Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How much should she ask for?

amother

Post Wed, Dec 18 2013, 10:15 pm
asking for a friend:
she was offered a job as a director of a camp for nursery kindergarten age children. its an established camp with many more grades she ould be in charge of the preschool division where theres 2-3 groups per an age. its going to be for two months. they would let her 4yo be in the camp for free and pay for a mothers helper for her toddler. but instead of giving a offer they asked her how much she would want for it. she never did anything quite like this before and has not a clue.

anyone have a range of what would be normal?

the camp will be for 6 hrs a day.

Cookies n Cream

Post Wed, Dec 18 2013, 10:18 pm
Besides for actually being there and making sure that everything runs smoothly, what else does it entail?
Does she need to work on camp in advance? Prepare a program, order supplies, deal with registration and hiring?

amother

Post Wed, Dec 18 2013, 10:57 pm
ill ask. she would def have to come up with the program & schedule. certain things may be established cuz it was done previously... dunno.
ill ask her abt ordering supplies and hiring ppl. dont think she would have to deal with accepting kids and other registraion but may be involved in hiring her staff.

Kfar

Post Wed, Dec 18 2013, 11:01 pm
asking her what she wants essentially is asking her to negotiate against herself. I would suggest asking what they would offer, while asking around at the same time. Then she can negotiate from that point with more knowledge both in terms of the market and what they may have in mind.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, Dec 18 2013, 11:04 pm
Actually, I've read repeatedly that the person who makes the first offer is in a better position. The trick is to find out /calculate market value for the position, and ask for a small percentage more than that (to give room to negotiate).

amother

Post Wed, Dec 18 2013, 11:09 pm
I'm a camp director.
I work on my job all year long - starting right after yomim tovim.
my job involves a ton of work!!

I create the program, design my ads, am in charge of mailings, run and plan open houses, hire staff, in charge of registration and deal with parents etc. Etc. The list is very long.
some directors only work for two months, some start after pesach and some work all year long. I actually hired an assistant to help me this year.
your friend has to find out the details. In my books, January is late to start planning for a camp but if its a small kiddie thing then it may work.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 18 2013, 11:11 pm
well thats why im asking here for her- maybe ppl can give a range based on their experiences.
the problem with making a first offer when you have no clue is 2 fold. 1. if you give some ridiculous high number they will just laugh you away and find someone else. 2. if you give to low of a number they will say oh thats good (or even try to negotiate you down some more potentially) and you will be short changing yourself.
one person told her around $15/hr esp since they are getting a mother helper and covering your kids summer camp expense. assuming 6hr a day for ~8weeks... that would be $3600. she had originally been thinking maybe more like 5k. she def will ask for more then she wants tho to leave room for negotiation.

SingALong

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 8:14 am
I know someone who did a similar job, the pay was about $4,000 plus the mothers helper and free day camp for an older kid, for the summer. It's very small kids so there's not as much prep work as someone mentioned above, like what needs to be done for older grades. You don't need more than 2-3 camp songs or any day themes, the kids are too little to get that. Really just an organized daily schedule, a supply of rainy day activities, craft supplies, maybe some cute dress up things to come to camp with like funny hats, things like that.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 8:35 am
4000-8000

Although people can earn more, depending on the size of the camp and the situation.

Cookies n Cream

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 8:47 am
ectomorph wrote:
4000-8000

Although people can earn more, depending on the size of the camp and the situation.

I was thinking of around 6000. Someone I know was offered a director job-but for the entire camp, not just preschool. The pay was 12k.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics