Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Is American Girl Dolls overrated
1  2  3  Next

UQT

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 11:49 pm
I'm thinking of getting my 7 year old an American Girl Doll for Chanukah. Since it's quite an investment, I'm wondering if anyone spent the money and then found it sitting in the closet a week later - or is something that the kids really play with?

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 11:52 pm
Depends on the child... If she enjoys playing with dolls, no reason she wouldn't like this one. You can also get the knockoff version at target for a lot cheaper, if quality isn't a major concern.

DrMom

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 11:53 pm
I think $100 for a doll is nuts.

Then again, I never was much of a doll person when I was a girl.

sequoia

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 11:53 pm
It's a long-term investment.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 11:55 pm
sequoia wrote:
It's a long-term investment.

Yeah. In my family they've been passed down to the second generation already.

ROFL

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 11:58 pm
Never bought one for my dd , what would happen if your dd would decide to give a one hundred dollar doll a haircut , or if she wanted the doll to wear makeup and she used her magic markers to put blue on her eyes?

spring13

Post Fri, Nov 08 2013, 12:11 am
If she already knows about them and is interested, then yeah, it's a good investment. She'll get that this isn't just any old Barbie to play beauty shop with. That's also something you can discuss with her.

They're sturdier than cheap Walmart dolls, definitely well made. And the books that relate to the historical characters are really excellent, having the doll in conjunction with those makes having one a whole experience, it becomes more than just a toy. If someone says its too much money, I totally get it - but I for one really treasured my AG doll, and look forward to when my kids are old enough to appreciate having her. It will be over 20 years old and still in amazing condition.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Nov 08 2013, 1:42 am
I prefer the "Our Generation" dolls from Target, and the dolls have cuter faces too.

American Girl is all about the brand name, the over priced accessories, and the big store. What you're paying for is a lot of advertizing hype that encourages consumerism. As for clothes, with a few exceptions most of the outfits are not tznius, and SO expensive. I don't pay that much for my own clothes!

I think that the book series for all the AG characters are very good, EXCEPT the "Rebecca" series with the Jewish girl. I was appalled at how they talk about the father working on Shabbos, even when he knew better. The writer goes out of her way to justify it, and even make it a mitzvah. It talks about how assimilation = patriotism, and the American Way. If you're Reform, it's a nice story, but there is nothing in there that a frum girl should be reading.

Last edited by FranticFrummie on Fri, Nov 08 2013, 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Fri, Nov 08 2013, 1:43 am
ROFL wrote:
Never bought one for my dd , what would happen if your dd would decide to give a one hundred dollar doll a haircut , or if she wanted the doll to wear makeup and she used her magic markers to put blue on her eyes?

American Girl had a doll hospital where you send your doll to to it and it comes back looking like a brand new doll

amother

Post Fri, Nov 08 2013, 1:43 am
ROFL wrote:

American Girl had a doll hospital where you send your doll to to it and it comes back looking like a brand new doll

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Nov 08 2013, 1:45 am
amother wrote:
ROFL wrote:

Yes, but not only do you have to take it there and pick it up, it will cost you an arm and a leg, just to fix an arm!

singleagain

Post Fri, Nov 08 2013, 1:45 am
amother wrote:
ROFL wrote:

And how much does that service cost?

Learning

Post Fri, Nov 08 2013, 1:46 am
The only reason I got it for dd is because she played with friends together with their American dolls. Otherwise I think it doesn't worth it. After you will buy the doll she will ask for al the accessories and the clothes which adds up to much much more than the doll itself.

smiledr

Post Fri, Nov 08 2013, 8:45 am
The dolls are amazing quality and beautiful. My older daughter has one and we just bought one for my second daughter. It's nice if you can afford it but I wouldn't go into debt buying one- it's not just the fill and the books but the stand and the brush and clothing etc...

amother

Post Fri, Nov 08 2013, 9:17 am
My daughter has a Madame Alexander doll of the same size (much cheaper bought at a discount store, sometimes Tuesday Morning has them...)
Its hair is not the same, it is not really brushable or stylable, it is a mess even though she treated her well, and her head broke and wobbles. My daughter doesn't ask for American Girl dolls anymore but I know she would love one. She is 9 already

amother

Post Fri, Nov 08 2013, 10:11 am
The accessories and clothing always goes on sale. That stuff you d

Cookies n Cream

Post Fri, Nov 08 2013, 10:13 am
My daughter has the twenty dollar one from Toys4U and my sister has an American Girl Doll. I don't see a difference in quality but I'm not really such a maven..

Simple1

Post Fri, Nov 08 2013, 10:19 am
I got cheaper dolls from Pharmex in Lakewood - I don't know what company. They are decent quality, come with a cute outfit and the hair didn't tangle. I once bought a doll from Target and the hair got ruined very quickly.

Last edited by Simple1 on Fri, Nov 08 2013, 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Fri, Nov 08 2013, 10:22 am
My dd is ten now and has a huge collection already we started buying when she was three.

She plays with her friends this a whole Shabbos afternoon. It keeps them busy for hours. The thing is for your daughter to really play with it you need to have enough dolls and clothing for all her friends or her friends have to have their own dolls and clothing. If you get her just the doll and no friend has one then how can she play with a friend?

Also you can buy cheaper clothing and accessories from other stores and just buy the American girl doll.

Cookies n Cream

Post Fri, Nov 08 2013, 10:26 am
amother wrote:
My dd is ten now and has a huge collection already we started buying when she was three.

She plays with her friends this a whole Shabbos afternoon. It keeps them busy for hours. The thing is for your daughter to really play with it you need to have enough dolls and clothing for all her friends or her friends have to have their own dolls and clothing. If you get her just the doll and no friend has one then how can she play with a friend?

Also you can buy cheaper clothing and accessories from other stores and just buy the American girl doll.

But what's the difference if the doll is an American Girl Doll or the local toy store doll? Why does the American Girl doll keep them busier?
Especially if you're buying the accessories somewhere else...
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics