Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Help! How can I see what programs are running via my wifi?

YALT

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 7:50 am
I have a border. Ever since this person came, We are having trouble doing our own things on the wifi. the computer (internet based work) is going super slow.
Finally the other day my husband confronting this person and asked if he's downloading anything and very casually he's like "yeah. I have my 3 movies lined up."

Now he just left the house for the day and I was on my computer and suddenly (shortly before he left) it started slowing down again. But wham!He's gone!

SO MY QUESTION IS:
Is there a way/program or something that from my computer, I can see everything that my wifi is actually doing at the moment? We have the program "Who's on my wifi" and we see it's just ours and his things on it. But is there a way to see what his computer is actually doing on my wifi?

Also, does anyone know how I can change my password to my wifi?

questioner

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 10:10 am
YALT wrote:
I have a border. Ever since this person came, We are having trouble doing our own things on the wifi. the computer (internet based work) is going super slow.
Finally the other day my husband confronting this person and asked if he's downloading anything and very casually he's like "yeah. I have my 3 movies lined up."

Now he just left the house for the day and I was on my computer and suddenly (shortly before he left) it started slowing down again. But wham!He's gone!

SO MY QUESTION IS:
Is there a way/program or something that from my computer, I can see everything that my wifi is actually doing at the moment? We have the program "Who's on my wifi" and we see it's just ours and his things on it. But is there a way to see what his computer is actually doing on my wifi?

Also, does anyone know how I can change my password to my wifi?

You have to login to your router, and there will usually be some way of seeing current network traffic with the associated machine name. You can also change the wifi password over there.

Different routers have different ways of logging on, here's a way to get your ip address:
1. Do run -> cmd
2. In the black window that pops up, type "ipconfig" and press enter
3. You'll get a list with a lot of numbers. Look for something that says default gateway: and begins with 192.168 (ususally 192.168.0.1 or something similar)
4. Open up a browser and type that exact sequence of numbers, with the periods (ex: 192.168.0.1) and press enter
5. This is where each router has its own screen. You can generally see some information from the landing screen and have to login for more info.

ElTam

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 12:18 pm
You can also lock your wifi with a password.

YALT

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 12:20 pm
@questioner I just PMed you. I did that. But it asks for ID and password. not sure which one I need here but my computer login didn't work.

YALT

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 12:22 pm
I HAVE a password to log into my internet. we gave it to him not realizing how much he would hog it up. We always give it to our guests and boarders and have never had an issue.

I want to change that password. I found where to change it. But then I get locked out because my computer is set to automatically connect to the internet with the old password and it's not giving me the option to change the password where you log on.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 12:41 pm
You might need to uninstall the internet connect software and reinstall then reset the pw
If that doesn't work try asking on toms hardware.com

questioner

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 1:08 pm
YALT wrote:
I HAVE a password to log into my internet. we gave it to him not realizing how much he would hog it up. We always give it to our guests and boarders and have never had an issue.

I want to change that password. I found where to change it. But then I get locked out because my computer is set to automatically connect to the internet with the old password and it's not giving me the option to change the password where you log on.

When the list of networks pop up on the bottom, right click Your_Network and choose Properties. You'll see the saved password there. Clear it out, and put in the new one.

YALT

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 3:45 pm
ok. I thought that's where you set it up. Thanks a ton for all ur help. I'm all figured out now! I went to the IP address and with help from router company I logged in, then I managed to change password. Then I went to where I had been changing it all along and was able to change it for this computer. And now it's all done Smile
thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics