Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
PLEASE PUT IN YOUR '2 CENTS'.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 9:37 am
I was wondering how collecting money for gifts works. We are getting our sil a gift. The amount divided among each of us would total something like $10.73. Now here's my question: do you go around asking everyone for ten dollars and 'seventy three cents'?? If you say you round it up to 75 cents than I think it's just as silly. Or do you round it up to $11?? Or down to $10. Come to think of it, 73 cents plus plus plus adds up!

Or say it's $10.52 what would you ask for?

Is rounding up 'like stealing' ?? If I went through the bother to go out and buy gift, wrap it, collect money, can't I ask a nominal fee for it? (as in rounding to next dollar) lol

Thanks

Sanguine

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 9:40 am
tell everyone 11 - add it up and put the change in Tzedaka

amother

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 9:44 am
Sanguine wrote:

OP HERE: Thanks! I was going to ask if I put in tzedaka is ok. Forgot to mention it though.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 11:07 am
amother wrote:
Sanguine wrote:

OP HERE: Thanks! I was going to ask if I put in tzedaka is ok. Forgot to mention it though.

If I were to do this, I'd just tell everyone that I rounded up and change will go to tzedeka. otherwise, I'd tell them exact amount and let them do what they want.

chocolate chips

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 11:16 am
Yup we round it up and put the extras in tzedakah

amother

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 11:22 am
AND IF ITS $10.25 DO YOU ROUND IT 'DOWN'?

greenfire

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 11:37 am
I'm ocd and can add numbers ... people think it's because I'm stingy ... but if you owe me $10.52 that's the amount I want ... likewise if I owe you $10.73 that's the amount you're going to get ... including the 3 pennies

when I can take hold of the ocd or in order not to drive someone meshuga I round it up - or sometimes they round it down ... it annoys me but I try to deal

also I do consider since you're the one who went shopping if you round it up - for the remainder to pay for gas & time ... you know similar to those mysterious 'shipping & handling' fees

m+m

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 11:42 am
Tell them $10.52. Some will pay you $10.50, while others will pay 10.55 or $10.75.

bubbebia

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 11:44 am
I would probably tell people exactly what their share would be and let them decide what to do about it. In this situation I would give the person the $11 and tell her to put the rest in a pushke. Give people the option. That way no one feels taken advantage of or cheated.

imasinger

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 11:57 am
I would say, "If we split it evenly, it's 10.52 each. . If you want to give me 11, I'll either give you change, or put the rest in tzedaka".

That way, it's their choice.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 12:03 pm
When you got to your final price did you remember to include tax? The extra .48 can help with that (in the example where everyone pays $10.52)

Also you can use the extra $ to buy a nice card.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 14 2013, 9:47 pm
Some think asking for every cent is stingy. But c'mon why should you be the one to pay all those cents!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics