Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Is American Girl Dolls overrated
Previous  1  2  3  Next

flowerpower

Post Fri, Nov 08 2013, 10:29 am
I got my dd an american girl doll because I wanted one. Yeah, you heard me.... I love them and I get clothes and accesories when they're on sale.

Cookies n Cream

Post Fri, Nov 08 2013, 10:33 am
flowerpower wrote:
I got my dd an american girl doll because I wanted one. Yeah, you heard me.... I love them and I get clothes and accesories when they're on sale.

Ya, why do you think that my kids have so many Mitzvah Kinder. ..because the mother prefers playing with Mitzvah Kinder over American Girls...Smile

amother

Post Fri, Nov 08 2013, 11:20 am
Cookies n Cream wrote:
amother wrote:
My dd is ten now and has a huge collection already we started buying when she was three.

She plays with her friends this a whole Shabbos afternoon. It keeps them busy for hours. The thing is for your daughter to really play with it you need to have enough dolls and clothing for all her friends or her friends have to have their own dolls and clothing. If you get her just the doll and no friend has one then how can she play with a friend?

Also you can buy cheaper clothing and accessories from other stores and just buy the American girl doll.

But what's the difference if the doll is an American Girl Doll or the local toy store doll? Why does the American Girl doll keep them busier?
Especially if you're buying the accessories somewhere else...

I personally only have American girl accessories, clothing and furniture. My American girl collection is worth well over $5,000. I was giving advice if your child bedafka wants an American girl doll then maybe you can cut corners elsewhere or maybe not.

There is a reason why I have the whole neighborhood over every Shabbos afternoon.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Nov 08 2013, 11:28 am
UQT wrote:
I'm thinking of getting my 7 year old an American Girl Doll for Chanukah. Since it's quite an investment, I'm wondering if anyone spent the money and then found it sitting in the closet a week later - or is something that the kids really play with?

I don't know about the American Girl doll, but if it helps.....I bought my DD the Bitty Twins as a gift, when she became a big sister just before her 7th birthday. I bought them 2nd hand on ebay, and they were in PERFECT condition.

It was a wonderful gift, and she and her friends enjoyed hours of amusement. I bought some acessories from Target, and some on ebay, for her b-day, for Chanuka, etc...so she had quite a collection.

Compared to imitation brands (Target, Walmart) the quality of the hair was definitely superior. They really lasted beautifully and the hair combed out nicely, time after time.

My youngest DD is the creative sort, though....and it did not stand up to scissors, scribbling, playdough (in the eyes and crevices)....so she mutilated them to the point that we had to throw them out.

Moral of the story: Do not buy for a young child. I would say not for under age 5.

Simple1

Post Fri, Nov 08 2013, 11:35 am
Chayalle wrote:

Compared to imitation brands (Target, Walmart) the quality of the hair was definitely superior. They really lasted beautifully and the hair combed out nicely, time after time.

The Pharmex (Lakewood) dolls were way better quality than the Target one I bought. I did buy the Target one a lot of years ago, so I can't say if they've changed since. I also have the bitty twins, and the Pharmex ones seems like a very decent alternative for the price. The hair stayed very nice and it's been over 6 months since we bought them.

black sheep

Post Fri, Nov 08 2013, 11:36 am
I bought my daughter an American girl doll when she was 6. I agree with chayalle that it is not meant for very young girls, they should be at least 5 or 6. my daughter had gotten two other imitation American girl dolls from family as gifts, and they did not last long at all. her American girl doll is in perfect condition almost three years later. her friends have their own, so they bring their dolls and play with them together.

I would not say it isn't overpriced, it certainly is. it is a splurge that makes sense under the following conditions:
1. your daughter is over 5
2. her friends have them too (this way she will use it a lot)
3. you can afford the splurge

amother

Post Fri, Nov 08 2013, 11:47 am
Do the clothes and accessories really go on sale? Is it online or also in the store? Also my daughter has her doll less than a year and the hair is horrible already. How long is it supposed to last?

sara123456

Post Fri, Nov 08 2013, 11:54 am
amother wrote:
Do the clothes and accessories really go on sale? Is it online or also in the store? Also my daughter has her doll less than a year and the hair is horrible already. How long is it supposed to last?

I was there this week and nothing was on sale. They did have a promotion though that if you spend $50 or more you get a cape and headband for $10 dollars. They are mighty expensive and you're definitely paying for the name.,I won mine at a party and I admit it's really addictive. They have adorable accessories and the clothes fit beautifully!

greenfire

Post Fri, Nov 08 2013, 11:56 am
you have to upkeep the doll by brushing her hair gently every so often - otherwise it's going to turn into a rat nest ...

the older dolls were a lot nicer - the newer ones a tad more skinny and faces are a bit different as well ... I wonder if the same clothes fit ... probably

also, it cannot be dragged around like an ordinary doll - it must be treated with respect

it is a nice keepsake Lady

Fox

Post Fri, Nov 08 2013, 12:55 pm
I'm usually the one urging everyone to scale back their lifestyles, so I'm going to surprise everyone on this topic.

I did not buy American Girl dolls for my DDs, and I very much regret it.

Yes, they are ridiculously overpriced. Yes, they are definitely meant for slightly older girls -- not the toddler set. Yes, a lot of the appropriateness depends on the individual girl. If a girl really doesn't have an affinity for dolls, then it's probably not such a great idea.

All that said, the whole "American Girl Doll" experience is almost a milestone for many girls. Receiving an American Girl Doll is an affirmation of their identification as nurturers. The fact that it's crazily priced is actually part of the cultural affirmation. It says, "We put a lot of value on your development as a nurturer and/or mother."

For girls in the secular world, this is a huge thing. It's a way for their families to say, "We value the unique abilities that women contribute -- we believe women are more than simply doctors, lawyers, and Indian chiefs who happen to be capable of giving birth in their spare time."

In traditional Jewish culture, this is not quite such a radical concept, but it's still one that girls need to hear.

I realize that's a lot of rhetorical analysis and over-thinking, so feel free to roll your eyes.

Personally, I have told my DDs that when they have daughters, IY"H, I am taking the kit and caboodle for a day at the American Girl Doll store. Will I buy every ridiculously-priced item that's offered? Of course not! But I want my granddaughters to hear the message loud and clear that I believe they have innate abilities to be nurturers and that I value those abilities, no matter what else they might do for parnosseh, intellectual stimulation, etc.

In addition to checking for clothes and accessories online and on sale, check out
Nancy's Notions. Although this is a sewing website, they also sell all kinds of great accessories for 18" dolls, including tights, shoes, t-shirts, skirts, etc. Thy also sell patterns to make clothes, so if you have a Bubby in the family who can sew, this is the perfect little project -- quick, simple, and cheap.

So if you think your DD is old enough to care for an expensive doll and would appreciate it, go for it! Don't go into debt, but if it's possible to cut back on other expenses, I think an American Girl Doll is actually a great investment in the future.

amother

Post Fri, Nov 08 2013, 1:10 pm
My MIL has been wanting to buy these for my dds for 2 years now. I keep begging her to save her money. I think it's a ridiculous amount of money to spend on a doll, considering my girls will absolutely destroy it (think dreadlocks, crayon "make-up" etc.,). If someone is buying it for an older child who will respect it or for someone who views it as a collector item and/or investment, that's another story.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 6:03 am
No idea what it really is, doesn't seem like something I would buy.

imasinger

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 6:21 am
My DD got one from her friends for her 7th birthday. It was the one thing she wanted, and they all chipped in together to get it for her. She (and I) were so surprised! But that was 15 years ago, and the prices and accessories were not as outrageous.

My MIL wanted to get one for my YDD when she was two. I put my foot down and said no way. She (MIL) was nifteret a couple of years later. We miss her, but I don't regret the decision about the doll for one second. YDD was more interested in stuffed animals than dolls.

etky

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 9:05 am
My eldest DD first discovered American Girl through her American cousins and was instantly hooked even though here in Israel it is, naturally, a virtually unknown phenomenon. After holding out for quite a while because of the price, we chipped in with DH's parents in the States and purchased one for her 10th birthday. She chose Josephina. She was very into the books and managed to acquire the entire series as well as those of many of the other historical characters. She learned an incredible amount of historical and cultural information from the books and spent countless hours playing with the doll and the accessories (she even found a couple of girls in the neighborhood who also had dolls). For her 11th birthday we ordered her a coffee-table style book called "Josephina's World" that went into tremendous detail about all aspects of life on the pueblo in New Mexico. Another year we ordered her a theater kit with characters from the Josephina series. Her younger DD has followed in her footsteps and has been the happy beneficiary of her sister's interest. She inherited Josephina (who had in the meantime been to the AG hospital and back for a broken arm due to a friend's rough handling of her) as well as Samantha from her American cousin. She is a bit too old now for the dolls but the girls have a tradition that every Friday night after dinner my older DD reads aloud one of the books to her younger sister (who, at 12 1/2 still loves to be read to). I honestly don't know which sister enjoys it more.
I don't think the quality of the doll is the issue here. I think that some girls are just fascinated by the whole idea of the story behind the doll and it really fires their imagination. The stories are pretty formulaic but the message is a very wholesome one and there is so much history and sociological information to be gleaned from the books. If your DD is inquisitive that way and also likes to play with dolls it is definitely a worthwhile investment.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 9:11 am
My daughter hasn't touched one of her dolls (and she has many! some inherited from me or my mom !, some new ones, some Barbies, some classic, some girls, some boys, some black, some white, you get it) since I had her brother. She prefers to dress up a "doll" that bites, apparently LOL

I think any nice doll says we value your nurturing side.

chocolate chips

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 9:14 am
I don't know if I would spend so much money on a doll unless I saw my daughter was really into dressing them etc.
Thing is I personally think by the time they are old enough to appreciate it they grow out of them so quickly. Unless they are really into it.
Then again, that store is awesome (I have to admit I have been in there a few times alone, I have no daughters lol) and if I do get one I would buy EVERYTHING!!!

smss

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 9:16 am
I spent my birthday money on an AG doll one year- I think I was 8 or so. I did play with it for a while, was really into it, read all the books and everything, but looking back, wow, I can't believe I spent $100 on a doll!

Raisin

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 9:35 am
all I can say is, their marketing must be extraordinary if fox is sold on them.

Lady Godiva

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 9:52 am
They're most definitely not a necessity, but a nice luxury.
I got one for my daughter for her 8th (I think) birthday, and it's been quite a few years and she still loves it. She got another one from a relative. They look pretty on her dresser.
Like other luxuries in life, if you can afford it and your daughter really wants one, why not get it? If it will be cutting into your grocery money, please don't buy it.

Chloe

Post Sun, Nov 10 2013, 10:10 am
Raisin wrote:
all I can say is, their marketing must be extraordinary if fox is sold on them.

Smile Smile Smile
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics