Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
My House is Freezing!!

amother

Post Fri, Dec 13 2013, 12:31 pm
It's so cold in my house. My heat needs to be on 75 in order to be comfortable. I can't afford to keep my heat on 75 all day. The insulation in my house in not great. We do have new windows in some rooms in the house which definitely helps.

Using plug-in heaters is not an option. DD can touch them and burn herself. AL so, they cost a lot in electricity.

What can I do to keep my house warm without paying crazy gas bills?

oliveoil

Post Fri, Dec 13 2013, 12:38 pm
For one, dress warmly in the house.

When I was single, I lived with a roommate who used to complain ridiculously about being cold, but she was walking around in one layer and no socks!

Layer up. Undershirt, shirt, sweatshirt. Leggings and socks. etc

Dolly Welsh

Post Fri, Dec 13 2013, 12:41 pm
Right.

http://www.onestopplus.com/Pro.....10835

Consider an electric fireplace/heater. I think they are well screened. I don't have one however.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Est.....c4l1#

Please don't heat with the gas oven, unless you didn't mean that. There can be heat build-up in the wall. Not good.

TwinsMommy

Post Fri, Dec 13 2013, 12:46 pm
we keep our house (3 bedrooms, attic, basement--- pretty big house for our small family) at 63 and pay about $75 a month (budget all year long $75) . When the heater doesn't work or we have a power outage and the temp goes down to 55 or 50 THEN we consider it cold but 63 is fine for us. When my husband complains I put it up to 64 or 65 for a few hours. Maybe we just have good insulation, I don't know.

you can put space heaters on tables where babies can't reach. In our other house when we had small babies and we were worried about them being too cold we put space heaters on behind the baby gates so they couldn't reach but they'd feel the warmth. But now the twins are almost 7 and don't even wear socks in the house in the winter. they never claim to be cold-- kind of like me!

amother

Post Fri, Dec 13 2013, 12:53 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
Right.

http://www.onestopplus.com/Pro.....10835

Consider an electric fireplace/heater. I think they are well screened. I don't have one however.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Est.....c4l1#

Please don't heat with the gas oven, unless you didn't mean that. There can be heat build-up in the wall. Not good.

OP Here. No I dont heat the house with has oven. My heat is gas (don't know exactly how it works but in the summer the AC brings up the cost of electricty and winter the gas bill goes way up)

I don't think 64 is an option for us I would be too cold and wouldnt be able ti handle it. I need to get warmer pjs for DD thats for sure.

oliveoil

Post Fri, Dec 13 2013, 12:55 pm
layering is usually the warmer way.

I often put my babies in an undeshirt, pjs, socks (sometimes 2 pairs), then a fleece zip up footsie sleeper pj over that.

acemom

Post Fri, Dec 13 2013, 1:12 pm
ITA with layering as a good idea.

Seal all windows with plastic or at least caulk around the frames so that there shouldn't be a draft.

As a desperate resort, put up pots of water to boil so at least the area of the kitchen will be warm.

Barbara

Post Fri, Dec 13 2013, 1:13 pm
My father has this electric heater, which he claims is cheaper to run than his regular heat:

http://www.northerntool.com/sh.....AYAig

I wasn't checking it for child-proof status, but it seemed relatively safe to me.

Also. as others said, layer. Wear a sweatshirt.

Dolly Welsh

Post Fri, Dec 13 2013, 1:58 pm
That looks like a very good heater.

zigi

Post Fri, Dec 13 2013, 2:00 pm
there are some heaters that are not hot to the touch and work really well.

Queen18

Post Fri, Dec 13 2013, 2:00 pm
Windows let in a lot of cold air if they are not properly installed or caulked. Consider putting plastic over all your windows. That could help insulate and result in better retaining the heat you already have.

Dolly Welsh

Post Fri, Dec 13 2013, 2:08 pm
It is also useful to have insulated curtains specifically meant to keep heat in. They aren't expensive.

https://www.google.com/#q=insu.....fined

Rugs help. Runner rugs too. Especially next to the beds.

I like that heater that Barbara posted. The purchaser comments are interesting. It seems child friendly.

This site is interesting:

http://cozywinters.com/shop/he.....TcAow

morah

Post Fri, Dec 13 2013, 2:16 pm
We used to live in a poorly insulated apt. We used the delongo (sp?) Space heater. You can find it on amazon. It is safe for kids- cool to the touch and shuts off automatically if tipped over.

eta: that would be delonghi

Last edited by morah on Sat, Dec 14 2013, 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

greenfire

Post Fri, Dec 13 2013, 3:04 pm
well with the temperatures as low as they are 28°F FEELS LIKE 23° ... although last night it was 18°F FEELS LIKE 4 ... you will be cold ... especially if you live in an old house like mine - a fire in the fireplace helps somewhat ... I prefer the thermostat to be on 67° going down to 63° at night ... my girls change it when I'm not looking

layers including socks & hoodies are great ...

chatouli

Post Fri, Dec 13 2013, 3:35 pm
If your AC units are still in, either take them out or buy covers at Home Depot. They look like little quilts for the AC Smile

Also there is a thing that goes under the door. I think it's called the draft dodger, lol. It really works.

Try the plastic covers for your older windows.

I sympathize - my house is old too and I'm cold from November until April or May. I sleep under several blankets and in flannel sheets from LL Bean. I also wear full pjs to bed and a fleece robe if necessary. My kids wear fleece pjs and my toddler wears a fleece sleep sack in addition to a quilt. We have the heat on 68 during the day and 64 at night. Brr!

We just switched to an alternate energy provider but I haven't gotten a bill yet to see how it compares.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Dec 13 2013, 3:40 pm
I warm my bed with a mattress warmer or electric blanket before I go to sleep. I don't think it's that costly.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics