Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Ahh! What will become of the pareve food???
1  2  3  4  Next

wiki

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 9:14 pm
After years of working to make this happen, the FDA announced today this it is going to "all but completely ban" trans fats from ingredients like partially hydrogenated vegetable oil and things like that in commercially sold foods.

Yay for people's health, but how do you make a pareve cake frosting or pareve butterscotch bars (or any of the desserts in the Bais Yaakov cookbook for crying out loud!) if margarine becomes banned in America? What will become of Reisman's brownie bars?

It's almost like when Pepsi Max was banned in America for too much caffeine content and you could only find it in Israel. But I never liked Pepsi Max anyway.

What do people think? Am I overreacting? How will we evolve our pareve recipes?

I know some things can be made with oil substituted, but can everything be made that way?

Last edited by wiki on Sun, Nov 10 2013, 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total

oliveoil

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 9:29 pm
We'll all be a lot better off!

And coconut oil, and coconut milk work well as subs in a lot of cases.

Happy18

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 9:30 pm
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers

OutATowner

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 9:33 pm
That's crazy. I almost didn't believe it but after a brief "google" it seems to be true. I almost never use margarine or crisco, but if I want buttercream flowers for a birthday cake that's what you have to use.
Hmmm...
(by the way, Pepsi Max was banned because of one of the sweeteners, not caffeine content).

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 9:52 pm
As olive oil said--we'd all be a lot better off. Why in the world would you take the trouble to make something from scratch and then use fake ingredients? Fake food is an abomination. If a recipe calls for something milchik like butter or something fake, like the ubiquitous, iniquitous "dessert topping" aka "whip", nobody's forcing you to use it. B"H there is no dearth of dessert recipes in the world--there's no reason to get fixated on the BY cookbook. Put it on the bottom shelf for old times' sake and move on with your life. Or try the recipe subbing oil for shortening. You usually need about 1/3 LESS oil than shortening.

I've been baking with oil for decades and no one has ever complained. And I have yet to see anyone actually liking so-called "buttercream" frosting. Everyone scrapes it off and leaves it on the plate. If your cake is good, you don't need to disguise it with that glop, andf if your cake isn't good, that glop isn't going to make it taste any better.

greenfire

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 9:59 pm
are you saying we can't buy crisco anymore ?

they are most certainly not going to go back to lard ... maybe schmaltz for pesach is going to be sold year round ... ha jokes on us

oliveoil

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 9:59 pm
zaq wrote:

I've been baking with oil for decades and no one has ever complained. And I have yet to see anyone actually liking so-called "buttercream" frosting. Everyone scrapes it off and leaves it on the plate. If your cake is good, you don't need to disguise it with that glop, andf if your cake isn't good, that glop isn't going to make it taste any better.

I love this! So true!

flowerpower

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 10:02 pm
I bake and cook a lot and barely use margarine. Most cookies and many cakes work well with oil.

sequoia

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 10:03 pm
Parve dessert = fruit

greenfire

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 10:12 pm
zaq wrote:
And I have yet to see anyone actually liking so-called "buttercream" frosting. Everyone scrapes it off and leaves it on the plate. If your cake is good, you don't need to disguise it with that glop, andf if your cake isn't good, that glop isn't going to make it taste any better.

well then you haven't tasted my frosted cakes Tongue Out

The Happy Wife

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 10:13 pm
zaq wrote:
And I have yet to see anyone actually liking so-called "buttercream" frosting. Everyone scrapes it off and leaves it on the plate. If your cake is good, you don't need to disguise it with that glop, andf if your cake isn't good, that glop isn't going to make it taste any better.

I like the glop. embarrassed

Not all margarines have trans fats, though. There's still hope.

imasinger

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 10:19 pm
For the rare times when nothing else will do, Earth Balance and Smart balance brands are trans fat free. I've cooked with the pareve versions of both.

shanie5

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 10:34 pm
The Happy Wife wrote:
zaq wrote:

I like the glop. embarrassed

Me too. Though I dont like the health factor, I do like buttercream frosting.

MommytoB

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 10:45 pm
So happy to hear the news! I cannot justify the use of all those pareve things full of trans fats. I bake with olive oil when necessary. I don't love the chemicals in even non-trans fat margarine. Additionally, if you are making a frosting I have found that those margarines lead to a runnier consistency frosting. If you NEED a good thick, trans fat free frosting, there are shortenings available that are made with Palm oil or coconut oil which do the trick. They tend to be high in other fats though so make those desserts infrequently!

MamaBear

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 10:51 pm
Crisco claims to be trans fat free...

Personally, I don't bake stuff that needs all that and we live to talk about it Wink

amother

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 11:11 pm
While I use olive oil for almost all my cooking, I am a cookie baker and use Fleischman's pareve margarine for my cookies so everything is pareve. Where I live Earth Balance baking sticks are very hard to come by and VERY expensive. Nearly 2x the price of the Fleischmans. And with the quantity that I use when making cookie trays for a simcha, the price becomes prohibitive. And oil doesn't work with my fancy cookies. I still need that Fleischmans. This becomes a problem for those of us who need to keep things pareve. And coconut oil is not an option.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 11:26 pm
Oy, wht will happen to my shlach monos cookies????

and ironically I just finished eating a mini brownie bar. YUM.

yummydd

Post Fri, Nov 08 2013, 1:14 am
Btw I love Pepsi Max and buy it all the time here in NY.

Please don't tell me why it was banned, I don't wanna have to stop drinking it.....

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Nov 08 2013, 1:33 am
I only know of one margarine that is parve, and that is Nucoa. All the others are now OU-D where I live.

Of course, the easiest answer is to make dairy desserts, and eat them first! Wait a half an hour, and then have the meat meal. Wink

mc

Post Fri, Nov 08 2013, 10:21 am
I also thought Crisco now trans-fat free and their webpage says, "All Crisco shortening products now have 0g trans fat per serving.

I remember also reading on the wilton website, I think, that their buttercream recipes were adapted because the Crisco is different.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen