Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
I want to take a parenting course

amother

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 9:50 pm
I feel like I really need to take a parenting course. I see how I have no idea how to handle my kids and I resort to yelling and threatening to get them to listen to me. They are still young (6, 4, and 3) but I can't even imagine what it will be like when they turn into teenagers!

I want to sign up for Dina Friedman's parenting course, but we can't afford it. Is there any other online/phone class that is tried and true and isn't so expensive?

amother

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 9:53 pm
"Raise the bar" parenting course by Simi Yellen. It is also done by phone conference call.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 10:18 pm
OP here to amother above,

Have you actually taken the course? What can you tell me about it? Pros/cons? Has it actually helped you?

happy mommy6

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 10:33 pm
I've taken Rivka Levitansky's class- its excellent and deals with everything. I found it very helpful- but it takes a lot of work on our part to make it happen! I'm actually taking it a second time now- I took it several years ago. Its based off of Rebbetzin Spetner's famous parenting classes in EY, but she adds a lot of her own stuff too, If I remember correctly its $11 a class and there are ten classes per session. I think there are 3-4 sessions for a complete cycle- so the class basically is all year, but there are breaks yomtov time etc...

working hard

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 10:35 pm
Try Rabbi Brezak's course. I think the main workshops are $25 a month but he also has mini workshops that are cheaper.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 1:32 am
I'm taking now Perel Abramowitz class and love it I first heard her on Akeres Habayis hotline option 7-2-1 then 1-27 she has a class going in bp live and one in the phone Tuesday evening. I just heard she's starting for Israelis 9pm Israel time 2pm here.
her classes are for 10 weeks.

Sparkle

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 2:10 am
I took Simi Yellen's course. While I don't think it was a waste of my time and I did implement certain ideas of hers, her approach as a whole was not the right one for my family.
I liked her hashkafa behind the class - the idea what exactly our role as a parent is, and what we should be expecting from our children. I started out being a mother who was very unstructured and not great at discipline - since I am a bit of a free spirit by nature. But when that resulted in a pretty dysfunctional family life I started to reexamine and rethink my role as a mother. Her class was not the answer per say, but was a step in the right direction for me.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 6:20 am
I'd highly recommend u should take the Chanoch L'naar course by Dina Friedman. Its not a live course however her course is amazing. Its all by phone and she does have a FAQ option that covers most things that people have questions on. She gives many different ways to deal with things since there isn't 1 thing that works for everyone. The results are unbelievable.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 12:00 pm
I just want to point out the Dina Friedman's course is not more expensive than others when you break it down by class -- she has more classes than most others, which makes it more comprehensive.

Rivka Levitansky's would end up with similar pricing.

Simi Yellen's course doesn't have as many classes, IIRC.

But if you can't afford it, you can't afford it Sad

If you're a book reader, try taking out books from the library and applying techniques...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics