Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Do you know what this is?

amother

Post Mon, Oct 14 2013, 9:35 pm
I need help diagnosing my child. I have taken him to 2 therapists and got nowhere and was wondering if anyone had a similar experience or knows what these symptoms sound like. He has difficulty paying attention and focusing, is not hyper, he is not really aware of himself, meaning his shirt could be backwards, inside out half tucked, buttoned crooked with the collar stuck inside and pant leg tucked into a sock and not realize. When he eats he gets food in his hair in his eyes ( and doesn't seem to notice) etc. His writing has become extremely sloppy whereas it used to be neat, he is constantly losing things, forgetting, not understanding. I send him to the basement to get a roll of paper towel and he will return once to ask where he was supposed to go, then I repeat instructions slowly and clearly and he will return with cups. He cant seem to understand math, or have decent comprehension in reading. anything that is taught orally is right over his head. I know it sounds a lot like ADD but I feel that there's more than that. Oh, and btw he is 9 (closer to 10) the food and clothes issue would be ok if he was a toddler but he was neater then, seems to be regressing in certain areas. Any insight would be vey appreciated. TIA

amother

Post Mon, Oct 14 2013, 9:45 pm
Google Non-Verbal Language Disorder. I have a son just like that. Things have gotten more obvious in the last year or so. He is a little older than yours.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Oct 14 2013, 9:46 pm
I would ask his pediatrician for a scan of the head. What is making me say that is that he is, as you put it, regressing. If I understand correctly, you say he is losing competencies he used to have. I would want to know if anything is up with the brain as an organ. They might see if anything is pressing on it.

That's not a therapy thing, that's just physical.

Some neurological work-up seems to be in order too. You seem to be saying he isn't coordinating his movements well: his food is getting where it isn't supposed to go. That might be a neuro-muscular problem.

I am no medic or shrink, just a civilian. There are people here with much more expertise.

I am assuming he has not been exposed to lead dust, paint fumes, solvent fumes, dry cleaner's chemicals, agricultural pesticides or fertilizers, or anything like that in imported furniture or carpets.

You might think about what your house is built on top of. What used to be there, what businesses or industries. What your husband is using in his garage to paint or strip paint off, or what your son is playing near. What may be in the school, playground or park environment that might affect him.

I am assuming he does not have mercury tooth fillings. Lots of people had them without trouble, but I thought I would mention it.

I hope no curly bulbs broke near him; they contain mercury.

You might have your water analyzed, it's not difficult.

Not trying to scare you, just musing.

Last edited by Dolly Welsh on Mon, Oct 14 2013, 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cookies n Cream

Post Mon, Oct 14 2013, 9:48 pm
Have you had him evaluated?
A therapist might not help if you're sure what his issues are. Once you have him evaluated you can pinpoint what the specific issues are and take it from there.

I assume you meant therapist as in a social worker as opposed to an OT or PT. Correct me if I'm wrong..

Cookies n Cream

Post Mon, Oct 14 2013, 9:51 pm
Dolly has a good point. I would definitely speak to a pediatrician if he is regressing . your pediatrician should be able to refer you to the next step.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 14 2013, 9:52 pm
google dyspraxia

amother

Post Mon, Oct 14 2013, 10:25 pm
op- I have googled both non verbal language disorder and dyspraxia. He seems to have some of the symptoms for both but neither fully. He is very well physically coordinated, love sports and group sport activities, not a social loner. It seems that he has friends, it's more the adults and his older siblings who have trouble understanding him. As far as eating, he gets the food in his mouth fine, he's just not aware of how messy and sloppy he's being at he same time. Last year I sent in a hair sample to be tested for mercury and other metals, report came back fine. He has been to psychologists , not physical therapist, but they just shmoozed with him and it didn't go anywhere because, he didn't contribute much, shy with them, chatterbox to me. Thank you all for your suggestions, it's very validating. What could be seen by a brain scan?

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Oct 14 2013, 10:46 pm
Something might be physically pressing on something in his head.

I would take careful, dated, notes about all concerning behaviors, before talking to a doctor, so the picture is complete. The doctor will want to know how often things occur. And what your son's thinking seems to be when they occur.

Please speak to a pediatrician about him.

He is a friendly, intelligent, boy, but something is up with him.

I am assuming his height, weight, sleep, and appetite are ok for his age.

It is important to have a pediatrician you like and feel comfortable about calling any time.

bubbebia

Post Mon, Oct 14 2013, 11:48 pm
Talk to your pediatrician. A neuro consult sounds like it might be in order.

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 15 2013, 12:32 am
I agree with Dolly, the regression part worries me and the first thing I'd want to do is rule out everything physical or medical that could cause that. If you hadn't mentioned that he previously had skills (such as neat handwriting) I could give you a whole list of things that could cause the problems you describe, but for someone to be able to do something and then no longer be able to do it, at this age (in infancy and toddlerhood and thereabouts it is not so uncommon for skills to come and go, even without any developmental problem), is quite alarming and I'd want to thoroughly look for a cause.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Oct 15 2013, 1:06 am
It also occurred to me to wonder about parasites or worms, because of the impairments in his remembering, and reasoning; his thinking.

Has he been swimming in lakes, or the ocean, or has he traveled to the tropics? Or, do you have a cat or dog he cuddles? Any pet, even a turtle? Any living creature.

Does he go barefoot outside? Does he play in nature? In the woods? Perhaps in a children's camp?

Again, I am not diagnosing, just musing.

Again, it's the regression from previous competence that is the point.

If you can remember WHEN this incompetence started, when it seems to you there was a change, that might be useful.

You might think about WHAT he was doing, and where he was going at that time. Did any new pet come then, for instance.

I also thought of Lyme disease, which is easy to get in certain areas. That can sometimes cause neurological problems, and mental problems, if not treated early, says Wikipedia. A blood test might reveal that.

Refuah Shleima.

Last edited by Dolly Welsh on Tue, Oct 15 2013, 1:15 am; edited 3 times in total

Bruria

Post Tue, Oct 15 2013, 1:10 am
I would think that maybe a neuropsychologist or a psychiatrist might have an answer, since they have both psychological and medical knowledge. Look into good universities, usually they have good people and good prices for evaluations.

tzila

Post Tue, Oct 15 2013, 2:24 pm
Have your pediatrician check for PANDAS

Barbara

Post Tue, Oct 15 2013, 2:39 pm
I'd suggest a psych-ed evaluation. Remember, learning differences often co-exist. You're looking for something that explains "everything," while it could be 3 difference co-existing issues. Or it may be that as thing impact him, he shuts down in other areas. He's not doing well in school ---> he becomes sloppy and doesn't care, or regresses.

A few questions. Does he do better with single-step instructions (pick up your sock that is in front of you) than multi-step (go to the basement, find the paper towels, and bring me a roll). Does he do better with non-auditory input than with auditory input (remember, reading is auditory). Does he have more difficulty understanding you when there is noise than when it is quiet?

sneakermom

Post Tue, Oct 15 2013, 2:40 pm
Has he ever been tested for auditory processing disorder?

Had you sent him down to the basement with the word toilet paper written on a paper, would he still have had a problem following the directive?

Has he regressed in memory or just sloppiness?

Does he talk about himself, express feelings, ask for things he needs, discuss what he thinks about stuff?

What do the teachers say about him?

As far as therapy you need a play therapist who can build a rapport and communicate with him through play, it breaks barriers much further than just talk therapy for a child that age.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics