Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
At what point do you knead your challah?

miracleshappen

Post Tue, Oct 15 2013, 11:14 am
When do you knead your challah? Before it rises or after (right before you braid).

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Oct 15 2013, 11:46 am
miracleshappen wrote:
When do you knead your challah? Before it rises or after (right before you braid).

I'm not sure if I get your question. If you have a Bosch, I think it kneads it for you. I have a Kitchen Aid that's not large enough for the dough. So depending on the recipe, I mix all the ingredients but the flour, pour the flour into my big bowl, add the liquid, and knead right away. Then I let it rise once, braid, let it rise again and bake. Unless you're making some sort of artisinal no-knead bread, kneading is done at the beginning of the process, you don't get a dough otherwise.

greenfire

Post Tue, Oct 15 2013, 11:49 am
yeah you have to knead the ingredients to turn it into dough ... then you let it rise - then knead it again & shape ... [some people let it rise twice before shaping - I find this too yeasty for my taste]

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Oct 15 2013, 12:12 pm
greenfire wrote:
yeah you have to knead the ingredients to turn it into dough ... then you let it rise - then knead it again & shape ... [some people let it rise twice before shaping - I find this too yeasty for my taste]

I'm not a food scientist so if what I'm about to say is true, I don't know the lomdus, but I've noticed that recipes that call for the challah to be baked in individual pans usually require just the first rising before shaping, whereas if they're to be baked free-form on a cookie sheet, they call for a second rising.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Oct 15 2013, 12:15 pm
I bake them free form and only let them rise once. they're fine. op, I knead it to form the dough. that's it. I let it rise, dump it out on the table, punch it flat (I love the sound of the air escaping Smile ), and braid. I know people who let it rise at least twice. do what works for you. experiment a little.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen