Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
What is your menu?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

shayna82

Post Thu, Mar 15 2007, 8:51 pm
yum now I have to go switching some of my planned stuff.. mashed potatoes and fried onions sounds good I never had it.. can anyone expand on how you make it...

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 15 2007, 8:58 pm
It's quite simple - in one pot you boil potatoes w/salt - in fry pan with olive oil sautee like 6 onions and a head of garlic ... mash potatoes and stir in onion/garlic mixture ... add black pepper or more salt if needed or desired - then you eat it - enjoy!!!

cindy324

Post Thu, Mar 15 2007, 9:17 pm
lisaj, here it is, courtesy of mom222, she posted it another thread:

3 Layer Vegetable Kugel

7 peeled and cooked potatoes
1 onion (diced and sautéed)
Salt and pepper (to taste)
1 egg (optional)

5 large sweet potatoes (cooked)

5 large squash (cooked)
½ onion (diced and sautéed)
2 eggs

In three separate bowls combine each layer. Place layers in pan. Bake for 1 hour, or until golden.

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Mar 15 2007, 9:18 pm
Hannah! wrote:
What is the problem with broccoli, spinach and green beans on Pesah?
you can't peel them. our minhag is to eat only veggies that can be peeled. green beans are beans, which are kitniyos.

cindy324

Post Thu, Mar 15 2007, 9:21 pm
shayna, I fry onions in a lot of oil, with some paprika added,then when the onions are nice and golden, I pour the whole thing on the mashed up potatoes, season with lots of salt and pepper. Dietetic it's not... LOL

shayna82

Post Thu, Mar 15 2007, 9:30 pm
so will it still be tasty if I dont use paprika or garlic?? just salt and pepper?

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 15 2007, 9:42 pm
I think you need the garlic ... but if you're not gonna use any ... still sautee' a lot of onions ...

BrachaC

Post Thu, Mar 15 2007, 9:54 pm
Potato ideas:
if you don't have to peel:
baby red potatos- slice a grid like design on one side, drizzle with oil, salt and pepper, bake on high for around 45 minutes
Susie Fishbein- pink cookbook- hassleback potatos, once you get the hang of slicing the garlic and potatos it doesn't take so long, and people eat one potato as opposed to the many potatos in a kugel, or many many to make mashed potatos

If you do peel:
hash browns, two-tone mashed potato roll- purple Spice and Spirit, lots of mashed potatos and kugel!

Egg roll or vegetable blintzes make a nice appetizer
shepherds pie is a great chol hamoed meal that can be put in the oven on low for a long time to come home to a hot meal.

meat balls over spaghetti squash is usually a winner either as an appetizer or with the main

for the past couple of years I've made shnitzel with the non-gebrochts crumbs that was delicious.

Good luck!! I find that the shopping is the absolutely hardest part, then the cleaning, and finally the cooking is a nice change!! Can be done at any hour, husband can keep cleaning, and it's just me and some music or a good shiur in the kitchen.

sarahd

Post Fri, Mar 16 2007, 3:08 am
downsyndrome wrote:
Sarahd, what in the world is yapchik, re: cholent????

My mother's best friend's Pesach cholent recipe: Take 3-4 knee bones, put them into the crock pot, grate 9-10 large Idaho potatoes with an onion, mix with salt and pepper and pour over the bones, add some water and cover the mixture with a piece of foil and then the crock pot cover. It makes the loveliest, creamiest mass you can imagine! Serves 4-6 (because unfortunately a lot gets stuck to the sides of the crock pot.)

sarahd

Post Fri, Mar 16 2007, 3:10 am
cindy324 wrote:
shayna, I fry onions in a lot of oil, with some paprika added,then when the onions are nice and golden, I pour the whole thing on the mashed up potatoes, season with lots of salt and pepper. Dietetic it's not... LOL

That's our recipe too, except no paprika on Pesach and the onions are fried in schmaltz.

sarahd

Post Fri, Mar 16 2007, 3:12 am
Beet salad: Cook beets whole, peel and shred. Add salt, pepper, crushed walnuts and mayo or oil. You can add crushed garlic, if you use it on Pesach.

Waldorf beets: Slice cooked beets and rewarm in the following sauce: potato starch, water, sugar, lemon juice.

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Mar 16 2007, 8:26 am
cindy324 wrote:

3 Layer Vegetable Kugel

1 egg (optional)

5 large squash (cooked)
2 eggs

In three separate bowls combine each layer. Place layers in pan. Bake for 1 hour, or until golden.

I make practically the same thing, but a word of advice, don't cook all three layers at once. You'll want to cook the first layer until it sets (I'd recomment putting the zuchinni layer in b/c it'll need more time), then place the second layer in the pan for 20 minutes or so, then put the 3rd layer in and finish baking.

If you put all three layers in at once, they don't cook so well, and the layers don't stay so separate.

shayna82

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 1:55 pm
greenfire wrote:
It's quite simple - in one pot you boil potatoes w/salt - in fry pan with olive oil sautee like 6 onions and a head of garlic ... mash potatoes and stir in onion/garlic mixture ... add black pepper or more salt if needed or desired - then you eat it - enjoy!!!

u sure its 6 onions? to how many potaoes?

shayna82

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 2:00 pm
greenfire wrote:
I think you need the garlic ... but if you're not gonna use any ... still sautee' a lot of onions ...

is this served warm only? is it gross if its cold?

MovinMom

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 2:08 pm
How do you people make apple kugel on Pesach???????

sc

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 2:24 pm
mashed potatoes and onions is fine and very tasty with just salt (the more oil/shmaltz you sautee the onions with the better it tastes
and it doesnt taste to good cold

shayna82

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 2:35 pm
so if I put it in a foil pan to warm it up, nothing will burn?

MOM222

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 2:54 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
cindy324 wrote:

3 Layer Vegetable Kugel

1 egg (optional)

5 large squash (cooked)
2 eggs

I make practically the same thing, but a word of advice, don't cook all three layers at once. You'll want to cook the first layer until it sets (I'd recomment putting the zuchinni layer in b/c it'll need more time), then place the second layer in the pan for 20 minutes or so, then put the 3rd layer in and finish baking.

If you put all three layers in at once, they don't cook so well, and the layers don't stay so separate.

Thank defy I'll try it your way

bashinda

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 4:38 pm
okay so when people are posting their menus is that for one meal or just all the possible dishes they're planning on preparing for Pesach? I've been assuming the later. I'm still having trouble figuring out what to do for meat at the seder. Any ideas?

cl

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 6:47 pm
what is non-gebrokts crumbs?

desserts: you can make home-made ice-cream or meringues if u r cooking from scratch or u cud just buy it ready-made.

please post an apple kugel recipe someone...
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics