Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Need book recommendations for 10 y.o. DS

amother

Post Tue, Oct 08 2013, 10:35 pm
I am trying to get my 10 y.o. DS to read more. He is very bright and a good reader, the trouble is he has very little interest in reading. Last year he read the entire Harry Potter series, and enjoyed it, but I need some new suggestions that he might enjoy. He told me that he doesn't like 'jewish books'. I need suggestions both secular (only very clean) and Judaic - if it's well written he might go for it.

momX4

Post Tue, Oct 08 2013, 10:55 pm
The series of unfortunate events by lemony snicket.

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Oct 08 2013, 11:37 pm
anything by Lloyd Alexander, but especially the Chronicles of Prydain series

Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

The Great Brain series by John D. Fitzgerald

My Side of the Mountain trilogy by Jean Craighead George

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien

A Wrinkle in Time series by Madeleine L'Engle

The Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis

The Wizard of Oz series by L. Frank Baum

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster

The Black Stallion series by Walter Farley

the Charlie Bone series by Jenny Nimmo

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl

The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy by Tolkien

His Dark Materials Series by Philip Pullman (Read it yourself first - it's very anti Christianity and may not be appropriate for your son. Very well written though.)

I haven't read them, but the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series by Jeff Kinney seems to be popular

How about some classics like Treasure Island, Tom Sawyer, Black Beauty, Peter Pan, Swiss Family Robinson, Doctor Dolittle...

RachelEve14

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 1:41 am
I was also going to say The Great Brain series. If you are okay with Harry Potter, I think you would be fine with it but I have not read them in years so check first.

theoneandonly

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 4:38 am
Rutabaga wrote:
anything by Lloyd Alexander, but especially the Chronicles of Prydain series

Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

The Great Brain series by John D. Fitzgerald

My Side of the Mountain trilogy by Jean Craighead George

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien

A Wrinkle in Time series by Madeleine L'Engle

The Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis

The Wizard of Oz series by L. Frank Baum

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster

The Black Stallion series by Walter Farley

the Charlie Bone series by Jenny Nimmo

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl

The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy by Tolkien

His Dark Materials Series by Philip Pullman (Read it yourself first - it's very anti Christianity and may not be appropriate for your son. Very well written though.)

I haven't read them, but the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series by Jeff Kinney seems to be popular

How about some classics like Treasure Island, Tom Sawyer, Black Beauty, Peter Pan, Swiss Family Robinson, Doctor Dolittle...

All great books, but some might be too advanced for a ten year old. The Hobbit, Lord of The Rings, Tom Sawyer would be too hard to get through for a young reader who's not so interested. Ender's Game is amazing but some of the themes might be too advanced for a ten year old and it's also pretty violent.

My eleven year old sister loves the Bartimaeus series by Jonathan Stroud. It has magic and adventure so it might interest someone who liked Harry Potter.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 11:31 am
Thank you all so much for the suggestions. I'm gonna look into them and reserve some of these at the library.

bubbebia

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 2:20 pm
Even though they are very good books and my own children read them, the Chronicles of Narnia series is very blatantly Christian. At least as far as adults are concerned. You might want to read them yourself through the eyes of a 10 year old. Also, Peter Pan the book is very different than Peter Pan the movie and is not a book for a 10 year old. It is very very dark. He also may be a little old for Phantom Tollbooth. The rest are excellent choices. Happy reading!

librarygirl

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 2:36 pm
Ender's Game is not only violent, it has filthy language.
I don't think the Christian overtones in the Narnia series are obvious unless you know about it.
If he enjoyed Harry Potter, try the Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage.
I just read and recommend 'Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library' by Chris Grabenstein.

theoneandonly

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 2:39 pm
bubbebia wrote:
Even though they are very good books and my own children read them, the Chronicles of Narnia series is very blatantly Christian. At least as far as adults are concerned. You might want to read them yourself through the eyes of a 10 year old. Also, Peter Pan the book is very different than Peter Pan the movie and is not a book for a 10 year old. It is very very dark. He also may be a little old for Phantom Tollbooth. The rest are excellent choices. Happy reading!

I loved Narnia as a kid and had no clue they were supposed to be Christian until years after I read them. Most 10 year olds would not realize.

sequoia

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 2:40 pm
Peter Pan is just right for that age, in my view.

And you're never too old for The Phantom Tollbooth!

Jewishmofm

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 3:10 pm
on my 10 year old's nightstand now:
3 Narnia books
A vetted copy of Going solo by Roald Dahl (you'll read it first, vet it if you want to!)
My Side of the Mountain and On the Far Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George
Anne of Windy Poplars by LM Montgomery
History of the Jewish People 2nd Temple Era (artscroll)
Call of the Wild by Jack London (most of his books work for this age. just read them first)

Other recent reading:
Sherlock Holmes
old yeller
85 ways to tie a tie (good for math minds)
caddie woodlawn
caddie woodlawns family
animal farm - george orwell (a firm fave, and he said its a good moshol)

I'm waiting to get my hands on the redwall trilogy by brian jacques to read first - I flipped through it at a friends and it looked good same goes for RL stevenson's stuff

theoneandonly

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 3:56 pm
Jewishmofm wrote:
on my 10 year old's nightstand now:
3 Narnia books
A vetted copy of Going solo by Roald Dahl (you'll read it first, vet it if you want to!)
My Side of the Mountain and On the Far Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George
Anne of Windy Poplars by LM Montgomery
History of the Jewish People 2nd Temple Era (artscroll)
Call of the Wild by Jack London (most of his books work for this age. just read them first)

Other recent reading:
Sherlock Holmes
old yeller
85 ways to tie a tie (good for math minds)
caddie woodlawn
caddie woodlawns family
animal farm - george orwell (a firm fave, and he said its a good moshol)

I'm waiting to get my hands on the redwall trilogy by brian jacques to read first - I flipped through it at a friends and it looked good same goes for RL stevenson's stuff

Yes yes Redwall I lived on those at that age. It's not a trilogy there's way more than three books. All excellent.

BetsyTacy

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 4:11 pm
Clean as a whistle and a fun read-the NYT bestelling Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (it's a four part series).

AlwaysGrateful

Post Thu, Oct 10 2013, 2:43 pm
BetsyTacy wrote:
Clean as a whistle and a fun read-the NYT bestelling Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (it's a four part series).

I second this! These are very good, fascinating reading for a smart kid.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Oct 10 2013, 2:47 pm
wow animal farm at 10?? we read it in HS and it was lost on us

sequoia

Post Thu, Oct 10 2013, 3:07 pm
Ruchel wrote:
wow animal farm at 10?? we read it in HS and it was lost on us

I think I read it at twelve. It was clear who was who.

PAMOM

Post Thu, Oct 10 2013, 4:27 pm
Wow!! Lots of my ds and nephews' favorites here! OP, you can often find a suggested reading level on the backs of books, but if he read the Harry Potter books, none of these will be too hard ( a professional opinion). You can also ask the children's librarian at your local library for guidance. Ruchel, my kids were assigned Animal Farm ascrequired reading in middle school ( yes, a Jewish school). I can't remember if it was 6th or 7th grade though.

spring13

Post Thu, Oct 10 2013, 7:14 pm
Some newer series/books to check out:

-The Secret Series by Pseudonymous Bosch
-Sports-related books by Mike Lupica
-Anthony Horowitz's Alex Rider books (if he's into spy thriller type things)
-Survival/adventure books by Gary Paulsen - Hatchet, the Tucket series
-Gordon Korman - Swindle is great, he's written lots of others as well
-Hardy Boys! This is one of the series that seems to work well, whether it's the older editions or more contemporary ones.
-One-Handed Catch by MJ Auch
-Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko

Would he be interested in graphic novels?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children