Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Question about Nursing school pre-requisites

amother

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 11:21 am
I am thinking of going to nursing school, I have my Bachelors degree already (so I'm gona do a second degree BSN program) but I would have to take all the nursing pre-requisites. I'm so confused, how do you figure out which classes to take? Many schools require different pre-requisites but I don't know which school I am going to get into so how do I know which classes to take??? I'm in the NY/Monsey/North Jersey area. Thanks in advance.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 11:25 am
You need to pick one or two schools that you want to attend and take those pre-requisites. I went back to be a nurse after already having a BA. I chose Bergen Community college because it is 6 minutes form my house and it is cheap. It is also uber-competitive to get in. However, you should get your BSN and skip the associates. That was my mistake.

Cookies n Cream

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 11:26 am
You have your transcripts sent to the school of your choice. They'll compare the classes you've taken to their required classes and see what you're missing.

Btw, none of the nursing schools that I know of (Beth Israel, Touro, Adelphi) require prereqs.
You need to find out whether they will allow you to transfer your courses. Chances are, they won't .

amother

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 11:30 am
Cookies n Cream wrote:
You have your transcripts sent to the school of your choice. They'll compare the classes you've taken to their required classes and see what you're missing.

Btw, none of the nursing schools that I know of (Beth Israel, Touro, Adelphi) require prereqs.
You need to find out whether they will allow you to transfer your courses. Chances are, they won't .

Ok so I can do that and have the school tell me which courses to take but what if at the end of all that, they don't accept me? Meaning, how do I know for certain that me taking the courses they tell me to take will guarantee my acceptance there? That's what I'm confused about.

As far as the schools you mentioned, are those Associate degree programs or second degree BSN programs? I thought all second degree BSN programs require pre-reqs?

Are you a nurse btw?

amother

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 11:34 am
amother wrote:
You need to pick one or two schools that you want to attend and take those pre-requisites. I went back to be a nurse after already having a BA. I chose Bergen Community college because it is 6 minutes form my house and it is cheap. It is also uber-competitive to get in. However, you should get your BSN and skip the associates. That was my mistake.

I guess I'll have to do that and just hope one or both of those schools accept me. My problem is that I have a very low GPA on my first Bachelor's degree so I have to do really well on my pre-requisites so that I have a better chance of acceptance (which I do plan to work really hard and do well). I am going to get my BSN, not worth it for me to get my associates when I already have a BA and hospitals apparently don't even look at you if you don't have a BSN anymore (from what I hear). Does Bergen County have a BSN second degree program or an associates program? Would you recommend it?

amother

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 11:56 am
There are school in Bergen County, but they are all private I believe which means $$$. There is William Paterson U, Ramapo, Fairleigh Dickenson maybe.

You are correct that a BSN is required for most RN jobs these days.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 12:04 pm
OP here, are there any programs that offer scholarships for Moms going back to school?

Cookies n Cream

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 12:29 pm
amother wrote:
Cookies n Cream wrote:

Ok so I can do that and have the school tell me which courses to take but what if at the end of all that, they don't accept me? Meaning, how do I know for certain that me taking the courses they tell me to take will guarantee my acceptance there? That's what I'm confused about.

As far as the schools you mentioned, are those Associate degree programs or second degree BSN programs? I thought all second degree BSN programs require pre-reqs?

Are you a nurse btw?

Beth Israel and Adelphi are BSN and Touro is Associate.
I'm not a nurse but I've done my research om nursing schools a few years ago so it's very possible that my research is not updated.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 1:16 pm
There are not special scholarships for a mother going back to school - just the usual scholarships, so be sure to look into those. I went back to school with 4 children ages 2-5 when I started.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 1:20 pm
amother wrote:
There are not special scholarships for a mother going back to school - just the usual scholarships, so be sure to look into those. I went back to school with 4 children ages 2-5 when I started.

OP here, where can I find out about those?

amother

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 1:30 pm
Schools usually have their own scholarships, or you can use Google

MommyZ

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 2:39 pm
Cookies n Cream wrote:
amother wrote:
Cookies n Cream wrote:

Are you a nurse btw?

Beth Israel and Adelphi are BSN and Touro is Associate.
I'm not a nurse but I've done my research om nursing schools a few years ago so it's very possible that my research is not updated.

Welcome to Phillips Beth Israel School of Nursing located in the Chelsea section of Manhattan. We are delighted that you are considering or have already chosen our School to pursue your Associate’s Degree in Nursing.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 2:42 pm
MommyZ wrote:

Welcome to Phillips Beth Israel School of Nursing located in the Chelsea section of Manhattan. We are delighted that you are considering or have already chosen our School to pursue your Associate’s Degree in Nursing.

OP here- huh???

MommyZ

Post Tue, Nov 19 2013, 10:45 pm
amother wrote:
MommyZ wrote:

OP here- huh???

Just saying that Beth Israel is an AAS-RN not a BSN.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 20 2013, 1:27 pm
MommyZ wrote:
amother wrote:
MommyZ wrote:

OP here- huh???

Just saying that Beth Israel is an AAS-RN not a BSN.

OP here, oh ok.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics