Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Middle Of The Year Siyum
1  2  Next

MommyZ

Post Wed, Dec 04 2013, 5:22 am
My dd has 17 girls in her class. The are having a Siyum, and each girl is bringing in something related to the topic. I took her shopping, and it cost $24. Is that expected? Is that normal? DD insists that there are girls whose parents are spending twice that. This is not a wealthy school.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Dec 04 2013, 6:55 am
MommyZ wrote:
My dd has 17 girls in her class. The are having a Siyum, and each girl is bringing in something related to the topic. I took her shopping, and it cost $24. Is that expected? Is that normal? DD insists that there are girls whose parents are spending twice that. This is not a wealthy school.

No, I don't think this is normal. I don't know how old these kids are but my son brought pickles (ooh, I'm outing myself) for the last few years of elementary. Other kids bought Twizzlers, a bag of potato chips, popcorn, etc. Never more than a few dollars and sometimes a lot less (think 2 boxes of candy canes bought in early Jan. at 90% off Wink ).

MommyZ

Post Wed, Dec 04 2013, 7:00 am
10-11 year old girls.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Dec 04 2013, 7:14 am
Sorry, just registered, related to the topic. I can see how you might not be able to get away with just anything. I'm curious but you don't have to share: what is the topic?

lkwdmommy

Post Wed, Dec 04 2013, 9:01 am
No, this is ridiculous.

I would suggest (insist) that, either (1) she find a partner to split the idea with. $12 is still an awful lot of money, but at least it's not $24. Or (2) she find a new cheaper idea and give her a ceiling to spend. Maybe help her with some suggestions.

And, as an experienced mom, I can't imagine that you are buying into this "everyone's doing it" story.

MommyZ

Post Wed, Dec 04 2013, 9:06 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Sorry, just registered, related to the topic. I can see how you might not be able to get away with just anything. I'm curious but you don't have to share: what is the topic?

Sefer Shemos.

MommyZ

Post Wed, Dec 04 2013, 9:07 am
lkwdmommy wrote:
No, this is ridiculous.

I would suggest (insist) that, either (1) she find a partner to split the idea with. $12 is still an awful lot of money, but at least it's not $24. Or (2) she find a new cheaper idea and give her a ceiling to spend. Maybe help her with some suggestions.

And, as an experienced mom, I can't imagine that you are buying into this "everyone's doing it" story.

As a once a year thing, I was willing to. Next time, she will have to choose a less expensive option.

theoneandonly

Post Wed, Dec 04 2013, 9:12 am
MommyZ wrote:
PinkFridge wrote:

Sefer Shemos.

Twizzlers for dam
fireball candies for barad
cookies/baked goods for sar ha'ofim
baby pacifier candies for 6 babies at once
just off the top of my head.
You really don't need to spend that much... what did you buy?

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Dec 04 2013, 9:21 am
candy canes for moshe's staff Smile

MommyZ

Post Wed, Dec 04 2013, 9:32 am
theoneandonly wrote:
MommyZ wrote:
PinkFridge wrote:

Sefer Shemos.

Twizzlers for dam

Two gallons of ice cream and jumbo cones.

theoneandonly

Post Wed, Dec 04 2013, 10:08 am
MommyZ wrote:
theoneandonly wrote:
MommyZ wrote:
PinkFridge wrote:

Sefer Shemos.

Twizzlers for dam

Yummmmmm. Can I come to the siyum? LOL

MommyZ

Post Wed, Dec 04 2013, 10:10 am
theoneandonly wrote:
MommyZ wrote:
theoneandonly wrote:
MommyZ wrote:
PinkFridge wrote:

Sefer Shemos.

Twizzlers for dam

Yummmmmm. Can I come to the siyum? LOL

Sure Smile. It's one gallon of chocolate, vanilla, strawberry and one gallon cookie dough. She wanted choices.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Dec 04 2013, 11:10 am
MommyZ wrote:

I have no idea how much the cones cost, but I would have just used cups, unless that comes out more expensive.

sarahd

Post Wed, Dec 04 2013, 11:39 am
Um. I feel very dumb. What's the connection to sefer Shemos?

zaq

Post Wed, Dec 04 2013, 12:02 pm
sarahd wrote:

When the kids in other classes find out there's ice cream, there will be a mass EXODUS from their classrooms to Op's dd's classroom. and ice cream cones look like pyramids. (not really, but it was the best I could do on the fly.)

MommyZ

Post Wed, Dec 04 2013, 1:01 pm
zaq wrote:
sarahd wrote:

When the kids in other classes find out there's ice cream, there will be a mass EXODUS from their classrooms to Op's dd's classroom. and ice cream cones look like pyramids. (not really, but it was the best I could do on the fly.)

You got it. That was dd's rationale.

MommyZ

Post Wed, Dec 04 2013, 1:02 pm
yo'ma wrote:
MommyZ wrote:

I have no idea how much the cones cost, but I would have just used cups, unless that comes out more expensive.

The cones were $7. The ice cream was much more expensive. Cholov Yisroel only at her school.

sarahd

Post Wed, Dec 04 2013, 1:05 pm
MommyZ wrote:
zaq wrote:
sarahd wrote:

Gosh, really? Okay, this doesn't make me feel less dumb.

MommyZ

Post Wed, Dec 04 2013, 1:13 pm
sarahd wrote:
MommyZ wrote:
zaq wrote:
sarahd wrote:

Gosh, really? Okay, this doesn't make me feel less dumb.

It's ok. You don't think like a fifth grade girl. She was able to convince me to buy her class two gallons of ice cream and jumbo cones. I guess that was the idea.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Dec 04 2013, 1:17 pm
Then you need the cones Wink . You should have just bought the cones with chocolate syrup and sprinkles Smile . Plain cones are delicious and since it's winter, who really wants cold ice-cream?!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics