Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Attn wives of medical interns/residents-what do YOU do?

amother

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 1:55 pm
my dh just started a residency and I work in my parents business.
everyone told me that the first year is crazy, but wow, I dindt realize this crazy!!
we never see each other, were both hardly home, my kids, nebach are so cranky when they see either of us.
im not sure how all of you manage?!

amother

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 2:23 pm
First of all, I promise it gets better--unless he's in surgery. The call schedule gets better and he gets used to the rhythm of his days . We made it work because my dh spent almost every minute on weekends with dd. We traded off mornings ( I got up early one day and he got up the other). The house wasnt so neat on weekends, but we ( or dh and dd) went to the zoo, the playground--wherever, or just played at home.We worked out dh spending 20 minutes in the AM before he left for the hospital -- doesn't sound like a lot but it made a big difference. DH stopped on the way home if we needed something urgently (toilet paper, diapers, rotisserie chicken) and I learned to love grocery shipping as my quiet time. Dh played with dd while I went out on Sunday to shop. I had to learn to ignore big messes when I came home ( not a male thing necessarily; dh doesn't care if house is neat). Oh--and we told his parents that we needed time to adjust abs cut down our visits to them since they took all day and were stressful ( plus dh would fall asleep, leaving me to talk and watch kids). Try sentences that start, "I need you to xxxxx" instead of "You need to xxxxx"
If he's a surgeon--well, the call schedule still lets up some.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics