Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Are there jobs for social workers now?
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Thu, Dec 12 2013, 1:33 am
out-of-towner wrote:

It is only funny if both sides think it is so.

I found it extremely rude and hurtful. I did not tell her to PM me so that I could find out who she was. I couldn't care less who she was.

That being said. OP, I do have a lot to tell you about Touro, but my baby isn't feeling well right now so I don't have time for long responses. I will IYH try tomorrow.

Op here. I didn't mean to be hurtful. I have posted as amother in the past under the emotional health section and it has happened that several people told me to pm them and then never got back to me. There are a lot of trolls on this site.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Dec 12 2013, 10:44 am
ROFL wrote:
superdanni wrote:
ROFL wrote:
As far as I see most people want to hire a LCSW. But you can't get that C till you have a clinical job for I think 2000 hours but nobody wants to hire you without the experience. Also pay scales are 35000 for first jobs and not more than 50000 for a social workers job. Now private therapy pays better but hard to establish yourself.

Not sure where you are getting your info from, but in think you may be wrong. My first job as an MSW in 2000 paid more than 30k (way back then) and BH now I earn around 70k (and no, I'm not in private practice. Nor do I have a C)

Wow. Really! What population do you work with ? Are you in the NY area? Do you work for a jewish agency or for a secular one?

Yup. Live in NY. Work at a (major) hospital. Aside from private practice (which not only doesn't interest me, but is a bit too business-oriented for me) social work jobs in healthcare (hospital, nursing home) or the school system (ideally, public school) are the most lucrative.

jackiejoel3

Post Thu, Dec 12 2013, 10:55 am
Do SW in hospitals work 3 12 hour shifts like nurses or are they 9-5?

pesek zman

Post Thu, Dec 12 2013, 10:59 am
jackiejoel3 wrote:
Do SW in hospitals work 3 12 hour shifts like nurses or are they 9-5?

8 hour day shift. I'm 8-4 (per my preference) but many are 9-5 or 10-6 or somewhere in between. Hospitals don't generally have 24 hour social work staffing (maybe just one person covering the house, but that's it)

saralem

Post Thu, Dec 12 2013, 1:19 pm
I've been a SW'er for more than 30 years. bachleor's and master's degree, and some post-grad training. I work in a niche stting within healthcare. I LOVE what I do, and thank G-d every day for my career. But--I will never make the kind of money I could've made if I had become a lawyer or worked in business. You have to really want to be a social worker, with all your heart. It can be draining, exhausting work, with little pay. But, if you love it, the rewards are trmendous. Hatzlacha!

amother

Post Thu, Dec 12 2013, 3:11 pm
saralem wrote:
I've been a SW'er for more than 30 years.

Op here.

My question is, are there jobs for new graduates NOW?

amother

Post Thu, Dec 12 2013, 3:12 pm
superdanni wrote:

Yup. Live in NY. Work at a (major) hospital. Aside from private practice (which not only doesn't interest me, but is a bit too business-oriented for me) social work jobs in healthcare (hospital, nursing home) or the school system (ideally, public school) are the most lucrative.

What about jobs for new graduates?

amother

Post Thu, Dec 12 2013, 5:06 pm
Socialservice.com

amother

Post Thu, Dec 12 2013, 11:38 pm
There definitely seem to be social work jobs out there. When I graduated from my masters program just 3 years ago, I got my license and found a job right away. I didn't like that job very much, and when I went to look for another there were many openings and it didn't take me too long to find my current job which I love. I also work in a hospital, like superdanni, and earn a decent salary, have great benefits, and good job flexibility. I've also heard that hospital and school social workers tend to earn more money overall than those who work for non-profit agencies. Good luck OP!

ROFL

Post Fri, Dec 13 2013, 12:40 am
I guess you don't the LCSW to work in the hospital. Is your work more therapeutic or more case management .
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics