Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How to deal with a middle child

amother

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 11:11 am
My almost 9 year old is a middle child. I don't think or feel I treat him any differently then my other children, but I see he feels different from the way he acts. I think it's because he can't figure where he stands. Is he part of the older ones or younger ones? How can I help him find his place?

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 11:21 am
Favor him slightly occasionally. Ask him to help you with something important, just him. Take him for a walk. Have your husband do that too.

Then, let it alone; some people are just loners by nature, that's fine.

You haven't said if he is complaining.

I knew one family where the third child of their six was the most original. The oldest was First Boy, the second was First Girl, and then there was him. He was the genius. No labels to fulfill. No conforming to other people's expectations. Freeeee.

greenfire

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 11:41 am
I think it's a great idea to treat each child to their own 'special' time on occasion ... this way nobody ever feels confused as to their status in the family

granolamom

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 1:30 pm
treat him like you treat the other kids, as an individual with unique personality and needs.

if you have more than two kids, somebody will be 'middle' and that's ok. there's pro's and con's to everything. I can think of plenty of benefits that come along with being the middle child.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics