Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Lymph node in 4 year old

amother

Post Mon, Dec 30 2013, 11:33 am
few months ago I noticed small bump on side of my sons neck when he bent it to the side, when I felt it, felt like small ball. naturally, I freaked out. I ran to urgent care in my neighborhood, he right away dismissed it by saying its just a normal lymph node. but I wasnt calm, so I went to my regular pediatrician, which said same thing- normal lymph node. I'm a real hypochondriac, and still wasnt calm- (crazy me) so I went to a third pediatrician which confirmed that its nothing b"h, especially if it doesnt get bigger. Now, few months later, he still has same thing, its hasnt changed and im wondering if its supposed to get smaller, or it was always that way, but I never noticed it. I also noticed in same area a diff lymph node that is not visible when u look at his neck, just when I feel it, I can feel there is something there. So I am starting to think he just has a neck where lymph nodes are more palpable than other kids....

would you still be concerned about this?? Does anyone else have kids with this issue?
Please advise! TIA!

amother

Post Mon, Dec 30 2013, 2:22 pm
Oh I can totally relate! I also freaked out. I am embarrassed to admit that I invited my neighbors kid for a play date so that I could feel his lymph nodes and compare!!! Yes! I was that crazy. embarrassed

But doctors confirmed that kids lymphatic system are always overactive thus the palpable nodes.

SO RELAX RELAX Not worthy

greenfire

Post Mon, Dec 30 2013, 3:01 pm
the body is full of lymph nodes ... by nature lymph nodes get swollen ... if 3 doctors told you not to worry ... don't worry - be happy

mommee

Post Mon, Dec 30 2013, 3:20 pm
I had/have the same thing with one of my dc. It made/makes me so nervous but my pediatrician also said its nothing to worry about.

roze22

Post Tue, Dec 31 2013, 9:14 am
My younger daughter had a mass on her neck that our pediatrician said was a lymph node. I felt uncomfortable with it, especially since it would grow and seemed to get infected. A second opinion and an ultrasound showed that it was a cyst. We had it removed when she was 18 months old.

If 3 doctors told you not to worry, I would just keep an eye out for changes. It never hurts to get a second opinion, but at some point you have to trust doctors also. If it gets bigger, then I would go back

acccdac

Post Tue, Dec 31 2013, 10:04 am
(my son has this and since his 1st degree relative had hodgkins they sent me for an ultrasound and did a blood test)

You say its a few months later right.....

has he had a cold lately?
if so thats why you are seeing it.

if not for your own sanity call up the docs office, you dont have to bring him in, and say that you came in 3 months ago, and it never got smaller. You are concerned, should you be?

Talya

Post Tue, Dec 31 2013, 10:34 am
After several months I would check it again. Lymph nodes swell when body is fighting infection but that should go away with the infection and not last months. It's likely nothing (maybe he has mild chronic sinusitis or something causing constant inflammation) but definitely have it looked at again.

smiledr

Post Tue, Dec 31 2013, 11:35 am
I'd call the dr - maybe have done bloodwork to be sure though lymph nodes do swell when fighting infection. Still , can't hurt to be too careful when it's something like this.

libby1

Post Tue, Dec 31 2013, 3:49 pm
its very normal thing when child has a cold or infection and then can stay a while if three docs say ok then RELAX!!!
I too would have ran all over
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics