Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Warming up solid food on shabbos

tikvuchka

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 10:27 pm
I was taught as a child growing up in MO home that to warm up food, solids, on shabbos day you put a blech (aluminum slab) over the fire and then put the food on it to warm up..I became frummer and now run a yeshivish home. My husband is a BT and he just recently learned that this method is not ok.....

We are waiting to hear back from our rav, but I am just curious what other people do....?

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 11:03 pm
We use a medeiros blech. In our case a steam tray with a flat lid. You can't cook on it, it's only for warming

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 11:04 pm
Not yeshivish btw, my rav us yu orthodox

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 11:10 pm
I either warm up the kugel on top of the crockpot (if it's in a small enough pan that it fits), or I turn a frying pan upside down on the blech (not right over the fire) and put the kugel on top. It takes a while to heat up that way, so I put it up at least an hour and a half before we plan to sit down for lunch.

SS6099

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 11:23 pm
Either I put it in the corner of the blech away from the fire, or atop of the crockpot. Both work great.

sped

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 3:16 am
I use a mini cupcake pan on the blech and put it on top of that.

Karnash

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 3:47 am
I use this: http://www.alplata.com/ - it's a raised grate that goes over the plata.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 8:01 am
The top of the inverted crockpot lid works for us. I have also reheated food on top of a steam table pan full of hot water on the blech.

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 8:54 am
We heat things up on the blech. Even with a little liquid. What is not permitted according to our minhag is to heat foods with a lot of liquid, and "hatmanah" which is inserting a food into a (crock) pot on Shabbat to heat it up.

theoneandonly

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 9:08 am
Most yeshivish people only heat up dry food and don't put it directly on the blech but on top of a pot of hot food (crockpot) or on an upside down pan on top of the blech.

studying_torah

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 10:49 am
can't you put solid food directly onto the hot plate?

Frumdoc

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 6:57 am
I turn a roasting dish upside down on the plata and heat on that. Most people I know do the same.

yaelinIN

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 7:41 am
studying_torah wrote:
can't you put solid food directly onto the hot plate?

Platas (hot plates) and blechs have different halachos. You can (if you hold this way) heat up in a more direct way on a plata vs a blech.

nyer1

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 8:09 am
We put an inverted cookie sheet on too of the blech and the food goes on there.

smilethere

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 9:19 am
We put everything on the hot plate / blech before shabbos.

If it is an emergency (like extra guests) I have put a challah on top of an upside-down aluminium container on the blech. I'm not sure about things like kugel etc which would have some liquid.

Don't rely on Imamother. Go ask your husbands Rav, or whoever is teaching him the halochos at the moment.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 4:01 pm
We also hold very simlar to Lady G.
Our plata is on timer. We heat solid food on shabbat by placing them straight from the fridge while the plata is still off.
During the course in the morning the timer kicks in and foods get heated. To the best of my knowledge, this is recommended by London Beth Din.

Mommy3.5

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 5:49 pm
Sefardim do it the way you grew up with. there is halachic basis for what your parents do. please do not call it wrong/not halacchicly correct, because there are many legs for it to stand on. most people use a shallow pan, upside down on top of the blech, that is fine even directly over the fire.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen