 2013, 4:30 pm
Keyrings?

ROFL

Post Tue, Sep 24 2013, 4:33 pm
Small Lego sets, hot wheel cars, GI joe figurines ( do they still make them) model cars or airplanes

myself

Post Tue, Sep 24 2013, 4:40 pm
Small torch or blue/green light (not a laser pointer but similar looking), keyrings, rubiks cube, moody face stress ball, bouncing balls, calculator, business card holder (some boys like to collect business cards), sudoku puzzle book, cheap binoculars, card game, nice pen. I can probably think of more but that should give you an idea.

granolamom

Post Tue, Sep 24 2013, 5:51 pm
to add to myself's list: magnifying glass, clamp pulley, magnets, rubberband ball, slinky, madlibs for the older ones, booklight, small safe, flashlight

greenfire

Post Tue, Sep 24 2013, 8:28 pm
depending on age - pocket knife

those little boxes of legos are great fun

magic tricks

mind teaser puzzles

book with experiments

joke book

granolamom

Post Tue, Sep 24 2013, 10:08 pm
my boys are aching for pocket knives. I'm not sure I will ever be ready to buy them knives, what age do you think is appropriate for that?

magic tricks is a great idea. gonna file that one.

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Sep 24 2013, 11:22 pm
granolamom wrote:
my boys are aching for pocket knives. I'm not sure I will ever be ready to buy them knives, what age do you think is appropriate for that?

never

greenfire

Post Tue, Sep 24 2013, 11:26 pm
granolamom wrote:

depends on the maturity of the kid ... but 10 to 12 to be used in a controlled environment ... iow can't be brought to school [it may even be illegal] ... but can be brought camping or to the bungalow colony ... or to help build the succah

ROFL

Post Wed, Sep 25 2013, 12:02 am
Instead of a pocket knife. How about a tool set with screw drivers wrench pliers etc. those al could be used for building things or fixing things.

greenfire

Post Wed, Sep 25 2013, 12:12 am
http://www.swissknifeshop.com/.....xcAyA

granolamom

Post Wed, Sep 25 2013, 9:35 am
ROFL wrote:
Instead of a pocket knife. How about a tool set with screw drivers wrench pliers etc. those al could be used for building things or fixing things.

careful with that too, one of my boys took off all the doorknobs in his room when we got him a screwdriver.

animeme

Post Wed, Sep 25 2013, 11:40 am
Little hackey-sack type or squeezy balls, mad libs, goo (if you can deal with it). My son loves a set of skinny markers and a pad of graph paper.

granolamom

Post Wed, Sep 25 2013, 12:53 pm
I forgot about skinny markers, animeme, my boys love those too. Also those geometric coloring books

cookiecutter

Post Wed, Sep 25 2013, 1:26 pm
granolamom wrote:
ROFL wrote:

careful with that too, one of my boys took off all the doorknobs in his room when we got him a screwdriver.
Double the trinkets!

wwmom

Post Wed, Sep 25 2013, 1:31 pm
My boys love packs of any type of cards...gedolim cards, baseball, pokemon...usually its a dollar a pack.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children