Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Gown and tznius--what to do?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 8:32 am
This is an image of the neckline of the gown my almost 75 year-old mother wants to wear to my niece's chasuna which is in about 3.5 weeks. It ever-so-slightly is below her collar bone, but I REALLY think it isn't noticeable, and other family members want her to get a shell to go underneath or get it "fixed up" to tighten the neckline. I think that it's not worth the expense of getting it tailored, and finding the right color shell would be a hassle.

This will be a very frum/yeshivishe wedding (not chassidishe).
How much effort should go into this?

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 8:40 am
I can't see the picture, but my personal opinion is that you should let your mother wear what she wants and everyone should leave her alone.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 8:45 am

amother

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 8:47 am

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

amother

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 8:49 am
Sorry I don't know how to make it smaller.

pesek zman

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 8:57 am
I think it looks like a beautful gown and your Mom should absolutely wear it! Mazel Tov!

Happy18

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 9:45 am
I feel like anyone who is noticing that its bellow her collarbone is probably looking for it. I wouldnt pay to have it tailored no idea what you would even add. I think the most important thing is if your mother is comfortable. If she is I'd leave it up to her.

Barbara

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 9:53 am
(1) Mazel tov to your niece.

(2) It looks like a lovely dress. And how special that your mother will get to watch her granddaughter be married and, hopefully, dance at her wedding.

(3) Me, I think the neckline is high enough, and no one should interfere. BUT -- big BUT here -- if it makes your NIECE uncomfortable, and will take away so much as an iota of happiness from her or her husband to be on their wedding day, then I think that your MOTHER should decide to alter the dress. I wonder if a dressmaker could take up the shoulder seam just a smidge to bring up the neckline, since its so close. Again, though, only if your niece is bothered, no one else, and its still your mother's call.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 10:08 am
The niece making an issue about the dress is not the kallah

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 10:14 am
I think your mom should do what she's comfortable with.

Barbara

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 10:15 am
amother wrote:
The niece making an issue about the dress is not the kallah

Then its none of her business. IMNSHO.

gila-rina

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 10:21 am
would a wide necklace solve the issue?

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 10:26 am
Here is a high quality 100% silk scarf that may help, for seven dollars. This is a website that gets silks directly from the orient, and has nice things at good prices.

http://www.thaisilks.com/produ.....d=432

The scarf can be draped on the outside of the gown, or inside the neckline. Perhaps anchored with a pin, or anchored under the bra.

The color can be the same shade of blue, or another color that you think contrasts nicely and is not the same as the dress. At that price, you could get a few of them, and see what you think.

Also, here is a long sleeved shell for ten dollars, from another source. It is cotton. I use these myself. They fit close and are nice. Many colors. Here is "royal blue":

http://www.dharmatrading.com/c......html

(Just in case you want a shell.)

Last edited by Dolly Welsh on Mon, Sep 30 2013, 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total

gila-rina

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 10:29 am

DrMom

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 10:41 am
Your mother is 75. Let her wear what she wants. It's not like she's showing up in leather hot pants and a cone bra. Most people have the common sense to not hassle septegenarians about tznius chumrot.

If *she* wants to add something, Dolly's interior-pinned silk scarf is a good idea because it is not a permanent change to her dress.

greenfire

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 10:54 am
do women rebel at 75 ~ leave the woman alone

unless she looks like this in it

warning too much boobage
Hidden: 

Shana_H

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 11:19 am
amother wrote:
This is an image of the neckline of the gown my almost 75 year-old mother wants to wear to my niece's chasuna which is in about 3.5 weeks. It ever-so-slightly is below her collar bone, but I REALLY think it isn't noticeable, and other family members want her to get a shell to go underneath or get it "fixed up" to tighten the neckline. I think that it's not worth the expense of getting it tailored, and finding the right color shell would be a hassle.

This will be a very frum/yeshivishe wedding (not chassidishe).
How much effort should go into this?

Who are the "other family members" that you speak of, if its the Kallah herself then perhaps its worth thinking about, I said "thinking about" otherwise I say piss-off! (parden my English) Its a lovely looking gown, Mazal Tov!

Shana_H

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 11:22 am
greenfire wrote:
do women rebel at 75 ~ leave the woman alone

unless she looks like this in it

warning too much boobage
Hidden: 

Ooooops you've done it again, you are toooo much! :-)

gila-rina

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 11:31 am
double post

Shana_H

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 11:34 am
gila-rina wrote:

This is actually a brilliant idea, I'm thinking Egyptian style!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics