Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Brooklyn Modern/Orthodox Elementary School
1  2  Next

chabadnikit

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 12:05 pm
I'm looking for information on Modern Orthodox/Orthodox elementary schools in the Brooklyn area. I am looking for a modern school (ashkenazic or sephardic) not Bais Yaakov or Chassidish types, which offer a pretty decent education and will work with you on the tuition price. I am very open minded to different types of schools, but prefer if the kids are mostly shomer shabbos. I've heard Shulamit is a good school but not affordable. We live in Crown Heights so if there is anything a little closer to this side of Brooklyn that would also be a plus! Any information you can offer would be great!

b from nj

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 12:24 pm
I don't think you will be able to expect Yeshivish/Chassidish tuition costs in the more MO yeshivas. MO schools tend to be more pricey. When I saw the subject of your post, I thought Shulamit also but as you said, the tuitions are high & I'm not sure how much they would be willing to work with you. Also, how would you even get your kid to school in Flatbush b/c I'm sure there would be no busing available.

Sorry that I can't think of any good suggestions for you.

Hatzlacha though!!

chabadnikit

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 12:36 pm
Thanks you for your response! I am very appreciative of your honesty. I would probably drive my kids there or move if need be. Where do modern people who can't afford these schools send their children?

amother

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 12:43 pm
In my experience every school has some sort of scholarship fund. I am sure Shulamis has something. It doesnt hurt to call and ask. Are you prepared to show your tax returns and income paperwork in order to receive a scholarship?

I pay a reduced tuition rate (I dont live in Brooklyn), which is still more than some people pay elsewhere, and its based on my income.

hop613

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 1:20 pm
MO schools are generally more expensive. People who can't afford to pay ask for tuition breaks, send to more right wing schools, or homeschool. Or basically put themselves into a lot of deb to pay tuition. The only school that comes to mind is Shulamis, but I don't have recent info. If you are willing to move, are you willing to leave Brooklyn?

chabadnikit

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 2:19 pm
We have close friends whose daughter was in Shulamit with a small scholarship which was still unaffordable. Of course we'd be willing to show our income and tax statements to receive a tuition break.

Is Shulamit only a girls school? My daughter is currently attending a chabad school which we are not especially happy about but could possibly work for a few more years. But we absolutely will not consider sending our son to a chassidish or litvish school past the age of 5. Are there any modern boys only types of places?

Or perhaps there are schools that are not "Modern" Orthodox per say, but maybe some places that are a little less extreme?

amother

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 2:28 pm
Queens is 20 mins from crown heights. How about ycq?

amother

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 2:34 pm
Is PPY Bais Yaakovy?

Is Shulamits education as good or better than PPY?

Not OP

booboo24

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 2:37 pm
Derech Hatorah for boys... It kinda considered the brother school to Shulamis

chabadnikit

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 2:52 pm
What's YCQ? Queens might be good!

Thanks for that info booboo!

I've read some not amazing things about PPY but would be open to hearing more about it... if anyone has info.

Happy18

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 2:58 pm
Ycq is a mo school in queens. As far as mo tuitions go theirs is considered reasonable. However if you are considering Shulamith is might be too modern for you.

Last edited by Happy18 on Mon, Dec 23 2013, 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

sarahd

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 3:11 pm
YCQ = Yeshiva of Central Queens.

southernima

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 3:24 pm
MO is a pretty broad spectrum...Yeshiva of Flatbush (coed), derech hatorah, shulamith (girls), PPY (not quite bais yaakov but on the boarder). With regards to tuition, sometimes its worth applying and seeing what scholarships you can get. Not sure what the latest is after the hurricaine, but Yeshiva of Belle harbor is also a nice school and quite close to flatbush, a little farther from Crown Heights ...25-40 minutes depending on the time of day.

Barbara

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 3:38 pm
sarahd wrote:
YCQ = Yeshiva of Central Queens.

One thing to remember, though, is that if you stay in Brooklyn, the DOE will pay for transportation. Once you leave your borough, its up to you.

I'm trying to remember all the teams in the elementary school basketball league, which pretty much covers MO schools. Magen David, maybe?

sarahd

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 3:52 pm
Isn't Magen David a Sephardi/Syrian school?

amother

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 3:54 pm
Is yeshiva Bella harbor coed? If yes until what grade? Do most of the kids keep shabbat or not so much? Is the school overall less modern than shulamit?

Barbara

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 3:59 pm
sarahd wrote:
Isn't Magen David a Sephardi/Syrian school?

Maybe. As I said, I'm just trying to go through the basketball league, since the only schools that play are pretty much to the left.

Peanut2

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 4:04 pm
Modern Orthodox schools tend to all offer financial aid.

I don't know how it works in non-Modern schools, but generally with the MO ones I imagine it's a pretty formal thing, with tax forms and lots of other forms. Some may use an outside service to determine how much you should pay.

If you have unusual financial circumstances that you cannot convey on the forms put them down anywhere where they ask this question, and contact the office as well to share your situation.

Good luck!

chabadnikit

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 5:27 pm
Happy- In what way would YCQ be more modern than Shulamit? Are some of the kids not shomer shabbos?

SarahD- I would go for Sephardi if it's a mix. (my kids are half sephardi) If it's only Syrian than probably not. Do you know anything about Magen David?

Barbara- How does the DOE pay for transportation?

chabadnikit

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 5:43 pm
Is Yeshiva of Flatbush also very expensive like Shulamit? Their website looks nice Smile.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics