Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Kiryat Moshe - Bnei Brak? or American Neighborhoods?
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Sun, Dec 08 2013, 4:02 am
Hi Ladies,

DH and I were originally set on RBS but because of where our jobs are - its really just too far for both of us to be commuting 1.5 hours each way to tel aviv. We then looked into Raanana because its near Tel Aviv, but I think I have come to the realization that its just too modern for us and the small yeshivish community that is there is quite small - and the school options seem pretty limited....so we are back to the drawing board. I am looking for a nice neighborhood, with some young anglos (nothing wrong with trying to make a smooth landing!!) that is nearish to tel aviv. I had seen an area of Bnei Brak called Kiryat Moshe mentioned a few times and referred to as a more anglo neighborhood. I have tried to look into it more with google, but I can't seem to find anything. Are there any anglo neighborhoods in or near bnei brak (or petah tikvah) that would be good for professional, worldly yeshivish types?

Thanks in advance!

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Dec 08 2013, 4:04 am
amother wrote:
Hi Ladies,

DH and I were originally set on RBS but because of where our jobs are - its really just too far for both of us to be commuting 1.5 hours each way to tel aviv. We then looked into Raanana because its near Tel Aviv, but I think I have come to the realization that its just too modern for us and the small yeshivish community that is there is quite small - and the school options seem pretty limited....so we are back to the drawing board. I am looking for a nice neighborhood, with some young anglos (nothing wrong with trying to make a smooth landing!!) that is nearish to tel aviv. I had seen an area of Bnei Brak called Kiryat Moshe mentioned a few times and referred to as a more anglo neighborhood. I have tried to look into it more with google, but I can't seem to find anything. Are there any anglo neighborhoods in or near bnei brak (or petah tikvah) that would be good for professional, worldly yeshivish types?

Thanks in advance!
It is NOT 1.5 hours to tel aviv from rbs. It is a 40 or 45 minute train ride. from rbs to the train is about a ten minute cab ride and there are so many people who go that I am 100% sure that people share cabs down to the station.

cinnamon

Post Sun, Dec 08 2013, 4:12 am
Kiryat moshe in bnei brak is a group of six or seven buildings at the end of rechov chazon ish. That whole area of the end of chazon ish, called shikun gimel (שיכון ג) Is more modern chareidi. It is not an anglo area (there is no anglo areas in bnei brak). Therer are some 10 anglo families in that area but no anglo community. It is a nice area though and as I said more modern so anglos might feel more at home there. (For example, your husband won't feel out of place in a colorfull shirt, you will feel right at home with a longer sheital, smart phones are very common etc.)

ETA:
If I were you I would look at apartments in the small streets behind chazon ish - Golom, Itzchak Sade, Remez etc. and not davka in kiryat moshe.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 08 2013, 4:21 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
amother wrote:
Hi Ladies,

Thanks in advance!
It is NOT 1.5 hours to tel aviv from rbs. It is a 40 or 45 minute train ride. from rbs to the train is about a ten minute cab ride and there are so many people who go that I am 100% sure that people share cabs down to the station.

You are right, but what you aren't considering is that it depends where your office is in TA. Most people don't work right at the train station unless you work in/near azrieli and my husband does not. He has friends from work who do the commute from RBS and told him that its realistically all in 1.5 hours each way....also he did it one day to go and learn with a friend in RBS and thats how long it took. I am sure they are not all wrong. You are right that it is a 45 minute train ride, but what you are forgetting is that its another 10-15 minutes to take a cab to the train and wait for the train and then for where DH office is is another 20-25 minute bus ride in rush hour to his office from the train, plus a possible 5 minute wait for the bus to come. So all in you are looking at easily 1.25 hours to 1.5 hours.

Also, while he has quite a few friends from work who do the commute, they complain about it constantly and many want to move because 3 hours of commuting round trip is exhausting. AND those guys have wives that are SAHM so if they get home late its NBD. I am not a SAHM and would prefer to have him around more in the mornings and evenings to help out.

Now this is why we are looking for a place closer to TA. If its not possible so be it, but it doesnt hurt to ask, right?

amother

Post Sun, Dec 08 2013, 4:22 am
cinnamon wrote:
Kiryat moshe in bnei brak is a group of six or seven buildings at the end of rechov chazon ish. That whole area of the end of chazon ish, called shikun gimel (שיכון ג) Is more modern chareidi. It is not an anglo area (there is no anglo areas in bnei brak). Therer are some 10 anglo families in that area but no anglo community. It is a nice area though and as I said more modern so anglos might feel more at home there. (For example, your husband won't feel out of place in a colorfull shirt, you will feel right at home with a longer sheital, smart phones are very common etc.)

ETA:
If I were you I would look at apartments in the small streets behind chazon ish - Golom, Itzchak Sade, Remez etc. and not davka in kiryat moshe.

can I pm you? I know pretty much nothing about the neighborhood, so this is all a little foreign. thanks! Smile

cinnamon

Post Sun, Dec 08 2013, 4:26 am
amother wrote:
cinnamon wrote:

ETA:

can I pm you? I know pretty much nothing about the neighborhood, so this is all a little foreign. thanks! Smile

Sure.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 08 2013, 4:27 am
are there any anglo areas near tel aviv or mixed areas with anglos? what's givat shmuel like? the "modern chareidi" cinnamon described in kiryat moshe is the type of place we would be comfortable in.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Dec 08 2013, 4:27 am
amother wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
amother wrote:
Hi Ladies,

Thanks in advance!

You are right, but what you aren't considering is that it depends where your office is in TA. Most people don't work right at the train station unless you work in/near azrieli and my husband does not. He has friends from work who do the commute from RBS and told him that its realistically all in 1.5 hours each way....also he did it one day to go and learn with a friend in RBS and thats how long it took. I am sure they are not all wrong. You are right that it is a 45 minute train ride, but what you are forgetting is that its another 10-15 minutes to take a cab to the train and wait for the train and then for where DH office is is another 20-25 minute bus ride in rush hour to his office from the train, plus a possible 5 minute wait for the bus to come. So all in you are looking at easily 1.25 hours to 1.5 hours.

Also, while he has quite a few friends from work who do the commute, they complain about it constantly and many want to move because 3 hours of commuting round trip is exhausting. AND those guys have wives that are SAHM so if they get home late its NBD. I am not a SAHM and would prefer to have him around more in the mornings and evenings to help out.

Now this is why we are looking for a place closer to TA. If its not possible so be it, but it doesnt hurt to ask, right?
So interesting, really Smile
We have friends who love living in either RBS or BS BECAUSE it is close to the train and the commute is relatively painless, and they dont all work right near the train station (yes, my husband does but we live in the gush, so my husband has an hour and a half from home to train and then office)
I guess its what is most important to you (and your family) for us, we tried modiin, a 20 minute train ride for my husband, but the community was not us at all.
We moved back to the gush and it was my husband's decision that the 1.5 hours commute was ok because the community where we live, we love.
I think that being near work is important, but you also have to like where you live, just a reminder Smile

amother

Post Sun, Dec 08 2013, 4:35 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
amother wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
amother wrote:
Hi Ladies,

Thanks in advance!

We have friends who love living in either RBS or BS BECAUSE it is close to the train and the commute is relatively painless, and they dont all work right near the train station (yes, my husband does but we live in the gush, so my husband has an hour and a half from home to train and then office)
I guess its what is most important to you (and your family) for us, we tried modiin, a 20 minute train ride for my husband, but the community was not us at all.
We moved back to the gush and it was my husband's decision that the 1.5 hours commute was ok because the community where we live, we love.
I think that being near work is important, but you also have to like where you live, just a reminder Smile

You are very right. It is something we have gone back and forth with. I think its very different though when you have BOTH parents, not just one, doing the 3 hour round trip commute AND we are both immigrants with no family to help out....and actually my commute would be even longer because I will be working north of tel aviv. Having a 1 or 1.5 hour commute round trip means that 1.5 hours more we can be at home. It also depends what line of work you are in I think. DH consistently works 12 hour days. My hours will be similar, at least in the beginning.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Dec 08 2013, 4:40 am
amother wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
amother wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
amother wrote:
Hi Ladies,

Thanks in advance!

You are very right. It is something we have gone back and forth with. I think its very different though when you have BOTH parents, not just one, doing the 3 hour round trip commute AND we are both immigrants with no family to help out....and actually my commute would be even longer because I will be working north of tel aviv. Having a 1 or 1.5 hour commute round trip means that 1.5 hours more we can be at home. It also depends what line of work you are in I think. DH consistently works 12 hour days. My hours will be similar, at least in the beginning.
All true. I just wanted you to make sure that you dont end up picking a community SOLELY based on location, it is not always good. Also like your community, thats all.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 08 2013, 4:49 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
amother wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
amother wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
amother wrote:
Hi Ladies,

Thanks in advance!

All true. I just wanted you to make sure that you dont end up picking a community SOLELY based on location, it is not always good. Also like your community, thats all.

very true. thanks. down the road, when our hours are better RBS may be an option again...Im just not sure how we will manage being away from home for 15 hours of the day (plus night seder for DH). Again, I am even still open to it now, but israel is still pretty foreign, and I really didnt know what was around near TA and people kept recommending BB to us so figured id check it out. Also, I have cousins in savyon, so, while we arent close, in an emergency, its good to be near them.

freidasima

Post Sun, Dec 08 2013, 4:54 am
There is a Belz kehilla in Tel Aviv in the center of the city.
Givat Shmuel is really modern in most places, not for you.
Charedi as you are looking for it doesn't really exist in Tel Aviv, Ramat Gan, Givatayim, Givat Shmuel, Hertzlia, Rishion Letzion and the areas surrounding Tel Aviv.
Anglo - you have some in Petach Tikva and mostly in Ra'anana, nowhere else really.
Modern but frum mizrachi (political party, not ethnic) areas? There are some, one in South Givatayim-ramat Gan, some in Petach Tikva, Ra'anana. But the combination of anglo=charedi-modern? Not that I know of in those areas.

LisaS

Post Sun, Dec 08 2013, 5:44 am
No matter where you live I think that you will find it challenging to have both you and DH working full time in Tel Aviv. Took us a few years to figure that out.

Would Kiryat sefer work for you? Same area as Modiin but charedi. The advantage of being centrally located is that it gives you more options of where to work. You can have one spouse work in Tel Aviv and one in Jerusalem.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 08 2013, 5:50 am
LisaS wrote:
No matter where you live I think that you will find it challenging to have both you and DH working full time in Tel Aviv. Took us a few years to figure that out.

Would Kiryat sefer work for you? Same area as Modiin but charedi. The advantage of being centrally located is that it gives you more options of where to work. You can have one spouse work in Tel Aviv and one in Jerusalem.

I know it is challenging to have us both work, but what are our options? everything is so expensive, how can we NOT both work?

I'll looking into kiryat sefer but I thought it was very chareidi. We are really not chareidi! we are like normal/modern yeshivish. But I will definitely check it out! thanks!

LisaS

Post Sun, Dec 08 2013, 6:17 am
Most families have both spouses working. But to have 2 spouses working full time plus a commute is less typical, at least with families with larger families. If you can arrange it so at least one of you can work part time, from home, flex time, on a teacher's schedule, or with some sort of flexibility it will probably be easier to manage. I don't know what ages your kids are.

Good luck - you will see that the financial challenges many face here are more than overshadowed by the zchut and bracha of living here. I don't mean to be discouraging at all.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Dec 08 2013, 6:19 am
amother wrote:
LisaS wrote:

I know it is challenging to have us both work, but what are our options? everything is so expensive, how can we NOT both work?

I'll looking into kiryat sefer but I thought it was very chareidi. We are really not chareidi! we are like normal/modern yeshivish. But I will definitely check it out! thanks!
Do you both already have jobs lined up? How do you know that you will be working in tel aviv before you even get here?

amother

Post Sun, Dec 08 2013, 6:22 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
amother wrote:
LisaS wrote:

Do you both already have jobs lined up? How do you know that you will be working in tel aviv before you even get here?

We both have jobs lined up. DH all ready started working.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Dec 08 2013, 6:26 am
amother wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
amother wrote:
LisaS wrote:

Thats great Very Happy

amother

Post Sun, Dec 08 2013, 6:28 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
amother wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
amother wrote:
LisaS wrote:

Thats great Very Happy

yes! b"h! we feel truly blessed Smile

LisaS

Post Sun, Dec 08 2013, 6:29 am
Wow, that's amazing! You are off to a good start. Hatzlacha.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions