Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
When do I need to buy dd a bra
Previous  1  2  3  Next

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 9:23 pm
Isramom8 wrote:
When other people besides you also notice. You'll be able to tell if other people start glancing twice.

Please don't wait that long.

spring13

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 11:56 pm
If you've noticed at all, then the suggestions of soft pullover bras is a good one (I didn't say "sports bra" because to me, those are the ones that squish you in so you don't bounce when you're exercising). Please take her on a special shopping trip for them though, don't just get one for her without even mentioning the idea ahead of time! She might have noticed herself already and not known how to bring it up, or she might be totally clueless and need a little info.

DrMom

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 1:22 am
amother wrote:
when I was about 12, I read the wonder of becoming you. in the back there was a question. how do I know when its time for a bra? the answer said to put a pencil under your breast. if it can stay without falling, then you need a bra.

I think one needs a bra a bit before it gets to that stage.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 4:07 am
spring13 wrote:
If you've noticed at all, then the suggestions of soft pullover bras is a good one (I didn't say "sports bra" because to me, those are the ones that squish you in so you don't bounce when you're exercising). Please take her on a special shopping trip for them though, don't just get one for her without even mentioning the idea ahead of time! She might have noticed herself already and not known how to bring it up, or she might be totally clueless and need a little info.

You would have to know your kid's personality. When my mom took me to a department store to buy a bra, I was mortified. I wanted to run away the second she turned her back on me. I despised every minute of it.

For my 10yo DD (who is only developed by a few millimeters), she prefers things to be treated in a very matter of fact, even clinical sort of way. The last time I ordered her clothes online, I got her a cute shirt, some new underwear and socks she needed, and a couple of pullover bras. Socks, underwear, bras. They logically go together.

I told her that she could wear it to get used to the feeling, or not, her choice. All the other girls in her class wear them, whether they need them or not. It's an "in thing" right now, and DD felt very cool knowing that if you looked just right you could tell that she had straps on her shoulders. Very Happy Other days, she just stuffs them in the back of her sock drawer, but I think she's happy to know that they're there whenever she decides that she wants them.

Isramom8

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 8:06 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:
When other people besides you also notice. You'll be able to tell if other people start glancing twice.

Please don't wait that long.

You know what, you're right, and I "liked" this too. Smile

Isramom8

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 8:09 am
DrMom wrote:
amother wrote:
when I was about 12, I read the wonder of becoming you. in the back there was a question. how do I know when its time for a bra? the answer said to put a pencil under your breast. if it can stay without falling, then you need a bra.

I think one needs a bra a bit before it gets to that stage.

That advice is definitely not in the version of the book that I bought for my daughters. Am I getting censored books?

Isramom8

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 8:14 am
I always wondered why they make Tweety Bird bras and the like. Shouldn't you have outgrown that sort of fashion statement by the time you grow into a bra? Are you a teenager or a toddler?

DrMom

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 8:34 am
Isramom8 wrote:
I always wondered why they make Tweety Bird bras and the like. Shouldn't you have outgrown that sort of fashion statement by the time you grow into a bra? Are you a teenager or a toddler?

I see that all the time here in Israel. I was just in a branch of "Delta" this morning and the place was swimming in Tweety Bird and Sylvester bras and underwear for grown women. Who buys those??

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 8:49 am
DrMom wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:

I see that all the time here in Israel. I was just in a branch of "Delta" this morning and the place was swimming in Tweety Bird and Sylvester bras and underwear for grown women. Who buys those??

There is sooo much babyish underwear for women... I always wonder the same

amother

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 9:35 am
op here

she barely has breasts - they just started growing

would you really buy a bra now?

I don't remember these things.

I guess I do need to sit down with her already and have a mother to daughter talk.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 9:37 am
I have memories of middle school, some girls wanted to have a bra and others refused to wear one because it's not comfy. lol

mille

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 8:03 pm
Tzippora wrote:
We and our large but "pendulous" breasts hate all of y'all.

Just Sayin. Smile

No hate! Boobs of all types are awesome! Smile

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 8:10 pm
Isramom8 wrote:

I understand it. Some kids hit puberty before their minds have caught up. That's why they are called "tweens". Having something fun and cute can help take the sting out of realizing that your body is doing something drastic that is out of your control. You can't stop the boobies, but you CAN decide what to wear over them. If Hello Kitty makes that transition easier, then I say, rock on!

Any parent who has used cartoon character underpants to bribe a child to get out of diapers, knows exactly what I'm talking about.

As for "childish" underwear in adult sizes, it makes about as much sense to me as underwires, push up pads, scratchy lace and "butt floss" thongs. Give me Tweety Bird any day, as long as it's comfy!

Optione

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 8:11 pm
amother wrote:
op here

she barely has breasts - they just started growing

would you really buy a bra now?

I don't remember these things.

I guess I do need to sit down with her already and have a mother to daughter talk.

Just to repeat what others have been saying--- yes! Really buy it for her now. Let her start WEARING it when she's ready. But at least she'll HAVE it, and not have to ask for it, when she's ready...

zaq

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 9:27 pm
When she starts to feel jiggly going down stairs OR when she starts to feel self-conscious about her development OR when most of the girls in her class are wearing one, whichever is first.

greenfire

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 9:31 pm
who feels jiggly before having a baby - a teen should be perky

Happy18

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 9:39 pm
greenfire wrote:
who feels jiggly before having a baby - a teen should be perky

Hate to be the one to tell you, but as someone who has a large cup size as a teen I felt jiggly without a bra on. Not at the beginning when I need a training bra, but definitely by the time I was 13.

greenfire

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 9:47 pm
hey I got the goods ...

Happy18

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 9:50 pm
greenfire wrote:
hey I got the goods ...

Consider yourself lucky that you didnt experience the jiggle.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 9:51 pm
amother wrote:

I was too embarrassed to discuss it with mom and she only bought me one at the end of eight grade. Second to last girl in my class. I seriously developed a complex that year. And as silly as it sounds I was traumatized.

I took matters into my own hands, went shopping with a friend and bought my own. Thanks to our joint ignorance, the band was way too small and dug deep red welts all around my rib cage, but it was still better than going au naturel. If I'd waited for my mother to act, I'd still be waiting.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children