Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How is this kosher?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 7:09 am
I bought some sushi just now because I was in a rush and when I looked up the ingredient (Kani) it says it's crab. Crab is not kosher. How is that possible that they are selling this??

amother

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 7:11 am
They make it with white fish and it's called mock crab

scrltfr

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 7:11 am
It's imitation crab. Totally kosher.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 7:12 am
scrltfr wrote:
It's imitation crab. Totally kosher.

I see, well the ingredients do not say this!

amother

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 7:13 am
why don't they say whatever it is? it must be something

greenfire

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 7:13 am
well did you buy kosher sushi ? or were you in too much of a rush to pick up the right one ...

amother

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 7:16 am
greenfire wrote:
well did you buy kosher sushi ? or were you in too much of a rush to pick up the right one ...

everything in the shop is kosher

flowerpower

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 7:17 am
Yes, its mock crab.

greenfire

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 7:20 am
well then - I'm sure it's mock kani

according to google it's made with pollock amongst other ingredients

amother

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 7:24 am
so you are saying they take another fish and just say it's crab? why not just say what it is?

greenfire

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 7:26 am
go ask the people who made it ... I'm getting too crabby to figure why this sounds fishy

imasoftov

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 7:41 am
I'm usually the person to argue to be meikil, but I think if it says kani in the ingredients, I'd check with the mashgiach to make sure the label, not the food, is the mistake, because as far as I can tell from googling, kani means crab in Japanese, not mock crab.

On the other hand if the label says kani but the ingredients have the name of a kosher fish, and it came from a kosher store, I'd eat it.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 8:47 am
Imasoftov, there is no labelling of any other fish, it just says kami. This shop is for charedi people it's not a rull of the mill kosher store. That's why I can't understand how it could be crab. I don't understand why not list all the products in it properly? What's the point of pretending it's kami? It also has nori whatever that means. We don't eat that anyway. It's like taking something and saying it's bacon. Also you are by law meant to list all that is in a product.

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 9:03 am
Nori is seaweed.

Why did you buy the sushi if you were worried about the ingredients?

amother

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 9:11 am
Rutabaga wrote:
Nori is seaweed.

Why did you buy the sushi if you were worried about the ingredients?

I only found out that it means crab when I got home

momX4

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 9:15 am
Is there a hechsher on the package?

I have found non-kosher items in a kosher supermarket. They are humans and can make mistakes. You always have to check labels.

I took the non-kosher item to the store manager who promptly removed it from the shelves.

Mommy3.5

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 9:15 am
kosher stores can make mistakes. is there a hechsher on the bottle? call up the kashrut organization if you are worried nd ask about it. I would not eat something that said it contained crab unless it was marked immitation, clearly with reliable certification.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 9:21 am
momX4 wrote:
Is there a hechsher on the package?

I have found non-kosher items in a kosher supermarket. They are humans and can make mistakes. You always have to check labels.

I took the non-kosher item to the store manager who promptly removed it from the shelves.

Yes there is , I just checked. it was from a separate part of the store that sells only sushi, not just off the shelves

amother

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 9:22 am
Calm down amother! I can totally understand that it was baffling to see that it means crab, but obviously the person serving up the sushi is an idiot. If it is a legitimate kosher store (and many religious people go there) there is no way they would sell crab, or anything non kosher. Don't worry!!

amother

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 9:24 am
and I mean he is an idiot because of the way he is listing the ingredients.

Was he Japanese looking? because at my kosher food store (where they have the same thing with the sushi) it is run by Japanese people so maybe they don't know much better and are just trying to "replicate" their food so call it the same thing.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen