Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Ah, the joys of shared property in Brooklyn...help!

amother

Post Thu, Oct 24 2013, 8:43 pm
B'H we live in a house but we have a shared driveway and our garage is attached to our neighbors' garage (they share a roof). The roof is in really bad condition and the neighbors want to replace their side but it can't be replaced without replacing part of our side. They got an estimate saying that the minimum for the roofer to replace just what's needed from our side would be several hundred dollars. Which we can't afford right now, and we have a lot of other priorities for our money such as food and tuition. I don't want our neighbors to know about our finances, nor do we want to go into debt over this (though our credit cards are maxed out). My question is, how do we say no without causing a rift or embarrassing ourselves? Any advice?

piece

Post Thu, Oct 24 2013, 8:54 pm
in my humble opinion---it might be worth borrowing $ from a gemach or a bank loan for the sake of shalom between neighbors.
hatzlocha!

ChutzPAh

Post Thu, Oct 24 2013, 9:12 pm
If the roof is so bad that it leaks and they can't put stuff in the garage, then you really should be pitching in your share to fix it. Also, if its not fixed in time, the damage could be worse and more costly to repair in the future.

greenfire

Post Thu, Oct 24 2013, 9:33 pm
it might be cheaper to replace the entire roof & split it 50/50 ... instead of them getting all theirs fixed with a fraction of yours ... double check a price with their roofer

you should get your own estimate ... before you consider saying yes or no

STovah

Post Fri, Oct 25 2013, 5:08 pm
piece wrote:
in my humble opinion---it might be worth borrowing $ from a gemach or a bank loan for the sake of shalom between neighbors.
hatzlocha!

I wish there was a 'dislike' button...

Please do not take out a loan so that your neighbor's garage can be fixed. Tell your neighbors that you cannot afford to fix the garage right now.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics