Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
School bus routes issue

amother

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 8:43 am
my son is the first one on the bus in the morning
and the last one off the bus in the evening
he is on the bus for a long time
doesn't it usually go if you are the first one on the bus in the morning
you are usually the first one off in the afternoon?

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 8:49 am
No, they just reverse the route in the afternoon. It might not seem fair but it the most economical.

greenfire

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 8:56 am
we've had that issue ... my kid became friends with the bus driver & he always picked him up & dropped him off in front of the house [instead of the opposite corner - down the block]

amother

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 8:56 am
My boys sit on the bus in the morning for a long time. They get picked up 55 minutes before yeshiva starts.

They used to be the first stop, but since a community near us became populated with frum yidden, my boys are not the first stop but get picked up just as early as before.

On the way home it is the same thing. My DS bus pass had 1 hr 10 min commute home. I went down to the district and they changed the route so DS comes home earlier. The bus company refused to accommodate the change. I was very polite to everyone I spoke to . Someone in the district told me to write a letter requesting a split of the bus route. BH this week my DSs are on a new bus route and commute home a little over 30 min.

I wish I can change the morning route as well, but I cant have everything I guess.
I tried driving my boys, but I realized its not the best solution for me.

My DSs cant be dropped off first, or picked up last since we live so far from the yeshiva.

IMHopinion

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 8:59 am
If they get picked up first in the morning, they should be dropped home first in the afternoons too. Did you speak to the school?

amother

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 9:10 am
IMHopinion wrote:
If they get picked up first in the morning, they should be dropped home first in the afternoons too. Did you speak to the school?

I'm the amother whose DS is now on a different bus for the way home.

Where I live the school has nothing to do with the bus route, its the district and bus company that are in control. All you can do is ask nicely, beg, write letters and pray a lot.

granolamom

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 9:13 am
my boys were always last in the morning, first in the afternoon. they were lucky but lots of ppl complained and nothing changed.

now my dd is first on in the AM and last off in the PM and I know there is no point in complaining. this is the way the district has been doing things for years, they arent going to change now because I dont like it.

sorry, I do feel your pain.

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 9:21 am
We have the same issue.

DD is the first one picked up in the morning and the last one dropped off in the afternoon. It's not too terrible - the bus ride is only 30-40 minutes, but that is a long time for a 5 year old. I haven't fought against it because it actually works out better for my own schedule. Our bus route is also complicated by the "facts on the ground" in that it covers two neighborhoods - ours and the one that the school is actually in. So it really doesn't make sense to do the route any other way.

I just feel bad for DD. The bus driver does not allow eating on the bus, so I can't send her breakfast or snacks. I encourage her to make new friends with girls who aren't in her class, and I let her keep some things in her backpack to keep her from getting bored (coloring stuff and stickers).

chocolate chips

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 4:52 pm
There are some schools that have pathetic bus routes.
Ds b"h is not terrible he is kind of bang in the middle both ways.

Perhaps call the school office and complain. Its not normal that these little kids are on the bus so long both times.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 5:56 pm
Is this a private bus route or a board of ed bus?

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 7:54 pm
I know it's annoying, but if you live far from the school and other kids live close, it's not fair to make the other kids come all the way to your house before being dropped off. The farthest kids are usually the first to be picked up and last to be dropped off for that reason.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics