Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How do you say this to a jewish OB/GYN??
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Oct 08 2013, 5:50 pm
I will be seeing a jewish obstetrician for my pregnancy. I am using him for the first time and want to inform him that I could have preterm labor which is caused by having s*x. Maybe I am funny for having a problem with saying it out right (after all he is a OB!) but what is the appropriate way of saying it to him? Do I say outright s*x? TIA

amother

Post Tue, Oct 08 2013, 5:58 pm
he is your dr. it makes no difference that he is jewish. say it the exact same way you would would to a non jewish dr.

justforfun87

Post Tue, Oct 08 2013, 5:58 pm
You do realize he will be between your legs eventually and all sense of modesty will go out the window. That being said you can word it like " I have a history of preterm labor due to physical activity." He will probably ask you if you mean relations and then you can nod yes. He will also probably tell you to avoid the deed at some point.

mdpa

Post Tue, Oct 08 2013, 7:17 pm
Actually I wouldn't be vague and say "physical activity." There is a difference between any exertional physical activity and intercourse. You don't want to make a statement that needs clarification- what if he just takes you at your word and assumes physical activity. You can say say s*x, intercourse, or when I am intimate with my husband. As long as it is what you mean. Don't be vague or misleading with your doctor

LiLIsraeli

Post Tue, Oct 08 2013, 8:14 pm
All doctors I have used, whether Jewish or not, have used the term "relations."

b from nj

Post Tue, Oct 08 2013, 8:15 pm
Or you can use the term intercourse.

shirtsandskirts

Post Tue, Oct 08 2013, 8:18 pm
Uuuum, he knows how babies get created. He wouldn't be in business if you didn't have s*x. He will not blink an eye if you use the word, I am sure he has heard it numerous times.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 08 2013, 9:47 pm
My doctor uses the word intercourse. I find that easiest to say when I need to ask if it's allowed and I agree that you shouldn't be vague and say 'physical activity'

watergirl

Post Tue, Oct 08 2013, 9:53 pm
My obgyn is frum and he calls it "the wild thing". True story.

doctorima

Post Tue, Oct 08 2013, 10:26 pm
Nothing you're going to say is going to phase the ob, but if you're uncomfortable using the explicit word, you can say "physical relations" or "marital relations" or even maybe "being together with DH."

amother

Post Tue, Oct 08 2013, 10:37 pm
I have a frum woman OB and I say 'when I'm with my husband'

Happy18

Post Tue, Oct 08 2013, 10:48 pm
Why can't you just say s-x? Maybe I'm indelicate, but I think that when asking medical questions one should be as clear as possible.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 08 2013, 10:51 pm
I had 6 pregnancies and I've used quite a few doctors in Manhattan. They all used the word relations. One of them by mistake said s-x. I thought it was a bit inappropriate and unprofessional, though.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 1:47 am
My doctor is religious. He has used all forms including s-x.

DrMom

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 3:12 am
You shouldn't make yourself feel uncomfortable speaking about a medical matter with your doctor, no matter what his religion.

m in Israel

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 5:54 am
Happy18 wrote:
Why can't you just say s-x? Maybe I'm indelicate, but I think that when asking medical questions one should be as clear as possible.

And how is s-x any more clear than "intercourse"? Or even "marital relations"? (I agree the "physical activity" line is not a good idea, as it is vague, but these two are just as clear and may feel more comfortable for some people as there are less cultural and slangy implications associated with them)

imasoftov

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 7:38 am
amother wrote:
I had 6 pregnancies and I've used quite a few doctors in Manhattan. They all used the word relations. One of them by mistake said s-x. I thought it was a bit inappropriate and unprofessional, though.

You should report him to the medical board.

timtam

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 7:40 am
imasoftov wrote:
amother wrote:

I'm laughing aloud at that one!

doctorima

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 7:43 am
imasoftov wrote:
amother wrote:

Whoa! The ob used the word relations, and he should be reported to the medical board!? Even if she would have preferred he use another term, that seems like quite an overreaction, given that there's nothing else to indicate that he did anything that deserves to be punished or sanctioned.

doctorima

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 7:45 am
Oops, I wrote that the ob used the word s-x, but it got corrected to relations. In this context that's confusing, since the whole focus is on the fact that he used the actual word.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics