Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Ahh! What will become of the pareve food???
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

MaBelleVie

Post Sat, Nov 09 2013, 9:20 pm
September June wrote:
busydev wrote:
ummmm..... second hand smoking... happens to all those who cant or dont buy cigarettes and is just as bad.

Because of second hand smoking, smoking is no longer permitted in public places. Unless one has a close friend/relative that smokes, it isn't that hard to avoid being exposed to a lot of second hand smoke.

Not everywhere Smile

September June

Post Sat, Nov 09 2013, 9:23 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
September June wrote:
busydev wrote:
ummmm..... second hand smoking... happens to all those who cant or dont buy cigarettes and is just as bad.

Because of second hand smoking, smoking is no longer permitted in public places. Unless one has a close friend/relative that smokes, it isn't that hard to avoid being exposed to a lot of second hand smoke.

Not everywhere Smile

Gosh. That's awful!

The only places I've seen a lot of smoking is outside trief restaurants on the beach.

mandksima

Post Sat, Nov 09 2013, 10:18 pm
Regarding coconut oil smell and taste, it is still better to use an expeller pressed coconut oil which is slightly refined (it is not done chemically so nothing is altered and dangerous) than to use other commercial oils like canola and soy. You still get some benefits although not all and some brands claim there is no smell and taste. Amazon says Wilderness Family Naturals brand is like that but I can't see the picture to see if there is a hechsher or not. I assume it needs a hechsher once refined.

I happen to like the taste in baked goods/desserts but not as much in regular stir fry. I would like to get my hands on a jar of expeller pressed here for cooking purposes but have not seen it around. I could order it online perhaps.

DrMom

Post Sat, Nov 09 2013, 10:26 pm
I usually skip dessert if the meal is not halavi. The mere thought of ingesting congealed parve grease makes me queasy. Pass the fruit.

tsiggelle

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 4:42 am
DrMom wrote:
I usually skip dessert if the meal is not halavi. The mere thought of ingesting congealed parve grease makes me queasy. Pass the fruit.

Come to me for shabbos. Fruit is our dessert.

Re: smoking, is second hand smoking in the street ok?

theoneandonly

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 5:22 am
September June wrote:
busydev wrote:

Or if you live in an apartment building and your downstairs neighbor smokes out his windowlll Mad

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 5:29 am
A good cook can make parve desserts to be delish.
That said parve desserts always existed and you can just use a traditional cookbook that won't require for all the mayo, MSG soup mix and whatever I hear of online!

nylon

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 6:48 am
I prefer to make naturally pareve desserts--there are things that are always dairy free. I grew up eating butter and do not like the heavy handed use of margarine.

You might find a crust made with margarine or shortening in my house (I prefer the texture to an oil based crust) but not pareve buttercream. I make sponge based and chiffon cakes, with glazes rather than thick frosting. If my kids want a fancy birthday cake, dinner is dairy so I can make real buttercream.

I do have Earth Balance. BTW apparently it can say "trans fat free" but still have a very small amount of trans fats in there. I also don't love the taste of coconut.

greenhelm

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 6:59 am
DrMom wrote:

Can I have yours, then? Very Happy

dee's mommy

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 8:10 am
I haven't been following this post carefully, but you can just sprinkle powdered sugar on your cakes, or mix water with icing sugar and drizzle.

Marion

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 9:25 am
Raisin wrote:
Even though I use margerine in certain cookie and brownie recipes I don't think it would bother me much if I had to use oil instead. Sure the texture might change a bit but so what? I'm sure they will still taste (too) delicious.

And hopefully frum companies will develop healthy versions of pareve cream for those who feel the need to use them.

btw - you can use butter in buttercream for birthday cakes. Unless it specifically has to be pareve.

I don't bake dairy, except cheesecake for Shavuot. Basically when I bake I do so in batches and I don't want to have to remember what is dairy and what is not. People have allergies or I take something somewhere for dessert...I don't want to have to worry about what's being served and will it be OK with what I'm bringing.

Not to mention, I HATE the taste of butter in buttercream...

Long live margarine. (Don't eat it if you don't like it.)

nylon

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 10:18 am
Unless, of course, they have a soy allergy or intolerance.

I wince sometimes when I read "I served it and no one knew it was pareve"--PLEASE tell me it is pareve. Soy is a less common problem than dairy but it's out there. I am ok with margarine in limited amounts, but I cannot eat Tofutti.

smss

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 12:10 pm
nylon wrote:

I wince sometimes when I read "I served it and no one knew it was pareve"--PLEASE tell me it is pareve. Soy is a less common problem than dairy but it's out there. I am ok with margarine in limited amounts, but I cannot eat Tofutti.

I think someone with an allergy really has to ask. there are so many allergies out there these days, are people really supposed to go through the recipes of every food on their shabbos table?

Raisin

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 2:08 pm
smss wrote:
nylon wrote:

I think someone with an allergy really has to ask. there are so many allergies out there these days, are people really supposed to go through the recipes of every food on their shabbos table?

yes, I would hope my guests will tell me about any allergies they have so I can advise them which foods they should avoid.

nylon

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 8:16 pm
absolutely I ask. It's something I'm sensitive about though with a lot of the comments I see about pareve food--that pareve is "safe". Not long ago, though, I would have assumed that if it looks like cheesecake, it's cheesecake, and that someone isn't doing "I can't believe it's not butter." There have been threads right here on imamother where someone serves a pareve cheesecake and says no one knew.

zaq

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 9:40 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
September June wrote:
busydev wrote:

Not everywhere Smile

I'll say. Smoking is prohibited in the bldg where I work, so all the smokers hang out on the street in front of the block-long building. The only time I can breathe is coming in in in the morning, which is before most of the smokers have arrived. However, sometimes even that isn't a certainty. Some folks come in early to smoke outside before their shift begins, and some night-shift personnel are still there when I start.

zaq

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 9:46 pm
nylon wrote:
absolutely I ask. It's something I'm sensitive about though with a lot of the comments I see about pareve food--that pareve is "safe". Not long ago, though, I would have assumed that if it looks like cheesecake, it's cheesecake, and that someone isn't doing "I can't believe it's not butter." There have been threads right here on imamother where someone serves a pareve cheesecake and says no one knew.

A considerate hostess asks, but it's the responsibility of the guest to inform the hostess if she doesn't remember to ask. Look, no hostess wants to serve food her guests won't eat, and while some allergies or sensitivities are more prevalent than others, there's hardly anything that someone, somewhere, won't be allergic to.

mandksima

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 1:16 am
I ALWAYS ask before guests come if they have any allergies or extreme dislikes of certain foods. Especially because I use a wide variety of ingredients and sticking in vegetables in dishes that you can't see. If someone is allergic to coconut, it can be bad because I use coconut sugar, flour, oil and flakes often. I need to know ahead of time so I can make some plain food. I use nuts here and there. I don't use soy but I could buy a ready made spread that contains soy oil if guests come. I don't mind cooking for any diet but when a guest doesn't tell me they are vegan or something like that beforehand, it makes me nuts.

Raisin

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 1:48 am
I've had guests who are allergic to pineapple, banana, kiwi, peppers, as well as the regular stuff like dairy/nuts/eggs etc.

yomomf

Post Tue, Nov 12 2013, 2:02 am
September June wrote:
busydev wrote:

Unless you walk down the street!
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen