Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Ahh! What will become of the pareve food???
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Nov 08 2013, 11:09 am
I used trans free shortening for icing with no problem. Smart Balance used to make Crisco sized tubs at the same price. No problem.
And there's a heimish trans free margarine (yes, uses palm maybe? Not the best tradeoff but will still be legal, I'm sure) and while it doesn't soften as well it can be used like regular margarine.

As long as any new reformulations aren't milchig, I'm good.

IMHopinion

Post Fri, Nov 08 2013, 11:19 am
I never use trans fat marg.

If ever, very rarely, I make sure to purchase margarine thats trans fat free.

spinkles

Post Fri, Nov 08 2013, 3:21 pm
I've never tasted anything made with margarine that actually tasted good. So, hopefully manufacturers will modify their recipes and now store-bought baked goods will taste A WHOLE LOT BETTER!

mille

Post Fri, Nov 08 2013, 4:24 pm
Awesome. Fleishmann's in particular is SUPER bad for you and full of trans fat. I rarely use margarine as well, but I buy earth balance when I do. No trans fat/hydrogenated oils!

Coconut cream will be a good substitute other than non-trans fat margarine. Also, for cookies that you don't mind a bit more on the crispy side, light tasting olive oil (or other oil). Life will go on, and we'll all be a little healthier for it Smile

Tamiri

Post Sat, Nov 09 2013, 11:00 am
I stopped using margarine over 8 years ago. And yeah, there are some "special" recipes that I never made again (I kept them in the hopes of a miracle healthy alternative to margarine being discovered). The funny thing is - we survived!

mandksima

Post Sat, Nov 09 2013, 12:05 pm
I will not use margarine or crisco in any of my cakes or cookies and they still come out really good. I made a marshmallow frosting with egg whites (cooked) and sugar which was delicious (according to everyone who tried them.) Chocolate genache frosting doesn't use margarine. There are plenty of healthier alternatives. I also can taste margaine in other people's desserts and I can't swallow them. Artificial vanilla is also extremely fake tasting and is equally a baking disaster IMO.

In cookies, you usually can't taste the margarine but oil works just fine as well, like others said, just use a little less in a recipe. Sorry to say, refined oils like canola and soy are really very bad for you and are not necessarily a healthier option. I use them when baking for others but in no way will I trick myself into thinking they are healthy. I just can't afford coconut oil for everybody. My Paleo desserts are actually pretty good and they use coconut oil and coconut milk/cream usually. You be surprised how much my kids love these desserts. Certain fats are really good for you and should be added into everyone's diets, it is such a shame that margarine was ever created and real butter got shoved away. We'd all be a little healthier if eating like before the world started to change food's composition chemically.

Marion

Post Sat, Nov 09 2013, 12:57 pm
oliveoil wrote:
We'll all be a lot better off!

And coconut oil, and coconut milk work well as subs in a lot of cases.

Yeah sure, at 3-4x the price...

cinnamon

Post Sat, Nov 09 2013, 2:44 pm
Doesn't anybody find it strange that they are oulawing trans fat but ciggarets are still perfectly legal?

Raisin

Post Sat, Nov 09 2013, 5:51 pm
Even though I use margerine in certain cookie and brownie recipes I don't think it would bother me much if I had to use oil instead. Sure the texture might change a bit but so what? I'm sure they will still taste (too) delicious.

And hopefully frum companies will develop healthy versions of pareve cream for those who feel the need to use them.

btw - you can use butter in buttercream for birthday cakes. Unless it specifically has to be pareve.

Barbara

Post Sat, Nov 09 2013, 5:56 pm
mandksima wrote:
I will not use margarine or crisco in any of my cakes or cookies and they still come out really good. I made a marshmallow frosting with egg whites (cooked) and sugar which was delicious (according to everyone who tried them.) Chocolate genache frosting doesn't use margarine. There are plenty of healthier alternatives. I also can taste margaine in other people's desserts and I can't swallow them. Artificial vanilla is also extremely fake tasting and is equally a baking disaster IMO.

In cookies, you usually can't taste the margarine but oil works just fine as well, like others said, just use a little less in a recipe. Sorry to say, refined oils like canola and soy are really very bad for you and are not necessarily a healthier option. I use them when baking for others but in no way will I trick myself into thinking they are healthy. I just can't afford coconut oil for everybody. My Paleo desserts are actually pretty good and they use coconut oil and coconut milk/cream usually. You be surprised how much my kids love these desserts. Certain fats are really good for you and should be added into everyone's diets, it is such a shame that margarine was ever created and real butter got shoved away. We'd all be a little healthier if eating like before the world started to change food's composition chemically.

Just curious. Can you taste the unrefined coconut oil? I know people say that they can't, and I don't have a particularly sensitive nose or palate, but I can definitely taste and smell it.

Raisin

Post Sat, Nov 09 2013, 6:01 pm
to add - I always substitute oil, pref olive oil in recipes where I think it will not make a difference. cakes, soups, etc. No one complains!

Happy18

Post Sat, Nov 09 2013, 6:08 pm
cinnamon wrote:
Doesn't anybody find it strange that they are oulawing trans fat but ciggarets are still perfectly legal?

I wish it was.

princessleah

Post Sat, Nov 09 2013, 7:46 pm
Easiest pareve dessert: meringue cookies. whip egg whites, dump in sugar, flavor with whatever you like-- chocolate chips, shavings, lemon zest, vanilla. Bake at 200 degrees for 2 hours.

Or: use chicken fat like in the alter heim. If it has to be pareve you're serving it after a fleishig meal, right?

Ema of 5

Post Sat, Nov 09 2013, 8:15 pm
princessleah wrote:
Easiest pareve dessert: meringue cookies. whip egg whites, dump in sugar, flavor with whatever you like-- chocolate chips, shavings, lemon zest, vanilla. Bake at 200 degrees for 2 hours.

Or: use chicken fat like in the alter heim. If it has to be pareve you're serving it after a fleishig meal, right?

Or someone is allergic to dairy....

Fabulous

Post Sat, Nov 09 2013, 8:27 pm
Barbara wrote:
mandksima wrote:

Just curious. Can you taste the unrefined coconut oil? I know people say that they can't, and I don't have a particularly sensitive nose or palate, but I can definitely taste and smell it.

I reallllly don't like coconut. I started buying healthy cookies from someone and after the first bite I asked if there was coconut. Only coconut oil and I could definitely taste it. I got used to it but the taste is definitely there.

proud mama

Post Sat, Nov 09 2013, 11:02 pm
To those of you who were wondering Grain Brain coconut oil does not have a coconut taste at all. I use that for cooking/baking it had no taste and is a super clear oil.

September June

Post Sat, Nov 09 2013, 11:19 pm
cinnamon wrote:

I don't really care. People who choose to smoke know the dangers involved, it's written on the package.

If every food containing trans fat had a warning on it: May lead to heart disease and cause early death and were only allowed to be sold to adults, I would be ok with it remaining on the shelves. There is no health warning and they're in many processed foods. Currently someone has to read labels carefully to avoid foods with trans-fats. They're everywhere in many foods (not just locked up in a glass case behind a counter) and available to everyone not just adults.

busydev

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 12:01 am
ummmm..... second hand smoking... happens to all those who cant or dont buy cigarettes and is just as bad.

imamiri

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 12:12 am
busydev wrote:
ummmm..... second hand smoking... happens to all those who cant or dont buy cigarettes and is just as bad.

They should treat trans fats like cigarettes then? Charge a HUGE tax and make it a crime to give them to children.

Want parve dessert? Try fruit.

September June

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 12:19 am
busydev wrote:

Because of second hand smoking, smoking is no longer permitted in public places. Unless one has a close friend/relative that smokes, it isn't that hard to avoid being exposed to a lot of second hand smoke.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen