Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Kashering the Oven
1  2  Next

Do you or don't you?
Kasher oven  
 68%  [ 24 ]
Have regular-size Pesach oven  
 11%  [ 4 ]
Use mini pesach oven  
 20%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 35

cl

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 11:45 am
We have been told we cant kasher our oven for pesach:(
we dont have space to borrow / buy a regular-size special one 4 pesach so I will be using a counter-top mini-oven to cook 10 meals for 7adults... aaaarrrgggghhhhh... im panicking...

brooklyn

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 11:50 am
Clean it well with ezoff, then self clean mode.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 11:55 am
Not everyone kashers their oven. There were years I didn't - you don't have to bake so that's something less to do.

Marion

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 11:56 am
We have a "toaster", but we're kashering the oven this year too. I made it fleishig by accident, and need to make it pareve again.

BlumaG

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 1:11 pm
ur oven doesn't have a self clean mode?
otherwise is there a relative u cud go to to get some cooking done b4 yom tov?

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 1:13 pm
The koolest invention - have a self-clean run it through a cycle - clean and scrub it - run through another cycle ...

and I make the best non-gebrocht sponge cake around so... I need the oven ... (I'd like a mixer too - but only have hand held)

chen

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 2:37 pm
load up on stovetop recipes and serve fresh fruit salad instead of baked goods for dessert. better for eveyone, anyway.

MyKidsRQte

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 2:43 pm
I self clean, then scrub it with ez-off, then self clean once more

cl

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 3:14 pm
no self-clean mode:(

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 3:17 pm
cl wrote:
no self-clean mode:(

One day you will have one ... till then s o r r y Exploding anger

chen

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 5:22 pm
cl wrote:
We have been told we cant kasher our oven for pesach:(
we dont have space to borrow / buy a regular-size special one 4 pesach so I will be using a counter-top mini-oven to cook 10 meals for 7adults... aaaarrrgggghhhhh... im panicking...

OK, what's a counter-top mini-oven? is that what we call a toaster-oven in the US? (electric, about the size of a breadbox, best for heating pizza but can be used to make baked goods.)

downsyndrome

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 5:27 pm
I am heading out in around 10 minutes to buy my Pesach convection oven for counter-top. I also have been struggling for years with my chometz oven, which does not have self-clean mode, and have been torching it, scrubbing it, burning it, and at the end the rav paskened last year that after all my efforts, I still needed to line the entire interior with silver foil, and that broke my oven thermostat. I went bananas - was busy with servicemen when I should have been cooking and baking.
This year I am just buying the OTC one and hope it will turn out good food! Very Happy

bashinda

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 5:31 pm
no it's a counter top oven. Here's an example. It's bigger than a toaster oven. Strangely enough this one doesn't even toast bread which B"H isn't a problem for Pesach Very Happy

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton.....=1-11

downsyndrome

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 5:37 pm
bashinda wrote:
no it's a counter top oven. Here's an example. It's bigger than a toaster oven. Strangely enough this one doesn't even toast bread which B"H isn't a problem for Pesach Very Happy

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton.....=1-11

Cuz it isn't a toaster oven; it's a convection oven!

bashinda

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 5:53 pm
some countertop ovens do toast also. Maybe they're not convection?

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 6:00 pm
Here is what the OU has to say about non-self clean ovens - note the part that I bolded.
Quote:
Kashering a Non-Self-Cleaning Oven:
1. Clean walls, floor, door, ceiling and racks thoroughly with an abrasive cleaner (for example, Easy-Off ) to remove tangible chametz. Pay special attention to the temperature gauge, the window in the door and the edges of the oven chamber. Black discolorations that are flush with the metal do not have to be removed.
2. Once the oven is clean, it is preferable that it remain unused for twenty- four hours.
3. Place the racks back into the oven, and turn the oven to broil for one and-a-half hours.
4. Pesach food or pans may be placed directly on the door or racks once the oven has been kashered.

If the oven has a separate broiler chamber, it should be kashered in the same manner as the oven chamber.

A broiler pan that comes in direct contact with food cannot be kashered.

Note: The method of kashering described above is based on the ruling of Rav Aharon Kotler zt’l. However, Rav Moshe ruled that the oven must either be kashered with a blowtorch, or that an insert should be placed into the oven for the duration of Pesach. Consult your own Rabbi for guidance.

curlyhead

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 6:08 pm
The Chabad Minhag is not to kasher the oven for pesach.

This year I finally went our and brought a counter top convection over with a rotisserie. and 2 burner -which I dont need. . Hoping it will fit 2 9x11 trays. Now I'll finally could make kugel on pesach!!!

bashinda

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 6:52 pm
curlyhead wrote:

This year I finally went our and brought a counter top convection over with a rotisserie. and 2 burner -which I dont need. . Hoping it will fit 2 9x11 trays. Now I'll finally could make kugel on pesach!!!

And I will tell you that I know of more than a few Lubavitchers who do in fact kasher their ovens for Pesach! (I'd been taking a "poll" so to speak because I wondered if I should use my oven or not.

Which oven did you get? I'll probably get the one I posted as I have it already for milchigs and then I can have 2 pizza pans for milchigs Smile [/I]

ny21

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 7:28 pm
we clean it.
I have seen some nice pesch kitchens in boro park .

Mommy3.5

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 7:44 pm
curlyhead wrote:

Umm, I know plenty of chabad people who kasher thier oven.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics