Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
The mountain family
1  2  Next

octopus

Post Sun, Dec 22 2013, 6:02 pm
I read it. I don't usually go out and buy books, but my curiosity was piqued when I read an article on aish about it. I loved it! wanted to know if anyone else loved it, too!

here2chill

Post Sun, Dec 22 2013, 6:08 pm
Haven't read it yet but my friend went wild over this book. Could not stop raving. I gotta give it a try!

return2You

Post Sun, Dec 22 2013, 6:19 pm
amaaaaazzzzzzzzing!!! I read it cover to cover in one shabbos afternoon

octopus

Post Sun, Dec 22 2013, 6:36 pm
return2You wrote:
amaaaaazzzzzzzzing!!! I read it cover to cover in one shabbos afternoon

yes. I sat down with it friday night and didn't go to sleep until I finished it.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 2:45 am
I also read the aish article and wanted to get the book. Im going to go right out and buy it now Smile

Frumdoc

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 4:39 am
My friend went to stay with the family after they moved to Israel when she was in sem, said they were amazing, so inspiring. Can't wait to read the the book.

oliveoil

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 6:04 am
I just got the book and can't wait to read it! Heard amazing things about it.

myself

Post Sun, Dec 29 2013, 12:58 pm
What an amazingly fascinating read!!!

oliveoil

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 12:21 am
I finally read it and was not impressed at all. There were a lot of things I found strange and bothersome.

Sparkle

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 12:26 am
oliveoil wrote:
I finally read it and was not impressed at all. There were a lot of things I found strange and bothersome.

It's definitely not your typical story, but most peoples journeys are not, you know?

oliveoil

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 12:34 am
Sparkle wrote:
It's definitely not your typical story, but most peoples journeys are not, you know?

Did I say I was bothered because it's not your typical story?

Sparkle

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 12:41 am
No, I guess you didn't.
So what bothered you about it?

amother

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 1:24 am
I was debating whether to post on this thread or not. I am very closely related to this family. Just be careful about what you say on here that it doesn't turn into lashon hara as you never knew which members of the mountain family are reading what you write. Parts of the story are very extreme/strange/weird but please do not post publicly of how you feel since this is a true account where people in the family's feelings may be hurt. just putting it out there...

abound

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 4:47 am
I know some members of the family and the Matriarch of the fam spoke to my sem soon after they moved here. They are amazing well adjusted people. I cannot wait to read the book.

Maya

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 7:10 am
amother wrote:
I was debating whether to post on this thread or not. I am very closely related to this family. Just be careful about what you say on here that it doesn't turn into lashon hara as you never knew which members of the mountain family are reading what you write. Parts of the story are very extreme/strange/weird but please do not post publicly of how you feel since this is a true account where people in the family's feelings may be hurt. just putting it out there...

Haven't we discussed something about being published and expecting criticism?

SRK

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 7:23 am
Do they sell it in israel?

oliveoil

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 9:02 am
Maya wrote:
Haven't we discussed something about being published and expecting criticism?

Exactly.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 11:21 pm
oliveoil wrote:

I also wonder how all the kids feel about their childhood. I'm sure it varies from child to child and how old they were at various points along the journey.

Each child took it differently. The younger ones had an easier time. The older ones had to figure themselves out and it was very challenging for them. I know all of them personally and they all adjusted differently. She did leave some things out as some of her kids are very unhappy that she is publishing their private story. They do not want the whole world to know about them but she wanted to publicize it as she felt it could inspire others.

I understand that you disagree with her taking money and charity. She does have a home of chessed and gives a lot as well. She has guests over who are geirim or other people who need a place to stay. I am not validating living off of other people's money, I am just saying she is not only a taker.

UQT

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 11:37 pm
I was taken about how some stuff were written so matter of factly. She lived in a tent for how long? with how many kids?
And she went through pregnancies while doing an incredible amount of physical labor as well as homeschooling. Hello, do we have the same kind of pregnancy's?

myself

Post Thu, Jan 09 2014, 6:17 am
Did she write anywhere that she was perfect? If you or I would write a book about our life, can you say in full honesty that you ALWAYS did the right thing? I actually liked the honest way in which the book was written. She didn't try to justify any behaviour and I also think it's self understood, though a little confusing, that some things will be left out to maintain their privacy.
Did you really expect her to hash out all the details of her divorce with the why's and how's? It would have been nice though if an explanatory note would be included in the introduction stating that some details were left out to maintain privacy.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room