Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
When do I need to buy dd a bra
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 11:53 am
my oldest dd is 11 and I noticed her breast started growing

when do I need to buy a bra?

amother

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 11:59 am
O5bce it looks ichy to look at. Or if she feels or looks self conscious. Or whenever u feel its right. But dont wait long

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 12:09 pm
Whenever she needs it
I was fully developed at 11

Ruchel

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 12:15 pm
Itchy?

I would say when she feels she needs it.

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 12:16 pm
if she's only beginning to develop ... the sports bras are wonderful - still comfy and a great lead to her getting used to a real booby trap later on

granolamom

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 1:03 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Itchy?

I think she wrote 'ichy' as in yuck. I also thought it said itchy at first.

Lady Godiva

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 1:34 pm
granolamom wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
Itchy?

I think she wrote 'ichy' as in yuck. I also thought it said itchy at first.

I hope amother above doesn't make her daughter feel "ichy"!

To the OP, if she feels ready, then you can get her the cotton sports bras with no support or under-wire, just pullover bras. Most girls her age will be wearing those.

Happy18

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 1:36 pm
Get her a sports bra. The right time is whenever she needs it and it sounds like she does.

momX4

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 1:45 pm
Fruit of the loom and hanes make great sports bras for kids. Buy them for her now so that she would have an easier time wearing a real bra.

My DD loves the fruit of the loom tank style. They come 3 in a pkg.

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 2:41 pm
You will know
when you know.
You know?

Isramom8

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 2:46 pm
When other people besides you also notice. You'll be able to tell if other people start glancing twice.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 2:51 pm
when I was about 12, I read the wonder of becoming you. in the back there was a question. how do I know when its time for a bra? the answer said to put a pencil under your breast. if it can stay without falling, then you need a bra.

I was long overdue for one embarrassed

mille

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 7:55 pm
amother wrote:
when I was about 12, I read the wonder of becoming you. in the back there was a question. how do I know when its time for a bra? the answer said to put a pencil under your breast. if it can stay without falling, then you need a bra.

I was long overdue for one embarrassed

Ah, the pencil test. Quite a stupid test to determine if you need a bra... I'm nearly 30 with big boobs and I still fail the pencil test! It's a dumb body shaming type thing that makes people feel bad for having pendulous (a less nice way to say this is 'saggy') boobs. Which is perfectly normal. And it's perfectly normal to have non-pendulous (aka self supporting) breasts.

When's the right time for a bra? Whenever she feels she needs it or she feels self conscious about it. I agree that if she's just starting to grow, she may feel most comfortable with a typical sports bra.

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 7:59 pm
I thought the "pencil test" was for something else embarrassed

groisamomma

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 8:28 pm
greenfire wrote:
I thought the "pencil test" was for something else embarrassed

For what?

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 8:36 pm
mille wrote:

Ah, the pencil test. Quite a stupid test to determine if you need a bra... I'm nearly 30 with big boobs and I still fail the pencil test! It's a dumb body shaming type thing that makes people feel bad for having pendulous (a less nice way to say this is 'saggy') boobs. Which is perfectly normal. And it's perfectly normal to have non-pendulous (aka self supporting) breasts.

When's the right time for a bra? Whenever she feels she needs it or she feels self conscious about it. I agree that if she's just starting to grow, she may feel most comfortable with a typical sports bra.

I always failed the pencil test, even at a large DD before I had a reduction. pencil always fell to the floor.

Tzippora

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 8:39 pm
We and our large but "pendulous" breasts hate all of y'all.

Just Sayin. Smile

amother

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 8:43 pm
Please please buy her one now, and tell her that she can start wearing it when she feels ready. (Of course if she takes too long and you really feel she needs one then you might encourage her at that point)
I was too embarrassed to discuss it with mom and she only bought me one at the end of eight grade. Second to last girl in my class. I seriously developed a complex that year. And as silly as it sounds I was traumatized.

groisamomma

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 8:53 pm
amother wrote:
Please please buy her one now, and tell her that she can start wearing it when she feels ready. (Of course if she takes too long and you really feel she needs one then you might encourage her at that point)
I was too embarrassed to discuss it with mom and she only bought me one at the end of eight grade. Second to last girl in my class. I seriously developed a complex that year. And as silly as it sounds I was traumatized.

That does not sound silly at all; it actually makes perfect sense. Good suggestion.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children