Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Gift for DIL - What to buy
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Nov 03 2013, 10:21 am
My DIL had a baby le'Mazel Tov.

She is presently recuperating in mother's relief center (kimpet home).

I am planning to visit her in a day or two. I already got a lovely gift for the baby.

I want to bring something for her when I visit her. I would spend up to $50.00

I already got her a perfume kit once before. Don't wanna go that route again.

Chocolates won't do because she's not a nosher, besides lots of delicious edibles are being provided there.

Any other ideas?

TIA

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Nov 03 2013, 10:25 am
give her a gift certificate to a clothing store. new moms often need clothing to fit. you could get her a really comfy bathrobe and slippers, you could give her a homemade certificate entitling her to a few hours of your time for babysitting and a gift certificate to get her nails done. if you have hospital pictures of the baby, you could have a photo mug made for her and give her some really nice coffee/hot chocolate/tea.

Lovelymom1

Post Sun, Nov 03 2013, 11:06 am
Gift certificate for professional photos?

rw555

Post Sun, Nov 03 2013, 11:12 am
Maybe a cute little bracelet

amother

Post Sun, Nov 03 2013, 11:16 am
As a DIL who is due shortly... I would love it if my MIL bought me a gift certificate for some pampering after the birth. Mani/Pedi or Spa or for some new makeup.
Something to make me feel good after feeling 9 months of overall yuchiness. But that's just me.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 03 2013, 11:23 am
OP here. Thank you everyone for responding.

Shes from way out of town so gift certificates won't do in this case.

She was well prepared beforehand with new nightgowns and robes, so that is out as well.

gold21

Post Sun, Nov 03 2013, 11:40 am
A gift set of nicely-scented hand lotions from Sephora? Cuz the winter is coming... (I know the brand L'Occitane has a gift set with a few different scented hand lotions)

bubbebia

Post Sun, Nov 03 2013, 1:58 pm
The gift card for a mani/pedi is a great idea! Who doesn't need some pampering, especially after 9 mos of not being able to see your feet? Or a nice pair of earrings if she has pierced ears. I'm always in favor of jewelry. Or a mani/pedi...

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Nov 03 2013, 5:04 pm
Deleted.

Last edited by amother on Thu, Jan 14 2016, 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total

SplitPea

Post Sun, Nov 03 2013, 5:07 pm
Instill say clothing gift card. Jc penny, Macy's, Bloomingdales etc are in most malls and a few new tops might really make her feel better. Also a local spa might have where you can get a gift card online/by phone.

watergirl

Post Sun, Nov 03 2013, 5:33 pm
The day of my sons bris, my aunt gave me a hot pack type thing from Origins. I would link it but I dont know how to on my phone. Its lavender scented and its the perfect size to warm me up on these cold winterish nights. I loved it because it was a gift just for me, to make me feel calm and relaxed. Its perfect to help relax during nursing sessions, btw, esp in the beginning when nursing is the most difficult. Google "origins lavender hug". And if they have a microwave in the kimpturin home, she can use it right away! They sell them at macys.

Last edited by watergirl on Sun, Nov 03 2013, 5:37 pm; edited 2 times in total

sushi galore

Post Sun, Nov 03 2013, 5:35 pm
OPINIONATED wrote:
I would buy her a costume necklace for $10 and keep the rest for myself. LOL

Cheap MIL!
Good job your not mine. I would send you a photocopy of 1 baby pic.

sushi galore

Post Sun, Nov 03 2013, 5:39 pm
When you go to visit her get her a GC from her home town or call a beauty spa place to mail one to her, you can always pay by cc over phone.

spring13

Post Sun, Nov 03 2013, 5:40 pm
Find a local spa for her, or I agree that a clothing gift card is nice.

cs1

Post Sun, Nov 03 2013, 6:22 pm
personally, I would prefer to be asked what I want.
we gave my sil a $100 gift card with a really cute "mommy gift card" we told her to pmper herself. she bought $100 worth of makeup and was really excited.

prestige

Post Sun, Nov 03 2013, 6:46 pm
another vote for GC at local spa!

I recently had a baby, and this is what I enjoyed the most, some pampering. I felt like I really deserve it after 9 mos being preg.

thedudette

Post Sun, Nov 03 2013, 7:23 pm
Another vote for a mani pedi - maybe adding in a short massage would be nice if the place near her offers that.

zaq

Post Sun, Nov 03 2013, 8:56 pm
GC for mani-pedi is appropriate only if the new mom is the type who goes for that sort of thing. Speaking for myself, such a gift would have been a total waste. Not only would I not have had the time to go, but I would have had zero interest. Plus, I might have seen it as a subtle dig at my personal grooming. ESPECIALLY in the early weeks post-partum, when I considered myself lucky if I got to brush my teeth once a day. Then again, I wasn't being pampered in a kimpatorinheim, so my POV may be different.

gold21

Post Sun, Nov 03 2013, 9:04 pm
Yeah I wouldn't have appreciated a mani-pedi either...
I can barely get out of the house to go to the grocery in the first couple of months PP- forget about a trip to the salon!

I like Watergirl's idea.

Or maybe a body pillow or one of those Husband pillows that you can recline against?

balibusta

Post Sun, Nov 03 2013, 9:42 pm
My mom in law bought some new novels for me when I had a baby I appreciated it!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics