Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
ISO of clean books for an 11 yr old voracious reader
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 1:55 pm
I have a hard time keeping my son stocked with reading material.
He flies through the thin books written for 8 yr olds, but I cant get him the thicker books made for older kids because they usually have objectionable content.

My standards are no girl/boy romances and no swear words. and no post-pubescent topics, such as girls getting periods, or wearing bras. no talk about gays, or alternative lifestyles, or any s-xual topics.
he's a boy, and doesnt need to be exposed to these things at this age.

you'd be surprised how hard it is to find clean books.

If you have any recommendations, please post.
thank you

harriet

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 2:44 pm
"wonder" by R. J. Palacio-we lovvvved it!

Aretemis Fowl series

Chocolate Fever

Encyclopedia Brown series

the Great Brain series

any book by Gordon Korman written a long time age (all the McDonald Hall books), not his more recent books (39 clues) although they are okay too I guess.

I assume he read the Harry Potter books? What about the Rick Riordan series?

Also the Disney after Dark series.

Some of the more modern series, the later books in the series may not be appropriate. Also, some people don't allow their kids to read the Rick Riordan (Percy Jackson) books.

mandr

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 2:45 pm
Scat - Carl Hiassen
​Alex Rider (series) - Anthony Horowitz
​The Candy Shop War - Brandon Mull
​Molly Moon (series) - Georgia Byng
​Fablehaven (series) - Brandon Mull
​Mindblind - Jennifer Roy (this has a boy-girl friendship, but not zxual)
​Horowitz and Mrs. Washington/Washington and Horowitz Too - Henry Denker
Niel Flambe (series) - Kevin Sylvester
​The Monstrumologist (series) - Rick Yancey (you need to be able to handle some gore, but its fascinating)

mandr

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 2:46 pm
harriet wrote:
"wonder" by R. J. Palacio-we lovvvved it!

Aretemis Fowl series

Chocolate Fever

Encyclopedia Brown series

the Great Brain series

any book by Gordon Korman written a long time age (all the McDonald Hall books), not his more recent books (39 clues) although they are okay too I guess.

I assume he read the Harry Potter books? What about the Rick Riordan series?

Also the Disney after Dark series.

Some of the more modern series, the later books in the series may not be appropriate. Also, some people don't allow their kids to read the Rick Riordan (Percy Jackson) books.

The 39 clues is geared for younger kids. Nothing explicit. There are some girl-boy crushes, but nothing more than that. Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson series is fantastic but you do have Greek mythology and not everyone wants their kids reading about the gods and goddesses, and there's a girlfriend-boyfriend relationship.

I second Gordon Korman's books and The Great Brain ones. Also, I forgot to add Tintin.

Books

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 4:06 pm
I remember reading The Giver, by Lois Lowry when I was in 3rd grade, I think. It's a terrific book.

mille

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 4:13 pm
sra2131 wrote:
I remember reading The Giver, by Lois Lowry when I was in 3rd grade, I think. It's a terrific book.

There are also three sequels in the same series now! Very Happy

mandr

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 4:26 pm
Yeah, I also loved the Lois Lowry books!

doctorima

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 4:41 pm
http://www.chinuch.org/item_de.....=4555

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 4:59 pm
The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien.

theoneandonly

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 5:00 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:

Not for an 11-year-old!

bigsis144

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 5:02 pm
sra2131 wrote:

Brief and subtle "[s-xual] stirrings" with Jonas when he stops taking his suppression pills. It's probably less than 3 sentences altogether, but he imagines undressing the girl he likes. It's not presented in a titillating way, in fact he's puzzled by it.

Just FYI so you can make an informed decision. I think it's a great book.

(Side note: I'm terrified that they're adapting it for film. They cast TAYLOR SWIFT in it. And the actor for Jonas is 24... isn't it straight out in the book that he's 11 when he begins his apprenticeship with the Giver? I understand making Ender older in the movie adaptation -- he really was very very young in the books -- but I'm not interested in turning The Giver into yet another s-xy dystopia like The Hunger Games or Divergent. There's a spare sterility and innocence to The Giver that I think is part of what makes it such an enduring classic.)

Last edited by bigsis144 on Thu, Dec 19 2013, 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

gp2.0

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 5:09 pm
I loved the secret of platform 13 by eva ibbotson at that age. And everything by Roald Dahl. Artemis fowl. Holes.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 5:13 pm
Does he like fantasy or books about non-fiction?

If he likes non-fiction, you'll have an easier time.

Any book written before 1970 is probably okay.

bigsis144

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 5:19 pm
Holes is also awesome, but has some dark elements. Also, a love story in flashbacks (forbidden love between a black man and a white woman).

I haven't read many Hardy Boys books, and I'm positive the new ones have girl/boy stuff, but the old Nancy Drew books are sooooo chaste ("Ned and I are going to the soda shop! Swell!" type) that I imagine the old Hardy Boys books are similar.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 5:38 pm
theoneandonly wrote:
Rubber Ducky wrote:

Not for an 11-year-old!

Why not? Both of my sons read them by that age.

Also Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame (but it does feature the Greek god Pan in one chapter. And Alice in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass by Charles Dodgson.

iluvy

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 5:41 pm
I love all these books! +1 to Eoin Colfer (he wrote Airman in addition to the Artemis Fowl books; his other books aren't great), Gordon Korman, and everything by Eva Ibbotson.

iluvy

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 5:41 pm
Diana Wynne Jones has tons of wonderful books.

Jughead

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 6:29 pm
The Underland series (first one is "Gregor the Overlander" - don't know what the others are called. there are 5 altogether, I thin)

Reality

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 8:10 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
Holes is also awesome, but has some dark elements. Also, a love story in flashbacks (forbidden love between a black man and a white woman).

I haven't read many Hardy Boys books, and I'm positive the new ones have girl/boy stuff, but the old Nancy Drew books are sooooo chaste ("Ned and I are going to the soda shop! Swell!" type) that I imagine the old Hardy Boys books are similar.

I think holes is great but she is kissing kate... I don't know if that would be ok with the OP.

Reality

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 8:13 pm
What genre is your son interested in? I think you really need to find older books/classics for him to read. Although even Tom Sawyer has a small romantic part. He and Becky od kiss but it is extremely tame. What about Trumpet of the Swan? It might be a little too easy.

I second the Great Brain series. I am going to try to think of more books.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room