Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Does your daughter have a full-length mirror?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

peacemom

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 5:13 am
A must for every teen girl and woman. How can we otherwise see if we are leaving the house properly dressed?

kalsee

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 5:23 am
People, please please put a full length mirror in your guest room.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 5:25 am
We have one in the hall. I don't have a teenage daughter (well, I do but she's 8.5). The entire family uses it.
Edited
I don't know if our DDs will have one in their room as a teenager, but it's a good guess that they will.
Edited another time:
My grandmother had only a large wide mirror over the vanity in the bathroom for guests, so when I was staying with her, I would climb on the (covered) toilet to see if my lower part looked presentable. True story.

Isramom8

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 6:01 am
My girls have something like that 18 inch mirror on their wall. You can walk away a little to get a fuller view. One daughter says she needs davka a full length mirror, but I tell her that her older sister managed to get married without one.

We have large, part-length mirrors in the bathrooms. The oven mirror in the kitchen does a pretty good reflecting job too.

DrMom

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 6:07 am
Why is this a topic of discussion?

If your dd wants a full-length mirror, and there is room on the wall and money in the bank for it, what's the big deal to get her a mirror?

anotherima

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 6:15 am
" Some people think that it's not tznius to look at your whole body like that."
HUH?????

Frumdoc

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 7:19 am
Complete necessity somewhere in the house, preferably not in the bathroom or it will get steamed up when you most need it.

Otherwise how do you expect her to learn how to look overall neat and well presented?

There are other ways to address lack of tzanua, removing all the mirrors is not one of them!

A general awareness of your body shape, what suits you and how to look smart is healthy. If you have no idea what your body looks like how do you know how to dress, or how it works?

imaima

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 8:34 am
amother wrote:
Does your daughter have a full-length mirror?

Do you believe every girl needs one?

At what age?

Are you kidding me! I haven't had one until last year, and I am 28.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 8:40 am
Unless you can't afford it, get her one if she wants.
That said I never used mine, only looked at the top in the bathroom mirror. Still don't use mine.

imaima

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 8:44 am
Isramom8 wrote:
My girls have something like that 18 inch mirror on their wall. You can walk away a little to get a fuller view. One daughter says she needs davka a full length mirror, but I tell her that her older sister managed to get married without one.

We have large, part-length mirrors in the bathrooms. The oven mirror in the kitchen does a pretty good reflecting job too.

I just love it how everything that happens in a girl's life revolves around getting married. How about looking good every day?

greenfire

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 8:59 am
they stand on top of the toilet bowl & look in the medicine cabinet mirror ... [note to self - ah that's why the toilet seat always breaks] because the one in the hallway is too far away [NOT]

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 9:04 am
I grew up with a full length mirror on the back of my door. It didn't make me vain, but it did help me look put-together. All the bedrooms in my parents' house have the same type of mirror - even the boys' rooms.

The only room in my house that came with a mirror like that is the master bedroom, which has a mirror on the inside of the closet door. When we turned DD's room into a big girl's room (ie bed instead of crib), we put a mirror on the back of her door. She's 5, so right now she only uses it to make sure I've done a good job putting her hair up in a half pony or ponytail.

The first item I bought specifically for my guest room was a mirror to hang on the door, per my mother's request.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 9:12 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
DD has one on the back of the bedroom door, it came with the house. She only uses it to play dress up princess.

Some people are very opposed to full length mirrors, because they may lead to body image issues and eating disorders. Some people think that it's not tznius to look at your whole body like that.

I grew up with a full length mirror in my bedroom, and I'm fine, but I do see the reasoning behind someone not wanting one.
Why ever not?

Isramom8

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 9:30 am
I meant that my daughter "even" managed to get married without owning a full length mirror. Of course it's important to look tzniusly pretty ad tidy every day that you go among people. I definitely encourage pride in one's appropriate appearance. I just think that a girl can manage this with a 3/4 length mirror in her room plus large bathroom mirrors that I already bought. She doesn't "need" a full length one, per se.

marina

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 12:26 pm
zaq wrote:
FranticFrummie wrote:
Some people think that it's not tznius to look at your whole body like that.

Well, sure, if you're going to strip down to your birthday suit and gaze at yourself. Do most of us do that very often? And if you really wanted to, you could strip down to your birthday suit and look at your body section by section in a dresser mirror or even in the bathroom mirror.

Nothing wrong with staring at your naked self. Don't we all do it just before mikvah?

amother

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 7:48 pm
DrMom wrote:
Why is this a topic of discussion?

If your dd wants a full-length mirror, and there is room on the wall and money in the bank for it, what's the big deal to get her a mirror?

We don't have the room, and there is no place to put one over the door or on the walls. So, we will make room for a standing mirror.

I saw this one on overstock.

Overstock Mirror

We can squeeze it in between the desk and the closet. It's a tight squeeze, but I guess it's worth it.

oliveoil

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 9:44 pm
You can get one that sticks on the inside of a closet door, even, which requires no extra space at all.

Simple1

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 10:03 pm
Wouldn't a floor mirror take up more space than a wall or closet mirror.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 2:20 pm
Simple1 wrote:
Wouldn't a floor mirror take up more space than a wall or closet mirror.

We have a junior-four apartment. We are using the "dinette" as a bedroom bc it's cheaper than a two-bedroom.

(I wished we lived in Lakewood...)

One wall is a sliding door, and it cannot support a mirror. The sliding doors are solid, though.

There is no window, so the doors are slatted to allow air. This is why we cannot put the mirror on the doors since they will block the air.

Likewise, the closets are portable and cannot support a mirror (I wish I lived in Lakewood)... (Ebay.com and type in "portable closet"

blossoming

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 2:45 pm
Regarding the tzniyus issue, I think that a full length mirror is actually a necessity tool she should use to make sure her appearance is tzniyus enough, before leaving the house. Every Jewish girl should have the option of seeing the whole picture of her entire self before stepping out.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children