Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Does your daughter have a full-length mirror?
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 4:19 pm

Do you believe every girl needs one?

At what age?

Fabulous

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 4:20 pm
growing up, I didn't have ANY mirror in my room. Bathroom with both a full length and regular was just next door to my room. No need. Makeup I applied with a small handheld mirror.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 4:26 pm
If you don't have room for a full-length mirror in your apartment (long story), would you go out of your way to make room for a full-length mirror or would it suffice to put an 18 inch mirror on top of a desk?

18 inch mirror

angelinheaven

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 4:27 pm
amother wrote:

Do you believe every girl needs one?

At what age?

Is your daughter asking you to buy her a full length mirror? If so, why would you not buy her one?

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 4:30 pm
DD has one on the back of the bedroom door, it came with the house. She only uses it to play dress up princess.

Some people are very opposed to full length mirrors, because they may lead to body image issues and eating disorders. Some people think that it's not tznius to look at your whole body like that.

I grew up with a full length mirror in my bedroom, and I'm fine, but I do see the reasoning behind someone not wanting one.

Simple1

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 4:31 pm
We had one but it broke, so we have to replace it. It's not a big deal to buy one in any store such as Walmart, closeout connection etc.

It's a good thing to have as soon as they become responsible for managing their own appearance.

Lady Godiva

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 4:34 pm
amother wrote:
Does your daughter have a full-length mirror? Yes.

Do you believe every girl needs one? Not necessarily her own, but she should have access to one.
At what age? It's not a necessity, but it's helpful for a teenager to have a full length mirror. My daughter has one since she was very little, but I'm not sure she actually used it while getting dressed until her tween years.

Lady Godiva

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 4:38 pm
amother wrote:
If you don't have room for a full-length mirror in your apartment (long story), would you go out of your way to make room for a full-length mirror or would it suffice to put an 18 inch mirror on top of a desk?

18 inch mirror

I'd make room for one. An 18" mirror will not help you see if your skirt is tucked into your pantyhose. (True story.) Or if your dress is a bit too tight. Or if you should change your shoes to something different.

If you don't have room, or don't want to spend too much, you can buy one of those mirrors that you hang behind the door.

Dini

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 4:41 pm
I would not have managed without one growing up so I think a teenager needs one

Simple1

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 4:44 pm
You can hang a mirror on a wall or like lady godiva said, get the ones that hang over the bedroom or closet door. Or put it somewhere else where there's room like the hallway or bathroom.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 4:53 pm
I agree with Lady Godiva.
I have one of these in white - same color as the door.
http://www.target.com/p/over-t.....irror

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 5:01 pm
I can't imagine life without one. How else are you supposed to check if your complete outfit looks right? This is not an OCD body image thing, it's basic maintenance IMHO...

EmesOrNT

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 5:16 pm
Definitely, a teenager should have one. Every woman should have one.

ttbtbm

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 5:34 pm
Yes! Boys too. I hang them in the inside of the closet door. That way the mirror is available but not in their face all day.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 5:51 pm
Yes, it's a must to have a full length mirror. How do you get dressed in the morning otherwise? You need to check that you look well put together first. It's not enough to just look at your face, you need to see your outfit, how it looks.

oliveoil

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 7:28 pm
Of course! How do you not have one?

Everyone needs to be able to check that they're neat, clean and put together.

rising hero

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 7:40 pm
The mirror is one of my closest friends.
(My mil has plenty of mirrors around her house but she doesn't have a full length one. I hate that. It's where I need it the most!)

zaq

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 8:02 pm
seeker wrote:
I can't imagine life without one. How else are you supposed to check if your complete outfit looks right? This is not an OCD body image thing, it's basic maintenance IMHO...

This.
How else are you going to know that your skirt is too short or too long, your hem is coming down, static is making your skirt cling to your every curve, your shirttails are coming out, your tights clash with your skirt, the back of your skirt is caught in the waistband of your tights or between your cheeks, you need to wear a slip with that skirt, that dress looks clunky with flats or with boots, a fisherman knit sweater does not go with a pastel floral voile skirt, which doesn't go with cable-knit navy blue tights, which don't go with white patent-leather stillettoes?

Unless you want your dds standing on chairs (a very bad habit, is standing on chairs) to view their lower halves in their dresser mirror, you need to allow them access to a full-length mirror from the time they start getting dressed on their own. It needn't be in their room--it can be in the hall or the bathroom if you fear that they'll spend too much time adoring their own images--although they can do that with a hand mirror, too.

zaq

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 8:08 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Some people think that it's not tznius to look at your whole body like that.

Well, sure, if you're going to strip down to your birthday suit and gaze at yourself. Do most of us do that very often? And if you really wanted to, you could strip down to your birthday suit and look at your body section by section in a dresser mirror or even in the bathroom mirror.

zaq

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 8:12 pm
Even guys need a full-length mirror to make sure they look presentable. If you don't want people gazing at their own nude bodies, put the mirror in a public place like the entrance hall or OUTSIDE the bathroom door.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children