Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Kiryat Moshe - Bnei Brak? or American Neighborhoods?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Sun, Dec 08 2013, 6:33 am
LisaS wrote:
Wow, that's amazing! You are off to a good start. Hatzlacha.

Thanks. We feel really lucky Smile Its a little insane but exciting!

sara_s

Post Sun, Dec 08 2013, 8:11 am
Maybe Moshav Matityahu? It's still a driv but it's closer. It's a working American Chareidi community, next to Kiryat Sefer and Modiin

boysrus

Post Sun, Dec 08 2013, 9:15 am
I dont think anyone mentioned Rechovot yet. One what I learned when exploring community options in Israel, it might suit you. Search the nefeshbnefesh website about it.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 08 2013, 11:13 am
I went to Moshav Matisyahu for a shabbos and it struck me as such a warm anglo community. Really nice, friendly families. Look into it!

Kfar

Post Sun, Dec 08 2013, 8:13 pm
OP -- Have you spoken at all with a Nefesh b'Nefesh counselor? They were really good in going through different areas with us based on level of observance and fact that my DH is Israeli -- specifically, we were told that some of the areas we are looking at were ok for us only b/c DH is Israeli -- too hard for anglos alone. In any event, they seem to be very informed and may be able to help you. Hatzlacha!

Last edited by Kfar on Mon, Dec 23 2013, 2:35 am; edited 2 times in total

amother

Post Sun, Dec 08 2013, 8:40 pm
Chatam community in rechovot sounds like a great fit. Have you looked there yet?

doctorima

Post Sun, Dec 08 2013, 9:42 pm
I don't know about the commute, but I would second (or third?) the vote for Moshav Mattisyahu. I had a wonderful experience when spending Shabbos there many years ago. Rav Leff is absolutely wonderful, and there's a real American sense of community there. It sounds like religiously and socially exactly what you're looking for.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 09 2013, 12:33 am
Thanks so much for everyones help. This is great information. Its funny, I had asked a while ago about places, and when someone suggested moshav mattiyahu someone else said its very very chareidi...so I was always under the impression that it was very very chareidi. Good to know that I was mistaken. I will also check out Rechovot.

I'll look into speaking with people from NBN. I never knew it was an option. There is no local NBN office where we live, and the only person we met with was secular and couldnt really answer a lot of my questions.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 09 2013, 12:39 am
Wow. Chatam DOES sound like a great fit. I just looked over their website and it sounds great and its near tel aviv. Thanks so much!

Isramom8

Post Mon, Dec 09 2013, 1:27 am
You might want to reconsider Raanana again. The crowd you describe isn't "that" small, although I don't know how big you need it to be. There aren't "that" many school options, but all you need is one school. Smile

It's kind of nice that the religious community is small. I was just in the mall yesterday with my daughter, where a woman in pants and no head covering figured out that I'm my husband's wife, and we became instant buddies. She ended up advising my daughter on her jacket purchase, and I appreciated it. That's how it is here.

westerner

Post Mon, Dec 09 2013, 12:20 pm
OP, we looked into Kiryat Moshe when we moved here, and I can tell you that as much as there are some nicer apartment buildings, if you are looking for somewhere with an american presence, you wont find it there!! there are a few Americans, interspersed with a higher proportion of Europeans (Belgians, French, Brits), but its mostly Israeli. if you are looking for somewhere with a RBSish like feel, you wont get it there...

amother

Post Mon, Dec 09 2013, 1:29 pm
westerner wrote:
OP, we looked into Kiryat Moshe when we moved here, and I can tell you that as much as there are some nicer apartment buildings, if you are looking for somewhere with an american presence, you wont find it there!! there are a few Americans, interspersed with a higher proportion of Europeans (Belgians, French, Brits), but its mostly Israeli. if you are looking for somewhere with a RBSish like feel, you wont get it there...

thanks so much. its too bad, it looks like a really nice neighborhood! I'm surprised it hasnt caught on more with the anglo crowd. It seems really convenient to TA, and the buildings look nice.

I don't need an american presence per se, but definitely an anglo presence. where there other neighborhoods that you looked at that you think would fit the bill?

amother

Post Mon, Dec 09 2013, 2:06 pm
I am the amother who mentioned chatam in rechovot. we were super close to making aliyah and did extensive research into our options. we spent a shabbos in rechovot at chatam and had a chance to meet many of the people there. its really a terrific place, easy commute to tel aviv, very warm and accepting. rechovot itself is a nice big city with just about everything you need. on the nbn page about rechovot, there is a contact there Pary franks who was really helpful to us.

SJcookie

Post Mon, Dec 09 2013, 3:57 pm
OP, firstly, mazal tov on the wonderful decision to make aliyah! May HaShem bless your family with a yishuv tov and an easy, smooth transition.

I live in RBS, and yes, you are correct that with the train the commute can take about 1.5 hours (or longer). However, I still think you should consider RBS. the charedi anglo community here is really nice. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
If it's possible, perhaps consider the option of having a car & then you and dh can commute to work together? (if you work close enough to each other, that is). It might work out financially better that way.

In my very honest opinion (and I may get flamed for this) - if you live somewhere close to Tel Aviv, your children will be a lot more exposed to chiloni life. RBS & Moshav Matityahu are a lot more insular than all of the communities listed here (even Bnei Brak), and based on your hashkafah, you may or may not find that to be a good thing.
Personally, dh and I find it important for our children to grow up in a charedi community, and not a walking distance from a chiloni community.
JUST something to consider...

westerner

Post Mon, Dec 09 2013, 4:13 pm
amother wrote:
westerner wrote:

thanks so much. its too bad, it looks like a really nice neighborhood! I'm surprised it hasnt caught on more with the anglo crowd. It seems really convenient to TA, and the buildings look nice.

I don't need an american presence per se, but definitely an anglo presence. where there other neighborhoods that you looked at that you think would fit the bill?

yea. unfortunate Sad. we looked at it for convenience too- proximity to tel aivv (for DH), and to train station for me.
in the merkaz area there isnt much in terms of that "american" "right wing"ish feel - like what youd get in NYC- like what people have in areas of yerushalayim where lots of younger kollel couples tend to settle (albeit temporarily!!) or in RBS.
Givat Shmuel has some english speaking areas. Rechovot has a nice Anglo presence as well. commute wise, its a bit further, but the train is awesome. I do definitely think you should revisit Ranana- yes there is a huge "dati leumi"/kipa sruga/modern orthodox (sorry for throwing all those terms together- I hate these terms!!!) presence, but there is also a more right wing contient there, just smaller.from what ive seen. (just commute wise- remember its nothign as convenient as real TLV or its suburbs- train is totally an impossiblity, Ranana is a bit more difficult to central tel aviv with rush hour).

there is of course the bavli area of tel aviv- but that has a very european feel to it- both in culture, and language (lots of french, not lots of english, spoken!)

we ended up right on the border of ramat gan and bnei brak- in an area not far from kiryat moshe, with NOT alot of americans, but a few brits on our block, as well as some europeans. my son has 3 or 4 other english speakers (a couple of whom have one english speaking parent - married to an israeli at home, a couple of whom made aliya), and honestly, once we stopped getting so caught up on the "are there enough americans/english speakers" around for us?? it made life more smooth! and forced us to just integrate, be part of stuff, use our hebrew 24/7, and we havent looked back Smile. SO- wish I could tell you- come to where we are-- but I dont think its what you are looking for Wink

amother

Post Mon, Dec 09 2013, 11:45 pm
westerner wrote:
amother wrote:
westerner wrote:

yea. unfortunate Sad. we looked at it for convenience too- proximity to tel aivv (for DH), and to train station for me.
in the merkaz area there isnt much in terms of that "american" "right wing"ish feel - like what youd get in NYC- like what people have in areas of yerushalayim where lots of younger kollel couples tend to settle (albeit temporarily!!) or in RBS.
Givat Shmuel has some english speaking areas. Rechovot has a nice Anglo presence as well. commute wise, its a bit further, but the train is awesome. I do definitely think you should revisit Ranana- yes there is a huge "dati leumi"/kipa sruga/modern orthodox (sorry for throwing all those terms together- I hate these terms!!!) presence, but there is also a more right wing contient there, just smaller.from what ive seen. (just commute wise- remember its nothign as convenient as real TLV or its suburbs- train is totally an impossiblity, Ranana is a bit more difficult to central tel aviv with rush hour).

there is of course the bavli area of tel aviv- but that has a very european feel to it- both in culture, and language (lots of french, not lots of english, spoken!)

we ended up right on the border of ramat gan and bnei brak- in an area not far from kiryat moshe, with NOT alot of americans, but a few brits on our block, as well as some europeans. my son has 3 or 4 other english speakers (a couple of whom have one english speaking parent - married to an israeli at home, a couple of whom made aliya), and honestly, once we stopped getting so caught up on the "are there enough americans/english speakers" around for us?? it made life more smooth! and forced us to just integrate, be part of stuff, use our hebrew 24/7, and we havent looked back Smile. SO- wish I could tell you- come to where we are-- but I dont think its what you are looking for Wink

Thanks so much! this is awesome information. I'm going to PM you if thats ok!

amother

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 2:43 am
If you want more info on Rechovot and Chatam, I live in Rechovot and we are members of Chatam. But I don't want to out myself. You can ask any questions here.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 3:14 am
OP, I'm not sure if you said how old you are, but we looked into Rechovot/Chatam a few years ago and found the Chatam community was in a different stage of life. We are not so young (late thirties, early forties), but we felt like the community is in their fifties or older/grandparent stage and that we wouldn't have friends. Maybe something changed recently? Something to consider.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 3:42 am
amother wrote:
OP, I'm not sure if you said how old you are, but we looked into Rechovot/Chatam a few years ago and found the Chatam community was in a different stage of life. We are not so young (late thirties, early forties), but we felt like the community is in their fifties or older/grandparent stage and that we wouldn't have friends. Maybe something changed recently? Something to consider.

Oh wow, this is super important. We are in our late 20s!

amother

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 8:33 am
A large percentage of chatam is older but they have a core group of younger families that have made aliyah in the past few years.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions