Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Oh my gd are you sick? You look so thin.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 1:08 pm
Recently a friend of mine saw me and said oh my gd are you sick? You look so thin. Are you eating? What a complement for loosing a lot of weight. I did not know how to respond. How would you respond?

amother

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 1:19 pm
wow I wish someone would tell that to me LOL it think she's jealous of you!

black sheep

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 1:31 pm
unless it is true concern (like if you are suddenly 95 pounds when three months ago you were 150,) then she is probably just jealous. tell her, maybe I should have put on blush today, do I really look that bad?

greenfire

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 1:40 pm
sometimes you're too fat - other times too thin [I've never had that problem but] ... you can't please everyone ...

maybe it was a surprise to her that you lost weight - or maybe you actually got carried away & look too thin - or maybe that is her way of complimenting your weight loss ...

just make sure you're healthy for yourself

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 1:53 pm
speaking as someone who lost a lot of weight (60 lbs) on a medical diet (weight loss was NOT the goal), I wish more people asked that. people kept complimenting me on my weight loss, and I was terrified. I was so worried I'd lose more than was healthy. my doctor told me not to lose any more, and I had to force myself to eat a ton in order to stop losing. the one person who asked if I had been ill was my friend's grandma, who is very sweet and observant. I felt terrible when someone would tell me they were jealous. I even explained that it was due to medical problems, and they poo-pooed it. so many people asked me to recommend my diet, told me I must love having to buy new clothes so often, told me I was a stick (shudder)...

op, be glad your friend cares about you. the correct response is, "no, thank g-d I'm perfectly healthy. I've been dieting, and it's been working!"

trust me, those who are jealous do not usually tell you that you look sick.

imasinger

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 2:35 pm
"Why, thank you! I've been working hard at losing weight."

If she is crass enough to say, "Well, I think you're overdoing it," you could say, "Thanks for your concern; my doctor is very pleased with me."

Takes all types. Stay polite and appropriate, and you'll set the example.

Mazel tov on your weight loss.

mfb

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 4:05 pm
she might actually be a concerned friend (I have seen pple lose to much weight initially and they really look sick) the person might just be so glad to be thin and not realize that they are losing to much
I don't know if that's where you are up to but you would have to be honest with yourself for that

eta if that's not the case than please just ignore her!

ElTam

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 8:47 pm
There are friends who would say this as a concern and friends who would say it out of jealousy. In your gut, you probably know which type this friend is. If it's the former, you say, "thanks for your concern, etc." as another poster suggested, if it's the second, I like, "Is that supposed to be a compliment?"
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise