Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
I am feeling guilty

amother

Post Thu, Oct 03 2013, 12:27 am
Is this ok? On my resume Under experience I include the work experience I had while I was in school(not paid part of the school program is getting sent to different places) I also included volunteer experience. Nothing is exaggerated- I list exactly what I did in each place nothing more, nothing less.. you can also clearly see that I was in school while I was at these places because the years are listed of when I was in school... Do you think lumping it under the category of experience is wrong? Should there be 2 categories? One listing student experience, one professional? my husband sees nothing wrong but I would like to get the opinions of others.

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, Oct 03 2013, 12:37 am
Nothing wrong with what you did. Volunteer experience is still experience. Just don't exaggerate or make up any experience, because a potential employer might find that out when speaking to references.

seeker

Post Thu, Oct 03 2013, 1:22 am
It's conventional to list professional and volunteer experiences as separate categories and I would recommend noting that for next time, but for now you did not do anything dishonest or intentionally misleading. If you don't make separate categories, you could indicate it in your description, e.g. "2008: Volunteered as counselor for troubled teens."

The dates don't reveal anything because plenty of people have real jobs while in school.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 03 2013, 2:54 am
Do you think I should tell the company I will be interviewing for about my mistake? I do not want to be misleading

SingALong

Post Thu, Oct 03 2013, 5:30 am
On my résumé I listed volunteer and work experiences in one list, and all my internships on another list. Like u my internships were unpaid and the school sent me as part of the program. If you already sent it in, u can just explain by the interview that u listed your internship experiences with your other experiences.

seeker

Post Thu, Oct 03 2013, 10:17 pm
I wouldn't bring it up but if you are talking about that experience you could mention it in passing: "Oh yes, volunteering for the Rothberg Foundation gave me a very solid background in licking envelopes."
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics